1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DirecTV thinks very of horseracing

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by 6tv's, Apr 15, 2012.

1. 6tv's

6tv's Mentor

Mar 1, 2008
    It's very obvious DirecTV thinks horseracing is not worthy programming. Almost every genre of sports on DirecTV there are multiple channels that show similar sports. Unfortunately DirecTV has only one horseracing channel (TVG). Why can Dish have all the horseracing channels (TVG, HRTV, and a horseracing package of channels) But DirecTV only one? Year after year I request HRTV to be put on DirecTV but it never happens. What the hell is the problem here? I mean really, why is HRTV still not on DirecTV? Can anyone give me some good info about what actually is going on with this situation. Please Please DirecTV give us horseracing fans what we want and deserve HRTV !!!!

2. kaminar

kaminar Mentor

Mar 25, 2012
  3. RACJ2

RACJ2 Hall Of Fame

Aug 2, 2008
    Unfortunately, you are asking for a channel that may not have broad based appeal. Other then the times I'm just channel surfing through the 600's, I've never even watched TVG. I enjoy watching the Triple Crown races, but that's about it. Hope they add it for you someday. If not, you may have to think about switching to another provider.

4. adkinsjm

adkinsjm Icon

Mar 25, 2003
    It's true. DirecTV doesn't think highly of horse racing.

5. bixler

bixler Hall Of Fame

Oct 14, 2008
    PA
    Check out post 2 in the thread you started in 2009..........

http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=162737&highlight=TVG

6. zimm7778

zimm7778 Hall Of Fame

Nov 11, 2007
    I had never even heard of HRTV until I read this thread. I also had no idea there was more than 1 horse racing channel.

7. west99999

west99999 Icon

May 11, 2007
    I would say they don't have it because as long as I have been around this industry you are the 1st person I have ever heard say why don't we have more horse racing?

8. APB101

APB101 Icon

Sep 1, 2010
    Michigan
    Perhaps DirecTV will get Horse Racing TV (HRTV) but will wait on adding it in HD. And the capacity for HD is pretty limited these days. I wouldn't dismiss this possibility.

9. zimm7778

zimm7778 Hall Of Fame

Nov 11, 2007
    Also, I saw no horse racing package on Dishs website. After reading this I got curious as to what it would be and consist of. I found they offer Racetrack TV by itself for $50 a month.

10. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    Lately it seems that we could be adding quite a bit more. Capacity isnt as limited as we thought if we can get one more HD channel per transponder.

11. fluffybear

fluffybear Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jun 19, 2004
    Peachtree...
    DirecTV could be playing it cautious, the last thing they want to is to lose a bird (or part of one) and have to start removing channels.

12. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    Sure, they certainly made it seamless when they took D10 offline.

13. maartena

maartena Hall Of Fame

Nov 1, 2010
    The problem might be that too little people actually want the channel. Yes, Dish has it.... but they don't have NFL, and might feel they need HRTV and other Horseracing channels to keep the horseracing fans with Dish.

In here lies the problem with niche channels: If among satellite subscribers, 90% of horseracing lovers already subscribe to Dish, it is going to be a very hard sell to the DirecTV board of directors, as the 10% of horse race lovers that have DirecTV is a really small amount of people, and they now would need to attract actual Dish subscribers back to DirecTV.

It's the same with international packaging: Dish already has a well established Indian and other Asian clientele because they carry Asian programming, where DirecTV only carries a minimal amount. Naturally, most Indians I know (and I know a few) have Dish as their provider.

There are a few more channels like that, and this is a situation where you most likely have to choose what is most important to you: The horse racing channels, OR the other channels/services that DirecTV offers.

No single provider will have ALL channels you want. There might be important channels you won't want to give up that Dish doesn't carry, which is why you are sticking it out with DirecTV.

I do believe that DirecTV has some bandwidth constraints, and has to be fairly picky in which channels to add until they launch a new bird in 2014. No one really knows, but if there is room for another 15-20 or so HD channels on current satellites (which is what some people seem to think), I don't think any of the horse racing channels is on the top 15 list of channels to add.

Not to push you away in any way, but I do believe you probably won't be seeing any horse racing channels till after 2014 some time. And even after that.... it is still "iffy". If I want horse racing channels this year, I probably would start making arrangements to either switch to Dish, or add Dish network to your home to 1 TV and the cheapest package that has the horseracing channels.

14. dcowboy7

dcowboy7 Hall Of Fame

May 22, 2008
    Pequannock, NJ
    HRTV doesnt have an HD channel just like TVG doesnt....i miss michelle yu on tvg & she was just starting to get to know harness racing too.

Fios has HRTV too.

15. APB101

APB101 Icon

Sep 1, 2010
    Michigan
    I know. TVG, on DirecTV's ch. 602, is supposedly going to launch this year in high definition. I don't know any latest with Horse Racing TV (not carried on DirecTV but available from Dish Network).

16. noahproblem

noahproblem Legend

Aug 19, 2009
    HRTV would have been a better add a few years ago, but now while they do show racing during the day six days a week, they hardly show any racing at night, and none on Tuesdays, focusing on other aspects of horses in sports (e.g. rodeo and equestrian), and showing highlights of older races:

http://www.hrtv.com/schedule/

Having said that, I'd watch it during racing times for tracks TVG doesn't cover (e.g. Santa Anita, Fair Grounds and Gulfstream in fall and winter, Churchill and Arlington in spring and summer).

I'm not sure about $50 a month for RTN - that seems geared more towards the serious online bettor than for a fan.

17. tgater

tgater Godfather

Jul 24, 2007
    Is there a market to justify the cost to carry the channel? Does Comcast or other providers besides DISH carry the station?

Every year at Thanksgiving one of my sister in-laws, who trains horses and riders and all of the horse show stuff, refuses to watch football with us because she feels her sport doesn't get the recognition it deserves. I tell her that the numbers have to add up. How much revenue is HRTV going to generate. I don’t know much about the horse stuff. I do know that there are three main events each year combined probably do not bring in anywhere near the revenue that the super bowl brings in.

And if D* was going to carry it what would it cost all of us?

18. zimm7778

zimm7778 Hall Of Fame

Nov 11, 2007
    I don't follow horse racing either. But in the case of Dish at $50 a month for 1 channel I would say they are not getting all that many subs in comparison to others a little more reasonably priced. That said, if Directv priced it this way presumably it wouldn't cost us all.

19. noahproblem

noahproblem Legend

Aug 19, 2009
    I'm sorry, I should have been clearer - the RTN package on Dish is a set of channels (not just 1) that show continuous live feeds directly from the racetracks (most tracks that send out a simulcast signal to other tracks are shown), as opposed to TVG and HRTV which show selected races (usually from major racetracks) and provide commentary from "experts" on whom they think will win each race (YMMV as to how "expert" these picks really are, but that's another story :D).

20. mreposter

mreposter Hall Of Fame

Jul 29, 2006
    There are lots of channels not currently carried by Directv:

Disney Junior
    Epix premium movie pack
    Military History
    Africa Channel
    Fashion TV
    Anime Network
    Fear Net
    Numerous Spanish-language channels
    Here TV
    Funimation HD
    and many more

Just because Directv doesn't carry Pets.tv doesn't mean they hate puppies and kittens. No one provider has it all. Many people have expressed interest in a wide variety of new programming & services we'd like to see from Directv, me included, but there's only so much the company can offer.