1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

DIRECTV to Offer Local Channels in 16 New Markets in HD

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by Sixto, May 17, 2010.

1. May 17, 2010 #1 of 208
    Sixto

Sixto DIRECTV A-Team

Nov 18, 2005
    DIRECTV to Offer Local Channels in 172 Markets Including 16 New Markets in HD

More Than 97 Percent of U.S. TV Homes Will Have Access to Local Channels from DIRECTV; Roll Out of New Local Markets to Begin in June

2. May 17, 2010 #2 of 208
    thelucky1

thelucky1 Icon

Feb 23, 2009
    DIRECTV to Offer Local Channels in 172 Markets Including 16 New Markets in HD
    More Than 97 Percent of U.S. TV Homes Will Have Access to Local Channels from DIRECTV; Roll Out of New Local Markets to Begin in June

EL SEGUNDO, Calif., May 17, 2010 (BUSINESS WIRE) -- DIRECTV, the world's most popular video service, will begin the rollout of 16 new HD local-channel markets next month, providing more than 97 percent of U.S. TV households access to local channels by the end of this year. When the rollout is complete, DIRECTV will offer local channels in 172 markets, including local HD in 155 markets.

DIRECTV will roll-out the following new HD local markets, beginning in June with Biloxi-Gulfport, Miss.; Idaho Falls-Pocatello, Idaho; and Joplin-Pittsburg, Mo. In the third quarter, DIRECTV will launch Albany, Ga.; Columbus, Ga.; Gainesville, Fla.; and Montgomery-Selma, Ark. In the fourth quarter, DIRECTV will launch Abilene-Sweetwater, Texas; Amarillo, Texas; Binghamton, N.Y.; Clarksburg-Weston, W.Va.; Lubbock, Texas; Sioux City, Iowa; Terre Haute, Ind.; Wheeling-Steubenville, W.Va.; and Wichita Falls-Lawton, Texas. For more HD local launch details, customers can visit www.directv.com/hdlocals.

"The launch of national HD channels capture the headlines, but the ability to watch local news, weather and primetime programming in HD or SD, remains an important part of our customers' daily viewing," said Derek Chang, executive vice president, Content Strategy and Development for DIRECTV. "And that's why we continue to expand our local channel service. Now more than 97 percent of TV homes in the U.S. will have access to DIRECTV local channels and a true alternative to other TV providers in their communities."

For customers who live within the designed area of each market, DIRECTV will deliver HD programming from the primary broadcast networks - ABC, CBS, FOX and NBC - where available.

To receive DIRECTV's HD local programming, customers must have an H20 or HR20 DIRECTV Plus(R) HD DVR receiver or above, and a Ka/Ku band dish. More information on programming, pricing and equipment is available at directv.com.

With the launch of locals in these markets, DIRECTV is rolling out a special offer for customers who need to upgrade their equipment: The first receiver is free and all additional receivers are only $49, along with free standard professional installation. To upgrade, customers should call 1-800-DIRECTV no earlier than three weeks before their market's confirmed launch date.

Current DIRECTV HD customers will continue to pay only a $10 fee to access their HD programming, allowing them to see their local channels along with DIRECTV's premier lineup of national channels in HD that are tied to their particular base programming package.

Customers can visit directv.com to learn more about the full complement of DIRECTV's HD programming lineup including existing channels, new channels, details on equipment required for the new DIRECTV HD services and updates on when the new markets will launch. DIRECTV recently announced the addition of more than 30 new HD channels that will begin rolling out this month, bringing DIRECTV's total HD channel lineup to more than 160.

3. May 17, 2010 #3 of 208
    jefbal99

jefbal99 Hall Of Fame

Sep 7, 2007
    Still no Lansing, MI...Why the hate :( :confused:

4. May 17, 2010 #4 of 208
    Coca Cola Kid

Coca Cola Kid Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2009
    Mt. Morris, MI
    There's a new invention called an antenna...

5. May 17, 2010 #5 of 208
    Fluthy

Fluthy Legend

Feb 8, 2008
    I have a question about locals. I live in the Sioux Falls, SD DMA but I can pick up the Sioux City locals via antenna (sometimes). My question is now that Sioux City is getting locals via DirecTV will I also be able to get those locals on the dish?

6. May 17, 2010 #6 of 208
    jefbal99

jefbal99 Hall Of Fame

Sep 7, 2007
    I just can't figure out how Lansing, MI continually gets passed by for HD LiL? Dish has had the Lansing locals in HD for going on two years now.

According to the lists on this site, after the 3 are added in June, Lansing was the largest DMA that didn't have HD LiL. Now 13 smaller DMAs are on the list?

