1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DirecTV to "tighten belt".

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by Jon J, Nov 22, 2011.

1. Jon J

Jon J Grouch Extrordinaire

Apr 22, 2002
    Music City, USA
    This might mean it doesn't look good for more HD.

2. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    Or it might mean no price increase.

3. hilmar2k

hilmar2k Hall Of Fame

Mar 18, 2007
    :lol::lol::lol:

Good one, Stuart.

4. Jon J

Apr 22, 2002
    Music City, USA
    I like your positive attitude! :up: ;)

5. tulanejosh

tulanejosh Godfather

May 23, 2008
    this is corporate talk for staff reductions. directv has limited control over whether programming costs increase. in fact - about the only thing they can do is reject a contract proposal and stop carrying a channel. I can see that in a few limited and extreme cases - but nothing major.

6. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    Since the OP neglected to provide a link, here is the whole story: http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-...ding-hiring-to-prepare-for-any-slowdown.html#

The key point with respect to reducing programming costs is hacking out some of the sports programming in the lower programming tiers. DIRECTV would have to re-negotiate these contracts (ie ESPN and the RSNs) and that seems like cutting off their nose to spite their face. In order to get the pricing they get, DIRECTV has to guarantee so many subscriptions and if they want to reduce the number of subscriptions, they have to renegotiate and the cost for that programming will almost certainly go up.

This bodes very well for those in the low-end tiers that don't care for sports programming but it woud certainly be a hard pill for the frugal that have to upgrade to keep their sports programming.

Stuart may be right about the price going down for those disinterested in sports but the rest are going to have to make up for it.

7. Jon J

Apr 22, 2002
    Music City, USA
    Beat me severely about the head and shoulders. I neglected to link because I didn't have one. I read the quote on another site. I'll try to do better next time.

8. Mavrick

Mavrick Hall Of Fame

Feb 1, 2006
    Well The Shadow Knows! :lol:

9. makaiguy

makaiguy Icon DBSTalk Club

Sep 24, 2007
    Aiken, SC
  10. n3ntj

n3ntj Hall Of Fame

Dec 18, 2006
    Lancaster,...
    I would also agree that this probably means no new national (non-premium) HD channels anytime soon on D*. Wonderful. D* appears to be falling behind the likes of Comcrap, TWC, etc. in the number of quality national non-premium HD channels.

11. sigma1914

sigma1914 Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
    The number of quality channels is different to everyone. DirecTV has remained behind for awhile now, nothing new, and they're still adding more subs than those with all the "quality" channels. There's no incentive to add any.

12. NR4P

NR4P Dad

Jan 15, 2007
    Sunny Florida
    3 Friends recently jumped off the Directv ship for uVerse package deals. Combination of price and fed up with rain fade. I saved a 4th from jumping by helping them install an OTA antenna.

Given the slower net subs adds mentioned in the article, I think Directv is being responsible with controlling costs.

13. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    Sunday Ticket is a powerful draw that works best in Q3. Now that NFLST is no longer a hot draw for new customers, I think you'll see a different outcome.

14. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    DIRECTV doesn't have a telephone service or internet service they can natively bundle, and that makes it a little more challenging to retain value-conscious customers. What I'm hoping is that they continue to focus on little tweaks to lower costs and increase value to the customers who do see DIRECTV's worth.

15. PrinceLH

PrinceLH New Member

Feb 18, 2003
    Probably means call centers in India and less in the USA! :nono2:

16. sigma1914

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
    Then explain additions during the other 3 quarters.

17. dualsub2006

dualsub2006 Icon

Aug 28, 2007
    Additions in the previous 3 quarters were pretty low if I am remembering things right. Nothing like this last quarter.

18. captaink5217

captaink5217 Legend

Sep 20, 2011
    Well if they're not gonna add new national HD then I'll probably go back to my local cable company and I'll pay the ETF my cable company has all the national HD channels that directv seems hard headed about adding plus I had a lot more locals on cable too and had them all in hd including cw and my and ion which directv doesn't have in my area in hd yet.

19. sigma1914

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
    Yes, but still net in the positive unlike many other TV providers.

20. maartena

maartena Hall Of Fame

Nov 1, 2010
    They were low. But additions nonetheless. Except for U-Verse, and FIOS, both of which were launching whole new cities, ALL other providers of television have LOST subscribers over the last 2 years straight or so, due to the economy.