1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

DirecTV to DISH network installation same dish possible

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by mg170, Oct 30, 2013.

1. mg170

mg170 New Member

Oct 30, 2013
    Hi
    I currently have a DirecTV dish (Slimline) with SWM5 setup. One line coming from SWM5 to splitter and from there to individual receivers and power supply.

Can I use the same setup and attach "DISH network" receivers? Probably not quiet, but what would I need to change out or add for it to work with "DISH network" receivers?

Thank you already for your information and help.

-Marc

2. gov

gov Legend

Jan 11, 2013
    A DISH dish would be a nice start.

:coffee

3. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    Get a DISH dish. It is the best solution. Any attempt to use the DirecTV dish would require reaiming and new switches (the SWM switches do not work for DISH). You're just creating a headache trying to use the wrong company's dish. (The same goes for converting from DISH to DirecTV.)

4. david_jr

david_jr Godfather

Dec 10, 2006
    A new dish is part of the new customer free installation so it shouldn't be an issue unless there is some reason that it can't be changed out. If that is the case the Dish tech will find a suitable location for their dish and install it there.

BTW welcome.

5. WestDC

WestDC DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Feb 9, 2008
    The Dish (dish) is a 2" mount and all the installer should need to do is replace the Dish with his (dish) on the existing roof mount

6. RBA

RBA Active Member

Apr 14, 2013
    TEXAS
    Sorry wrong information the DISH mount is 1 5/8 not 2" . DISH 1000.4 or 1000.2 is a different configuration with different focal points and if you are going with a Hopper you need 2 cables to the node. A COMPLETE REPLACEMENT!

7. Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Leapin' Lizard Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    He may be able to still use the coax... depending on how many receivers and what kind he has. But I think that's the only thing he could re-use.

8. Nov 1, 2013 #8 of 13
    RBA

RBA Active Member

Apr 14, 2013
    TEXAS
    He states he only has 1 line from SWM so it might be usable but he will need to add a second cable to the node.

9. Nov 2, 2013 #9 of 13
    Stewart Vernon

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    Since we don't know what receivers he is installing... he could be talking about installing a single ViP receiver, in which case he would only need the one cable.

But, likely you are correct, and he is going to install something that needs more cable too.

10. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    Mediterranea...
    if he will not do the installation himself, all the posts and the discussion are meaningless

11. RocketFoot

RocketFoot New Member

Feb 7, 2006
    I just got Directv installed and the installer told me it was against company policy to even touch the old, unused Dish Network dish I currently have on my roof. He elected to install the Directv dish on the opposite side of the roof. Now I have 2 dishes on my roof...LOL!

12. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    Roof mounts are tricky. If the new installer touches the old mount and then your roof leaks who are you going to blame? The original installer or the last person to touch it?

13. Stewart Vernon

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    Yep... and the companies will point fingers at each other too... Dish will say "it didn't leak until DirecTV touched it" while DirecTV will say "If it had been installed correctly by Dish then we could have removed it correctly"... so better to be safe than sorry and not touch work you didn't have a hand in yourself.