1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

DirecTV to Stereo to VCR to DVD Player Hookup?

Discussion in 'HDTV Equipment (Closed Forum)' started by DS0816, Mar 21, 2005.

1. DS0816

DS0816 Guest

Mar 29, 2002
    Hello,

Is there anyone who could point me to an instructional Web site that'll help me do the following: Connecting my DirecTV to my Stereo to my VCR to my DVD player. The purpose is for a strong, Stereo Surround Sound?

P.S. If this isn't the appropriate area to post this, by all means feel free to relocate it. For anyone willing to provide this information, you can also email me at the following address: ds081671@hotmail.com.

This is much-appreciated and I thank anyone -- and everyone -- in advance.

Sincerely,

Dave

2. Timco

Timco Woof! DBSTalk Gold Club

Jun 7, 2002
    What kind of Stereo do you have (brand and model)?

3. Nick

Nick Retired, part-time PITA DBSTalk Gold Club

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    Don't think of hooking up from your tv back, but from your sources in. More specific instructions would depend on what gear you have, but in general, if yours is an 'A/V' RECEIVER that switches audio and video, then...

Using an A/V RECEIVER:

[SAT AUDIO] ---> [VCR]* --> [A/V REC] ---> [SPKRS]
    [SAT VIDEO] ---> [VCR] ---> [A/V REC] ---> [TV]

[DVD AUDIO] ---> [A/V REC] ---> [SPKRS]
    [DVD VIDEO] ---> [A/V REC] ---> [TV]

Using a STEREO amp, run your video straight from your sources to the TV (assuming sufficient TV inputs).

[SAT AUDIO] ---> [VCR]" --> [STEREO] ---> [SPKRS]
    [SAT VIDEO] ---> [VCR] ---> [TV]

[DVD AUDIO] ---> [STEREO] ---> [SPKRS]
    [DVD VIDEO] ---> [TV]

*Routing SAT through your VCR is necessary only if you want to record programs from stellite. You can connect you VCR directly to your A/V receiver or TV. There are usually different ways to connect components, depending on what one wishes to accomplish, but it's always simpler thinking about it from the source(s) in to the TV.

If you care to be more specific about what components you have, perhaps we can be more specific with our advice.

Good luck. :)

4. DS0816

DS0816 Guest

Mar 29, 2002
    Thanks, folks.

Actually, I'm not prepared to do this right now because of inconvenience (long story, sorry!). I did want to know the general way it's done.

Again, thank you! :)