1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Directv to be raising prices - thanks Dennis!

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by Karl Foster, Jan 15, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Karl Foster

Karl Foster Hall Of Fame

Mar 23, 2002
    Thanks to Dennis who first posted this in the Dish Network discussion. It looks like Directv will be following suit by also giving us a price increase:

http://biz.yahoo.com/rc/030115/media_hughes_latam_1.html

The last paragraph says that Total Choice w/locals will be around $39. I'm guessing it will go from $37.99 to $39.99. I don't know about TC+, TC Premier, etc. The article doesn't say anything about those packages.

When Directv restructured the packages last year, those of us with Total Choice w/locals and the Family Pack actually had a price decrease of $4 when it became Total Choice Plus w/locals, so I guess we can't complain too loudly. In my area, it is still cheaper than digital cable by about $5 per month for a comparable package.

I guess it was destined to happen :(

2. platinum

platinum Godfather/Supporter

Oct 28, 2002
    I've had D* since 95 and had only one increase so i'm not going to complain.

3. Mike123abc

Mike123abc Hall Of Fame/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Jul 19, 2002
    Price increases by both D* and E* are really caused more by the rate increases popular content providers are charging. D/E have not really been in the position to raise prices just to make more money, they have to compete with cable. Now that cable ratings are passing network TV, expect them to be charging more and more and more.

4. raj2001

raj2001 Icon/Supporter

Nov 2, 2002
    Oh well, at least they're still cheaper than cable for basic packages.

5. platinum

platinum Godfather/Supporter

Oct 28, 2002
    And D* has the YES network

6. CARL O.

CARL O. Cool Member

Nov 4, 2002
    Well after the merger failed, Echostar had to pay Hugeh 600 million $, so naturally E* would raise their rates.But why would DTV? Hope they add more chn's.

7. Richard

Richard Legend

Apr 23, 2002
    South Texas
    no complaints here, don't need any new channels either.

8. DCSholtis

DCSholtis Up The Irons!

Aug 7, 2002
    From what has been posted over at DBS Forums the rumor has it that Total Choice will go to 38.99......up a buck.....Total Choice w/Locals...to 41.99..... up 2 bucks....and a POSSIBLE bundling of some packs again...Like Total Choice + Locals+HBO for 50.99....dollar decrease.....Supposedly Total Choice Premier will stay at 81.99...no increase....we will just have to wait and see.....Ive been with them since 95 as well...no way in hell would I consider a switch...Ive been very happy with Directv

9. pez2002

pez2002 Hall Of Fame

Dec 13, 2002
    Bundiling up the packages Agian would make sense
    totalchoice/hbo/starz $50 a month sounds cool If i could have it my way

10. raj2001

raj2001 Icon/Supporter

Nov 2, 2002
    The whole reason they had this merger proposal was because DTV is struggling financially. Now they're looking at ways to cut costs and boost revenue.

In that article they also said that DTVLA was going to file for bankruptcy soon. I personally think that DTVLA will go under, mainly because Latin American and Caribbean cable companies offer much better packages and pricing, and local channels, which DTVLA does not. C-Band systems are also very popular. Their main marketing pitch there has been picture quality (it's better than USA DTV) and accessibility from rural areas.

11. catman

catman Godfather

Jun 27, 2002
    The reason for the rate increase is . Your networks like lifetime , usa all want MORE money . They get money from ads . That's not enough . They need more . Cut out the commerials and a show would run 2 hours not , 3 hours as it is now .

12. raj2001

raj2001 Icon/Supporter

Nov 2, 2002

I wonder if DirecTV can offer a package without Lifetime and charge me the old price or less? I usually block out Lifetime because it's feminist and sexist and always portrays men as being the scum of the earth.

13. Brett

Brett Legend

Jan 14, 2003
    Total Choice is currently $31.99. I dont think it will go to $38.99.

Do you mean Total Choice with locals?

I just hope they keep Total Choice Plus with locals at $39.99 or if they need to price increase it, not more than a $1.

14. Jacob S

Jacob S Hall Of Fame

Apr 14, 2002
    The $38.99 price was a bundled price with locals included. Is $38.99 the old price or the new price? I figure they would make it $39.99 to make it an even price.

15. DCSholtis

DCSholtis Up The Irons!

Aug 7, 2002
    Sorry I meant Total Choice Plus without locals.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.