1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DirecTV unschedules me again

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by crpeck, Oct 25, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. crpeck

crpeck Cool Member

Oct 3, 2007
    I'm getting the feeling that despite what they say, DirecTV doesn't want me to upgrade my system. I've been scheduled 3 times now with them for a dish HD DVR upgrade. The first time it was cancelled somehow by a CSR there, the 2nd & 3rd time it magically became "unscheduled". My original install date was the middle of October, I now have a date of 11/19. This is getting quite ridiculous - I can't wait until tomorrow when I check it & it say's unscheduled again. When I talked to them two nites ago the rep had no idea what the problem was - I did get another $100 credit though, but, he couldn't re-schedule me.
    If anyone at D* reads these I'd like to say - you folks need to seriously get it together, these installs getting cancelled or unscheduled are minor to the hassle I had just trying to order the upgrade. My local cable company looks so much better at this point, heck , even OTA outshines them.
    just venting....

2. gulfwarvet

gulfwarvet Tips & Resources Collaboration

Mar 7, 2007
    have you logged into your account to confirm your install date? click on the orders section to confirm the order has been indeed scheduled. while there you can also re-schedule it to for maybe a earlier time.

but you can be seeing the beginnings of supply going down in your area for the HR20's. from all the new installs happening right now, thus, causing it to be unscheduled for they don't have any in stock.

3. crpeck

crpeck Cool Member

Oct 3, 2007
    Yes, each time that I scheduled an installation date I would go online to verify it. I would see the date & time. Then a day or two later when I checked it, hoping I could get an earlier date, it showed up as unscheduled. After the last one I called in using the PIN they emailed me, the rep I talked to said he had no idea what was going & that they had already put the 2 HD DVR's aside for me. He even tried contacting the local installer, who said that they had never received the installation order. He was looking into, but, then said he had to bump it to the IT folks because he couldn't even schedule me for that date - even though it showed up as unscheduled. After not hearing anything for a few days I email D* again, they responded with the current date that I have, for now. That date is almost 3 weeks later than the previous date I had - I went from from having an 8AM at 11/1 to an afternoon appt on 11/19.

4. gulfwarvet

gulfwarvet Tips & Resources Collaboration

Mar 7, 2007
    you can still go online and re-schedule it. the schedule screen you see is the same as what D* sees. i to had a very far out scheduled date of install. i kept going back every other day to see if there was a closer date. by doing this i got my HR20-100 installed 3 weeks earlier than what was original scheduled install date.

5. crpeck

crpeck Cool Member

Oct 3, 2007
    I'll keep the reschedule in mind - maybe I'll be able to move it up - if I'm lucky some other poor soul will get unscheduled & I can sneak in :)

6. crpeck

crpeck Cool Member

Oct 3, 2007
    HaHaHa - This is out of control - I just checked my order online, and, it went from an install date of 11/18 back to Unscheduled again! That's one cancel, and 3 unschedules so far. Hmm, maybe we should start a pool to see how many times I can get unscheduled.

At least I've been able to do these via email, so I don't have to waste time on the phone.

Time for another email to D*.

7. Dave

Dave Icon

Jan 28, 2003
    Perhaps it time to cancel and go to Dish or Cable. It would seem that DirectV is back to there old ways with current customers. They want that new subscriber first, and old subscriber be damned.

8. crpeck

crpeck Cool Member

Oct 3, 2007
    That is exactly the impression I am getting, and, most likely the route I will be taking.

9. Xing

Xing Legend

Oct 1, 2007
    They may have a problem with there system in that area and unfortunatly you are affected. I doubt they don't want you to have there equipment and be locked into a new 2 year commit to them. It's also possible that D* is running short on supply in the area with all the upgrades to the HR20 going right now.
    How much did you pay for the HR20? You may be better off going to retail for the receiver and then setting up an install for the second line and 5-lnb dish, at $0.

10. wolverine318

wolverine318 AllStar

Oct 17, 2007
    nothing is that bad to force someone to go cable

11. crpeck

crpeck Cool Member

Oct 3, 2007
    I've tried giving them the benefit of the doubt for over a month now - the last time I talked to a rep he indicated that the 2 HR20's were "set aside for me" (I take that with a grain of salt). With all the credits I've racked up, the HR20's are basically free at this point - I think - as I can't really get a straight answer from any of them as to what they would charge me after the install. They tell me a different thing whenever I call or email them.
    I also offered up resolving this by them either shipping me the equipment & I hire a local A/V company to do the install (with some reimbursement on their part). Even said I'd go buy the HR20's at CostCo & hire an install.
    I think that I would be better off going with the local cable company. At least they show up when asked (I tried them out about 2 months ago, I just didn't like their crappy DVR interface, but, with the TivoHD & a cable card, I can get around that). The PQ and service was excellent from them. I've priced everything - which includes having a useless landline for D*, and, I come out cheaper with cable than D*.
    I think that D* needs to consider the fact that they are in competition with other suppliers, and, that even though they consider me "a valuable customer" & recognize "how frustrating this must be", action speaks louder than words.
    The previous post probably hit it right on - I'm getting bumped for new customers - even thought most companies know that it's cheaper in the long run to try to keep your current customers. I've been shelling out over $100/month for service, and, have had the HD from them from the beginning, not that it matters.
    Enough ranting on my part... It's time for me to speak with my feet, and, as a wise man said - actions speak louder than words :)

