1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Directv slimline dish already installed at parents house.. a few questions

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by jrodfoo, Sep 25, 2009.

1. jrodfoo

jrodfoo Godfather

Apr 9, 2007
    Hi All,

at my parents house, there is a slimline dish installed and ready to go. It's been there for about a year, not used. It worked fine when I was there but moved away to VA, took my receiver and they didn't get service.

Question is. They wanted to get Directv now, all they need is on HD receiver. Also I wanted to do the referral option. I was just asking what would be the best route to take? They're not really that technically advanced. Would they still send out a tech to make sure the dish is properly aligned and install the receiver? I was just wondering what the best route to take so it goes a smooth as possibe.

Thanks in advance!

2. HDTVsportsfan

HDTVsportsfan New Member

Nov 29, 2005
    It seems they would send out a tech to install the receiver and check dish signals and tweak it if needed. This would seem to be just a normal first time customer install except for the the dish already being there. Which the tech will be happy about if already installed properly.

3. jrodfoo

jrodfoo Godfather

Apr 9, 2007
    Yeah It should be fine. I think the grandkids accidently hit it with a football once.. :nono2: doubt it knocked it out of line but it would probably warrant a check..which they would notice when they were installing and checking the signals.

Thanks!

4. BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    I would NOT mention to anyone the existance of the existing dish. Let the installer come out to do a normal install. The existing dish could be damaged (a minor bend/dent can ruin it), and the LNB should be swapped out, and who knows if it was mounted correctly or not? Better to have everyone involve expecting to install a new dish. If that turns out not to be necessary, great, but never assume...