1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

DIRECTV to Carry 11 HBO/Cinemax Channels In HD

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by Earl Bonovich, Jun 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich Lifetime Achiever

Nov 15, 2005
    DIRECTV to Carry 11 HBO/Cinemax Channels In HD

See the rest of the article at TVPredictions

Other articles there discuss that HBO will have all 26 of their networks in HD... just not confirmed for DirecTV.

2. RobertE

RobertE DIRECTV A-Team

Jun 9, 2006
    WooHoo....Bring'em on. :dance01: :icon_bb: :jump3: :joy: :dance:

Could you please add these channels to the Predicted sticky?

3. compnurd

compnurd Hall Of Fame

Apr 23, 2007
    Evans City PA
    Yeh no need

4. bonscott87

bonscott87 Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07

Jan 21, 2003
    Not *that's* what I'm talking about. Between those and 5 Starz channels in HD I'm all set.

And Kudo's to Swanni for actually getting a scoop vs. just copying from the forums. I haven't seen this anywhere else today.

5. say-what

say-what DIRECTV A-Team

Dec 14, 2006
    New Orleans
    Good, more HD content!

6. Earl Bonovich

Nov 15, 2005
  7. RAD

RAD DIRECTV A-Team

Aug 5, 2002
    Dripping...
    You think that somewhere in there that they would at lease be able to squeeze in HBO Comedy (SD or HD) somwhere.

8. Steve

Steve DIRECTV A-Team

Aug 22, 2006
    Lower...
    Of course I just cancelled HBO post-Sopranos, after 20-something years as a subscriber. May have to reinstate it now! :)

Interesting timing by HBO. Probably important for them to get some good news for subscribers out there. Many either cancelled or are prepared to cancel at the end of the month, in protest over the Soprano's ending. /s

9. Earl Bonovich

Nov 15, 2005
    I clipped it by just happening to be there when it posted.
    The 26 channel article was there, and when I refereshed... then there was the DirecTV one.

10. Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Did you copy a PM I sent to Earl? Your first paragraph was almost verbatim! :D

Woohoo, I'm ready.

Cheers,
    Tom

11. say-what

say-what DIRECTV A-Team

Dec 14, 2006
    New Orleans
    They're probably saving that spot for QVCHD :lol:

12. DCSholtis

DCSholtis Up The Irons!

Aug 7, 2002
    Good start. Hopefully D* will pick up the rest but if not. I'll be happy.

13. loudo

loudo DIRECTV A-Team

Mar 24, 2005
    Central Maine
    Interesting thought, "the rest". While D* is the leaders in a lot of areas they sure are falling behind in the amount of Premium movie channels. Here is the current amounts by provider.

I am including this areas local cable, and I know the numbers may vary from cable company to cable company, BHN.

Just wondering why we get fewer than the other services.

Be nice to have more, to choose from, but I am really looking forward to all the new ones in HD this fall.

14. oldschoolecw

oldschoolecw HarpoonIPA

Jan 25, 2007
    Halifax, MA
    I was thinking well what about all the other HBO channels as well and I must say I am very disappointed about not seeing other HBO channels added to list.

15. morgantown

morgantown Icon

Nov 15, 2005
    Great step in the right direction. Personally I'd much rather get what we already have in SD in HD before worrying about "new" premiums, so this is good news.

After that, expansion is great too... :)

16. Jhon69

Jhon69 Hall Of Fame

Mar 27, 2006
    Central San...

Read Page 2.:rolleyes:

17. morgantown

morgantown Icon

Nov 15, 2005
    Page two was about HBO's announcement...not DTV's. No announcement for carriage w/DTV other than those listed on page one.

18. bonscott87

bonscott87 Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07

Jan 21, 2003
    Once D11 makes it up safely then they would have the bandwidth to add the rest if they so choose.

All the announcements are starting to push the limits of what they can put on just D10. I honestly didn't think they'd get close to 150 that both sats will provide but holy cow they may get close within a couple years easy. They may just need to get that ground spare, D12, up and running and in the sky to provide more bandwidth, assuming they have the in orbit capacity to do so.

19. Steve

Steve DIRECTV A-Team

Aug 22, 2006
    Lower...
    In addition, if D* replaces the first generation Tandberg MPEG-4 encoders they bought in 2005 with the new, second generation EN8090, they may be able to deliver 3 channels in the same bandwidth that 2 take today. Here's a quote from the brochure:

"The EN8090 Encoder excels in encoding performance. Supporting a range of horizontal resolutions at 1080i and 720p, extraordinary picture quality is supported at under 6 Mbps with improved visible artifact removal. This new level of performance represents up to a 50% improvement over currently deployed MPEG-4 AVC HD encoders, enabling operators to pack more services into the available bandwidth without sacrificing video quality."

/s

20. mganga

mganga Godfather

Dec 4, 2006
    guess i need to start diggin' around in the garage for those BBC's

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.