12. Xing

Xing Legend

Oct 1, 2007
    They don't "set aside HR20's" that was obviously mis information on D*s part. The local install company only sets them aside once they have recieved the work order. They also don't push installs back for new customer installs. If you want you can get the number for the local dispatch and with the work order number can have them reschedule the install in their system. If they didn't even recieve the information then it is a problem with the D* scheduling system.

Although you seem to have already made a decision. I would never go to cable for a few reason, Cox in this area doesn't compare to D* in pq, Cable will never be able to match the number of HD channels D* has, and I hate their DVR interface, and don't much like Tivo either. On top of that when I did a price comparison on price of channels received D* comes out cheaper although they are very close for all the channels D* offers and all the channels cable offers. Not to mention D* offers more channels at their price.

I also had Cox for awhile before switching to D* and their customer service was horrible and I just wasn't very satisfied so my opinion is probably a little biast. :)

13. mceevans

mceevans Cool Member

Jul 15, 2007
    My order initalaly showd the right schedule date on D* website for a few days after I placed the HD DVR Upgrade order. Now it shows Unscheduled. I called D* and played dumb and just asked that I was confirming my install date and time. She said yes, you are scheduled for 11/02 8-12am (The date and time that I was supposed to have). I said that the website now shows unscheduled and the CSR said that means the order has been pushed through to the install company. She then gave me the name and number of the install company. I called the local office of the install company and they also said that yes we have you down for 11/02 8-12am. So I hope this all works out as I already have 11/02 scheduled off of work for this install.

14. crpeck

crpeck Cool Member

Oct 3, 2007
    It sounds like you are good to go - when I called that last time the CSR called the local install company - they indicated that they hadn't received an order for me.

15. crpeck

crpeck Cool Member

Oct 3, 2007
    My last update on this whole attempt to get an upgrade installed...

I emailed the VP for Customer Service regarding the problem I was having, not really expecting a response (since it was a Saturday). To my surprise about 2 hours after I sent the email I got a call from DirecTV - and - it wasn't the standard number on my caller-id. I answered it, and talked to a very nice woman who had read my email. Since my phone was having issues, I got her number & her called back with the cell phone. The operator answered with "DirecTV - Office of the President" (nice touch). Anyways, she promised to force an install for me on the following Thursday, which I went along with.
    Next I talked to someone who was supposedly high up in the Installation Dept, she said she would call me Thursday to verify the install took place without incident. I was pretty happy...

Thursday came, the local company never called me & I didn't have their number. The number I had from Saturday was Mountain Time (I'm on the East Coast), so I couldn't call her. About 9:30 (I was promised that someone would be there at 8am), I figured I could go to work (it was raining at this point, so I knew it wouldn't happen anyways). I got a call at home at 11am from the installer, he left a message indicating that I wasn't there (duhh) and to call DirecTv to reschedule - nice...
    Later on I got three voice mails from the local installers office, all telling me to call them. Every time I tried to call them I got a busy signal... Finally I got through about 7:30 that nite. The woman apologized for no one calling & them showing up late. She said they could come out Saturday AM - the lead tech person would be there at 8am sharp & she would call me about 7:45 am to verify everything.
    Saturday rolls around - no one comes or calls - ever. I call the local company - no one answers.

I never hear back from DirecTV - the promised followup call from the Pres's Office or Higher up Installation Dept doesn't happen. I'm not bothering to call them, because, well, 10th time is a charm. I'm thinking that this is a sign (lol). My Order on the website indicates that I can call them for a reschedule - which I'm just sitting on for now. I enjoy the HR10-250 HDTivo, and, there is only one channel they offer in HD (SciFi) that I really care about, and, it's took late for BSG Razor, so, I am in no rush at this point. My OTA serves me for 90% of my viewing (wish DirecTV had my HD locals). I figure I can leave DirecTV as it is for now & check out the local cable HD service - they allow me to add/remove services without having to commit for 2 years of service.
    It's been quite the ride..
    BTW - this all happened about 2-3 weeks ago, I figured I'd sit for a bit before posting

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.