1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DirecTV Spam...

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by Ken S, Jun 10, 2009.

1. Ken S

Ken S RIP

Feb 12, 2007
    It appears that DirecTV is ignoring the email settings on my account and sending a slew of marketing email to my account...each one telling me I had requested to receive their wonderful offers for Sunday Ticket, credit cards, etc.

I checked my account and my settings are still to not receive email from them. So, has something gone wrong...or like the Do Not Call list are they just ignoring the settings and doing what they please again?

I've sent an email to them asking why I'm getting all of these offers...we'll see what the response is.

2. barryb

barryb New Member

Aug 26, 2007
    I am not seeing much of any emails from DirecTV Ken.

3. CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    karma catching up with you Ken. My settings are set to not receive the e-mails and I do not

4. David MacLeod

David MacLeod New Member

Jan 29, 2008
    same issue here, checked this morning and email was enabled even though 2 days ago I specifically disabled it.

5. BubblePuppy

BubblePuppy Good night dear Smoke... love you & "got your butt

Nov 3, 2006
    Interesting. I'm not getting any Em"spam", just my bill notification.
    Ya'll might want to call Dtv, and ask what the issue is.

6. Ken S

Ken S RIP

Feb 12, 2007
    karma?

hahahaha

I'm sorry dear DirecTV deity I did not face to the West and bow before you today...please allow me to confess my sins and receive absolution.

Do you wear a cloth or hat of any type when you pray to them or is it done naked in front of your satellite dish?

7. Ken S

Ken S RIP

Feb 12, 2007
    I know...I hadn't gotten any for years...then all of a sudden a mini flood. Perhaps it is my sins catching up with me...although I'd be willing to bet it's either a bad database or over-zealous marketing department. I did send an email asking about the problem...I'll post the response should I get one.

8. hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001 Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2004
    Obviously an e-mail stalking situation :lol:...as I have my settings turned "on" to get everything...and there simply has not been that much received here on this end (other than the customary billing and whats new newsletters).

Maybe they need a new penpal? ;):D

9. Hutchinshouse

Hutchinshouse Hall Of Fame

Sep 27, 2006
    If DIRECTV continues to send you junk, add their email address to your spam filter. You can also file a complaint: https://www.ftccomplaintassistant.gov/

10. Flugelman

Flugelman Legend

Nov 20, 2007
    There, fixed it for ya...:D

11. Ken S

Ken S RIP

Feb 12, 2007
    :lol:

12. Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    I get fair amounts of spam for satellite and PC based cable solutions... I'm pretty sure they aren't authorized by the companies themselves, just people spamming to get references or installations.

So I wonder if this is really DIRECTV "spam" or someone spamming using DIRECTV's name?

Cheers,
    Tom

13. TigersFanJJ

TigersFanJJ Hall Of Fame

Feb 17, 2006
    :thats:

14. Drew2k

Drew2k New Member

Aug 16, 2006
    I have email preferences set at two places on DIRECTV.com, I believe. One is under my account, so I get my bill notification, plus other promotional email messages. I also subscribed on the Investor page, so I get DIRECTV messages from newsdesk@broadcast.shareholder.com

I've not tried to stop the messages, as I like perusing them, but it would be interesting to see if "stop" requests would be honored!

15. Ken S

Ken S RIP

Feb 12, 2007
    Tom,

These were DirecTV ads. They had complete links to directv.com and the advertisements/info was DirecTV specific. I think I deleted them already or I'd post them here.

From memory:

1. Was informing me about the digital cutover and how lucky I was to have DirecTV because everything was taken care of.

2. Another was a direct ad for the DirecTV credit card and how I could get wonderful DirecTV services with it including Sunday Ticket.

3. There was another for DirecTV premium services...I think Showtime was the focus, but it was also promoting Sunday Ticket and some other stuff.

There were a couple more but I just hit the spam key on them and didn't bother reading further.

Could it have been a phishing attempt? Ehh...I don't think so. I check pretty closely for that stuff and their links were correct.

It's not that big a deal unless it continues...although someone at DirecTV should be concerned about this issue as it's in violation of their own policies.

16. Greg Alsobrook

Greg Alsobrook Lifetime Achiever

Apr 1, 2007
    I received email number 1 yesterday or day before, but I am signed up to receive them...

17. Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Ken S,

Ah well, it needed to be asked. Sorry you got them--and hopefully that will be the end of them.

Cheers,
    Tom

18. Ken S

Ken S RIP

Feb 12, 2007
    Tom,

I found one of them in my spam area...checked it very completely it was a DirecTV ad. If you want to see it I can forward it to you via email, but I don't really think it's worth much time or effort.

I got a response from DirecTV, but it was just a response telling me that I was being removed from the email list. Since, I should have already been off that list that wasn't a lot of help, but I'm not going to waste much more time on it.

19. scrybigtv

scrybigtv Godfather

Jan 25, 2008

:lol: Funniest post I've ever read.

20. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    How odd. I haven't received any unwelcome messages from them at all.