1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

DirecTV To Offer NFL Sunday Ticket Package On PlayStation 3 but not Roku

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by Coca Cola Kid, Aug 17, 2011.

1. Coca Cola Kid

Coca Cola Kid Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2009
    Mt. Morris, MI
  2. fireponcoal

fireponcoal Icon

Sep 26, 2009
    I'm sure many will be jazzed by this news.. Nice to see them doing so but let's hope it doesn't turn into a train wreck. The NHL on ps3 sure did by the end of last season. Perhaps circus is the more apt term? :)

3. joshjr

joshjr Hall Of Fame

Aug 2, 2008
    NE Oklahoma
    Im gonna caution anyone to taking this. I use this currently for MLB and the only reason I stay is that it works on my iPhone as well. The HD quality is not anywhere as good as D* most of the time. With the price being the same as with D* I would recommend just being with D*. I understand a lot of people not with D* would want this. Its not what its cracked up to be. I would be asking about a free preview of this. D* usually gives the first week away to everyone for free. I wonder if the PS3 part is free for week 1 as well.

4. Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson Lifetime Achiever

Nov 15, 2005
    I wonder how many people will think they can control the games with their PS3? :)

Cheers,
    Tom

5. Beerstalker

Beerstalker Hall Of Fame

Feb 9, 2009
    Peoria, IL
    Not really anything new except offering it on the PS3. Last year non-subscribers could get Sunday Ticket To-Go if they can prove they can't get DirecTV service. Sounds like this is just going to be the same thing except this year they will offer an App (or channel, whatever you want to call it) so it works on the PS3. Wouldn't be suprised if they end up doing the AppleTV also since MLB and NBA offer their services on it too.

The thing that really caught my eye in that article is how they said DirecTV will be offering mix channel with only 4 games shown during the later game times. Hopefully this will be reflected on the DirecTV receiver version of the mix channel, and not just something for online/to-go viewers.

6. fireponcoal

fireponcoal Icon

Sep 26, 2009
    this is going to confuse a ton of people. the playstation blog is filled with people asking if this is only fifty bucks.....

7. Tom Robertson

Nov 15, 2005
    I'm not sure what DIRECTV could do if it is confusing people who missed the price in the article.

Cheers,
    Tom

8. fireponcoal

fireponcoal Icon

Sep 26, 2009
  9. RACJ2

RACJ2 Hall Of Fame

Aug 2, 2008
    About the most interesting part of the article for me, was the new 4 Channel Mix for afternoon games. Might actually be able to use it now to watch a game and keep up with 3 others. With the 8 Channel Mix, it's kind of a small screen to watch a game.

10. spartanstew

spartanstew Dry as a bone

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    {Mod edit: The article was incorrect, Roku does not have the NFL ST in its lineup.}

Apparently it will also be available on the Roku Box (didn't want to start a new thread, but perhaps a Mod can change the title a bit).

STORY

Pertinent info:

The refresh caps off a few months of positive development for the company, including a big distribution deal with Best Buy and the news that DirecTV's premium Sunday Ticket NFL package, AOL HD and WealthTV would all be added to the Roku lineup.

Read more: Capping off refreshes and streaming deals, Roku raises $8M | News | Rapid TV News http://www.rapidtvnews.com/index.ph...aming-deals-roku-raises-8m.html#ixzz1VKaXlJpL

11. loveshockey

loveshockey Godfather

Feb 24, 2008
    Lancaster, NY
    the author of the article makes it very confusing...I've read it about 4 times and still can't understand what he's trying to say....

12. bixler

bixler Hall Of Fame

Oct 14, 2008
    PA
    Seems pretty straightforward to me:confused:

"Non-DirecTV subscribers will pay in the neighborhood of $340 for the subscriber authenticated-based PlayStation offering, $5 more than the price of a Sunday Ticket subscription. Subscribers of the Sunday Ticket package will get the service as part of the additional $50 NFL Sunday Ticket To-Go service, said the company."

If you don't have Direct TV you will pay $340 to watch it on your PS3.

If you have Direct TV and subscribe to Sunday Ticket, you will need to purchase the $50 To-Go package for Sunday Ticket in order to also watch the games on your PS3.

13. Mickstix

Mickstix Legend

Feb 13, 2008
    I had center ice on the PS3, and it's not very impressive.. I wonder if the NFL package will be the same?

14. fireponcoal

fireponcoal Icon

Sep 26, 2009
    I'd say the first half of the season was great the second half of the year it went to ****e.. As an oilers fan it was great to see local Edmonton feeds in HD. Just my opinion...

I seem to remember various problems with NFL on the go last season. Let's hope they smooth some things out because calling Sony yields zero fixes when problems arise... At least they didn't with NHL gamecenter..

15. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    Nice timing now that the PS3 dropped $50 and the new Roku was just released. Good time to get one.

16. dcowboy7

dcowboy7 Hall Of Fame

May 22, 2008
    Pequannock, NJ
  17. Joekak

Joekak Cool Member

Jun 4, 2008
    Can anyone copy the story(s) for me? I'm having trouble getting there to read them :(

Really excited to use my PS3 to hook up an additional tv in my living room on sundays :D

18. Tom Robertson

Nov 15, 2005
    Alas, copyright rules do not permit us to publish full articles here at DBStalk.

Cheers,
    Tom

19. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    We can't quote the whole thing, but if you have Sunday Ticket, you'll need to get the To go package ($50) to access it on the PS3. Some have gotten DirecTV to add it to their account for free.

20. spartanstew

spartanstew Dry as a bone

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    What is the advantage of this for those that have D*?

Why watch NFLST on the PS3 or Roku over the D* receiver?