1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

DirecTV to hit 5 million subscribers with $3 monthly sports surcharge

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by Athlon646464, Jul 16, 2013.

1. Athlon646464

Athlon646464 Gold Members DBSTalk Gold Club

Feb 23, 2007
    Uxbridge, MA
    DirecTV to hit 5 million subscribers with $3 monthly sports surcharge

CEO Mike White says 'sports business model is broken'

DirecTV will soon begin charging about 5 million subscribers in New York, Los Angeles and other markets with expensive regional sports networks monthly surcharges of $3.

Last year, the top satellite TV provider began charging new subscribers in Los Angeles and New York an additional $3 monthly to cover the costs of RSNs such as Time Warner Cable SportsNet and YES Network.

But White told analysts on DirecTV's earnings call Thursday that the company will be forced to charge existing subscribers in those markets, which he said represent about 20 percent of its subscriber base. DirecTV counted 20.08 million U.S. subscribers at the end of the fourth quarter.

Full Story Here

2. damondlt

damondlt New Member

Feb 27, 2006
    Newfoundland...
    Yea we know, I've been paying and RSN fee since March. This story is from February

3. Athlon646464

Athlon646464 Gold Members DBSTalk Gold Club

Feb 23, 2007
    Uxbridge, MA
    Woops - it hit my radar today.......

I'll kill it from the home page. Thanks for the heads up.

1 person likes this.
  4. JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon Hall Of Fame

Jul 21, 2008
    will LA subs see an $5-$6+ one to cover the new sports net LA?

5. 242424

242424 AllStar

Mar 22, 2012
    Now the new Fox Sports 1 wants a bigger chunk

6. Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz Day Sleeper DBSTalk Club

Mar 23, 2002
    Sacramento, CA
    Can we opt out of the sports channels? Pretty please? With sugar on it?

Yes, I think the fees have gotten re-donk-ulous.

7. inf0z

inf0z Legend

Oct 15, 2011
    Yes - if you change to the entertainment package you can. This package is 100% sports free with the exception of sports that may play on your local channels (ABC, NBC, CBS, Fox etc..)

1 person likes this.
  8. wingrider01

wingrider01 Hall Of Fame

Sep 9, 2005
    Not good enough, that package is missing a lot of channels that are used in this household, Directv needs to restructure and pull all sports channels into their own package.

9. Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson 6EQUJ5 WOW! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 24, 2007
    Sports channels want huge sums per subscriber. This leads to additional fees.

If you believe the reports networks like Yes and SNY cost ≈$2.40 per subscriber and ESPN is approaching $5 per sub…which has got to be approaching the highest per channel cost we’ve got.

Providers can’t keep paying these amounts to carry sports channels. I think Mike White is right in saying 'sports business model is broken'. I’ll bet the high cost is what’s keeping DIRECTV & the PAC-12 Networks from reaching an agreement. And, now Fox wants a bump in per sub fees for Fox Sports 1 (FS1) coming next month (Speed is changing to Fox Sports 1 next month).

As near as I can tell, ESPN started the ball rolling. They wanted high prices and nobody wanted to be the provider who doesn’t carry ESPN so they all started paying the ever increasing carriage fees. It’s just snowballed from there. DIRECTV can't keep eating the cost so now it comes back on us.

Gotta pay the athletes and owners; so the teams need the TV contracts; the networks pay the ever growing contracts to carry the games; the providers have to pay the higher carriage costs...So,the subscribers have to pay higher fees to cover the higher carriage costs, to pay the ever growing contracts that the teams need so they can pay the athletes and owners millions of dollars each year…and it just keeps growing. :(

Mike

10. 242424

242424 AllStar

Mar 22, 2012

11. FenixTX

FenixTX Godfather

Nov 11, 2005
    I thought even the entertainment package had ESPN in it?

12. slice1900

slice1900 Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2013
    Iowa
    They've already got some football games on the schedule for the fall, I'm sure there will be plenty of people who can't get FS1 and will be pissed when they can't watch their team. If none of the big providers add it, at least everyone would be in the same boat. But I'm sure a few will knuckle under at the 11th hour hoping to use the competition not having it and hoping those who missed the game can be enticed to switch.

13. Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson 6EQUJ5 WOW! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 24, 2007
    I just checked and all the packages have ESPN.

Mike

14. Crow159

Crow159 DIRECTV A-Team

May 23, 2007
    I think, at the very least, there should be a way to opt out of the RSNs if your area has the additional sports surcharge. If there is going to be an additional fee for some markets, there should be some way to avoid that fee in those markets as well.

1 person likes this.
  15. damondlt

damondlt New Member

Feb 27, 2006
    Newfoundland...
    Agree, they are forcing this charge on us.
    Not everyone wants to subscribe to the entertainment pack.

Not much of a choice if you ask me.

16. inf0z

inf0z Legend

Oct 15, 2011
    I stand corrected it looks like it does carry EPSN. Just doesn't have ESPNu and ESPN News

17. ThomasM

ThomasM RF Engineer

Jul 20, 2007
    Milwaukee, WI
    +1

18. whitewolf8214

whitewolf8214 AllStar

Jun 12, 2012
    +2 If it hits here It is going off!! :)

19. inkahauts

inkahauts DIRECTV A-Team

Nov 13, 2006
    If only it was as easy as it is to say that. It just doesn't work that way today. But I think someday it might. More different packages with fewer channels in each package would make it so much easier.

20. PrinceLH

PrinceLH New Member

Feb 18, 2003
    I like my sports, but it's time for a stand. Players and sports leagues are generating too much money and they don't need to pick our pockets at will. I'm willing to forgo YES, MSG and SCNY, plus ESPN. They're just not that important to me anymore. If I want their games, I'll subscribe to a sports package like Extra Innings or Center Ice. Directv needs to address this, head on, and tell those sports networks that they're going to de-link their services from the rest of their packages and make them stand on their own two feet. I could see these markets backing down, if they where to do this.

1 person likes this.