1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DirecTV to offer locals in Syracuse

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by Greg Bimson, Feb 27, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Greg Bimson

Greg Bimson Hall Of Fame

May 5, 2003
    Thanks to stoutman over in DBSForums for this information.

DirecTV's Local Receive Facilities page has an address for Syracuse, so it appears that Syracuse will be added to DirecTV soon.

2. juan ellitinez

juan ellitinez Icon/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Jan 31, 2003
    Don't they have to launch their new satellite first? :confused:

3. paulh

paulh Godfather

Mar 17, 2003
    Considering that wires may have to be run by a telco for fiber installation to a TV station, D* better have the LRF's online before the sat is launched.
    D* also needs the fiber from that LRF (Usually located at a telco access point so its not much of an issue) to their uplink center with verified communication.

4. Mike123abc

Mike123abc Hall Of Fame/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Jul 19, 2002
    I would suspect that DIRECTV has all the markets planned for D-4s already done. They should have all the retransmission agreements set, all the fibers run, all the equipment in both the local PoP and the uplink center tested and ready to go. As soon as D-4s is tested in space and ready to go, I bet they light it up like a Christmas tree ASAP. DIRECTV has the advantage here over Dish, all the equipment needed to recieve D-4s is already in the field and has been for years. No need for a funky superdish that is in short supply.

5. mini1

mini1 Icon

Jan 25, 2004
    The newest next up satellite's name is not 4s, it is 7s.

6. paop

paop Guest

if you wait on directv you will be waiting a while. look how many delays they have had already with the launch of 7s. they will probably have it up and ready by christmas time. good luck.

7. SamC

SamC Hall Of Fame

Jan 20, 2003
    - I would like to think that the situation is as Mike123abc describes it, but considering how DirecTV has so totally bungled every aspect of the launch of DirecTV 7S, I doubt they have the foresight to have done it.

- Christmas 2005 is my guess. DirecTV's locals project is just a series of broken promises and bungles.

- The equipment is not all in the field. You need a multi-sat capable box. Boxes sold as recently as two years ago were not multi-sat capable. And you need a triple-oval dish, which still is not standard. DirecTV will be doing swap-outs for a year after it gets 7S launched. If it ever does.

- Check out the sea-launch website. The sat has STILL not been delivered. Sealaunch is sitting doing nothing waiting on the delivery. IMHO, the next news event you will see is that the Apstar 5, which was promised an April launch is skiped over 7S, meaning a new "deadline" of September 04. Which they won't meet either.

8. Skip Towne

Skip Towne Godfather

Dec 20, 2003
    Where is the sealaunch website?

9. Begemotik

Begemotik New Member

Sep 1, 2003
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.