It shouldn't be an LRF issue because Dish and DirecTV share the uplink facility, they've shared it for years...

For now, stuck in the 3% without HD LiL, so glad that I insisted on an antenna when I switched to DirecTV...

7. May 17, 2010 #7 of 208
    BudShark

BudShark New Member

Aug 11, 2003
    Considering the AM21s in his signature... one would ask... Why the hate for a guy asking for a few LiLs???

8. May 17, 2010 #8 of 208
    bamaweather

bamaweather Icon

Jan 18, 2009
    I'm a little surprised by the lack of higher-ranked DMAs in this announcement. It's good news for the cities listed (including Montgomery-Selma, Arkansas:rolleyes: ). But I would have expected to see at least a few out of Lansing, Eugene, Fargo, Lafayette, Salinas, Bakersfield, and Yakima.

9. May 17, 2010 #9 of 208
    hockey_puck

hockey_puck Cool Member

Apr 19, 2009
    FARGO DAMNIT!

10. May 17, 2010 #10 of 208
    Coca Cola Kid

Jul 19, 2009
    Mt. Morris, MI
    Maybe a better antenna would be a good investment for him then.

D* probably doesn't like Michigan State fans. :lol:

11. May 17, 2010 #11 of 208
    SPACEMAKER

SPACEMAKER Freethinker

Dec 11, 2007
    Mason, MI
    Why in the hell is Lansing MI being skipped over again? Really pisses me off. I have OTA but the tuners in my HR20 suck balls. Every windy day is an OTA clusterf**k.

D* is the only provider in the area without HD Locals.

12. May 17, 2010 #12 of 208
    Coca Cola Kid

Jul 19, 2009
    Mt. Morris, MI
    D* probably doesn't like Michigan State fans. :lol:

13. May 17, 2010 #13 of 208
    SPACEMAKER

SPACEMAKER Freethinker

Dec 11, 2007
    Mason, MI

:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

14. May 17, 2010 #14 of 208
    SPACEMAKER

SPACEMAKER Freethinker

Dec 11, 2007
    Mason, MI
    Even funnier the 2nd time...:nono:

15. May 17, 2010 #15 of 208
    Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon Chancellor

Jun 7, 2004
    Dawson, Georgia
    I know Columbus, GA is supposed to be coming in September/October. I REALLY hope Albany, GA is sooner, but I'm not hopeful. :(

It will be REALLY interesting to see what the LIL lineup for Albany, GA looks like! :rolleyes:

Hmm... I wonder if I could get a better deal with an MRV upgrade?!

~Alan

16. May 17, 2010 #16 of 208
    je4755

je4755 Godfather

Dec 11, 2006
    Oh well. Monterey-area residents still will not be able to access HD LIL. I find this a bit surprising given two factors: almost all of the announced DMAs are smaller than Monterey-Salinas; several Peninsula communities have relatively-high average incomes which, in turn, likely translate into relatively-high outlays on DirecTV programming (or so I infer, at any rate).

Consequently, I will have to retain Comcast as an ancillary provider. My enthusiasm regarding this week’s HD additions is muted because Comcast already provides them, although I greatly am pleased others will be able to access Travel Channel HD etc.

17. May 17, 2010 #17 of 208
    bamaweather

bamaweather Icon

Jan 18, 2009
    Now, I will add...wasn't there some indication that D12 would enable DirecTV to add 19 markets? This is only 16. Also, you have to wonder if the attempted D10 fix will add needed capacity to bring one or two more markets online that wouldn't have otherwise come online.

18. May 17, 2010 #18 of 208
    jefbal99

jefbal99 Hall Of Fame

Sep 7, 2007
    That's an interesting thought...

Last week when scanning 103ca signals, I looked and the Spot Beams. I think i had 9 or 10 spot beam tps that were at least a 90 on the signal strength screen. I then cross-referenced the TP data the GCT puts in an excel spreadsheet, hoing to find an empty TP for my area. Unfortunately, all were being utilized by every market around me. I wonder if Lansing being small, and in the middle of Detroit, Flint, Grand Rapids, South Bend, Toledo, Chicago, Traverse City, Marquette, and Green Bay means they just run out of TPs and frequencies to use without interfering with all the other LiLs around us?

I guess my hope is that one of the SpaceWays can do a very narrow beam that will cover our DMA eventually...

19. May 17, 2010 #19 of 208
    sportshermit

sportshermit Legend

Aug 22, 2007
    Still without SD locals.

20. May 17, 2010 #20 of 208
    digitalfreak

digitalfreak Legend

Nov 29, 2006
    Meh. Where are the nationals?