1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DIRECTV To Present at the Morgan Stanley Technology Media & Telecom Conference

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by RAD, Feb 24, 2011.

1. RAD

RAD Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2002
    Dripping...
    From http://dtv.client.shareholder.com/releasedetail.cfm?ReleaseID=552796

I wonder how much technology will be discussed?

2. la24philly

la24philly Hall Of Fame

Mar 8, 2010
    hopefully he will talk about new stuff and release dates

3. Mar 1, 2011 #3 of 34
    RAD

RAD Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2002
    Dripping...
    Again, for folks with nothing else to do it's almost time to start.

4. Mar 1, 2011 #4 of 34
    jacmyoung

jacmyoung Hall Of Fame

Sep 8, 2006
    Thanks to new technologies many of us can have a lot of things to do but still follow such link or news, who says streaming is not important?:) Everything we do these days seems to require live streaming.

5. Mar 1, 2011 #5 of 34
    RAD

RAD Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2002
    Dripping...
    Here's a couple things mentioned before and a couple new:

- Late 2011/early 2012 for being able to port content from your HD DVR to a portable device.

- Sounds like the HR34 server/client config is a late 2011early 2012 launch

- There are 2M NFL-ST customers, 300K took the streaming option

- Again said that they feel that being able to watch portable content is more important at the moment then streaming

- Streaming from another device at the home doesn't offer as good a quality as streaming from the head end, so why introduce another piece of hardware at the home.

- Top 50 DMA's will have local ad insertation by late 2011 for DVR's only. Mentioned that 10M customers have DVR's (both SD and HD)

- Talking about whole home DVR server/client product, did mention that they are working on a wireless client, no need to pull coax/wire to the client. Wiring in the home is costly on installs, reduce wiring you reduce install costs

I'm sure I missed a few thing, just have to wait for the official transcript.

6. Mar 1, 2011 #6 of 34
    Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon Chancellor

Jun 7, 2004
    Dawson, Georgia
    On that, we agree...

I wondered when this would happen. Top 50 only is not surprising...

~Alan

7. Mar 1, 2011 #7 of 34
    jacmyoung

jacmyoung Hall Of Fame

Sep 8, 2006
    Can you guys clue me in what "portable content" DirecTV is providing now that the NFL season is over?

Streaming by end of 2011/early 2012, still better than 2013 just not good enough.

8. Mar 1, 2011 #8 of 34
    Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    The way I understand it, this would be transcoded content you bring with you on a portable device, as opposed to streaming it. Think offloading to your tablet device instead of streaming to it.

9. Mar 1, 2011 #9 of 34
    RAD

RAD Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2002
    Dripping...
    IIRC I never heard White put any date on when/if DIRECTV would add a streaming product.

10. jacmyoung

jacmyoung Hall Of Fame

Sep 8, 2006
    Didn't DISH try this? I don't think it went very far. Now Sling (streaming) is alive and well, so much so many other manufactures are copying the idea.

11. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    I didn't say I enthusiastically agreed with their assessment, I simply attempted to explain it to you. Personally I see a place for both options.

12. jacmyoung

jacmyoung Hall Of Fame

Sep 8, 2006
    Now that Stuart has said it, I guess" portable content" is not streaming.

13. jacmyoung

jacmyoung Hall Of Fame

Sep 8, 2006
    I certainly did not mean to imply what you thought of it, only to point out DirecTV should look at what happened to what DISH had tried already.

14. RAD

RAD Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2002
    Dripping...
    IIRC it was a seperate hardware device you had to purchase (Pocket Dish). From what I've seen on the NOMAD rumors you'll be able to use hardware you already have, be it PC's smartphones or tablets to put the content on, which might make it more attractive.

15. Garry

Garry Legend

Jul 4, 2006

Is that "Nomad" that was discussed in another thread? And, if so, wasn't it supposed to be here sooner?

16. jacmyoung

jacmyoung Hall Of Fame

Sep 8, 2006
    Laptops may have sufficient storage to do this but for smartphones and iPads or tablets there is still some way to go to store the content. One HD movie or two can easily eat up the device, not to mention copy protection issue and resistance from the studios.

17. RAD

RAD Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2002
    Dripping...
    You can already copy content to your smartphones/iPads or tablets with the studios blessing, digital copy. My 16GB iPhone, besides haveint 5.6GB free also has digital copies of four movies on it, along with a bunch of my music and some pictures for good measure. Yea, they're not in HD but so an iPhone small screen, or probably even an iPad HD would probably be just a waste bits.

18. Scott Kocourek

Scott Kocourek Well-Known Member

Jun 13, 2009
    Yes Nomad was discussed in another thread. Link: http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=184939

Don't confuse this thread as an announcement, it is more of a speculation thread.

19. 1948GG

1948GG Icon

Aug 4, 2007
    I'm sure this small item kinda went from one ear to the other in folks minds, but it is precisely what has been needed for more years than I can count (just about) at this point. One of the biggest things being talked about in the development/engineering community regarding Thunderbolt is that wireless connectivity should rapidly make even extremely fast interfaces (even those 'one wire' solutions) history, or nearly so.

The wireless solution should be able to span distances of >300' (and through multiple walls). When I was at GTE helping to develop what became FIOS in the mid/late 90's, such a solution to bridge the ONU (optical network unit) and the client STB was right at the top of our 'wish list' because we knew (and which has been borne out by Verizon's cost analysis of installations), would quite literally cut that cost in half (if the wireless portion was cost reasonable, of course).

Same with DirecTV. Even more so in harder installs where the dish needs to be put 'remotely' from the main dwelling (trees etc.) and burial or aerial cable is cost or environmentally prohibitive (but where there is AC power).

20. jacmyoung

jacmyoung Hall Of Fame

Sep 8, 2006
    A wireless client model was also brought up by Dish during the CES two years back. The 922 was supposed to support a wireless 15" monitor, or some kind of wireless client module to hook up to an HDTV screen. Two room MRV was started by Dish too, way ahead of everyone else. But with almost all those new ideas Dish had, their excecutions were spotty.

DirecTV on the other hand tends to be a few steps late in the game but when they do come on board they seem to be doing it right. DirecTV's MRV is a much more wholesome structure than Dish's now. Maybe their wireless client will turn out to be a little late but a much more wholesome product nonetheless.