1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Directv vs Comcast

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by coota, Apr 18, 2017.

1. coota

coota Legend

Apr 10, 2007
    I received an offer that I couldn't refuse from Comcast Xfinity. I already had Comcast internet, but they offered me cable tv (every station I could possibly receive), the internet and the phone service all for just about $day 20 more than what I was paying for my internet alone. I have been a Directv customer since 1996. Comcast installed on March 20th, the first Xfinity box he put in did not operate, so he switched it out with another unit. Both were right out the box. He second tv also had an issue hooking it up but he got it to work without any problem. An hour or so after the installer left, the Xfinity box crapped out. I called Comcast and they couldn't come out until 4PM the next afternoon. I set up the appointment. Later that evening, the Xfinity box started operating again, and I canceled the technician's appt. It worked fine the next day and then the second day it died again. In addition, the picture quality was no were near Directv's quality, even my wife noticed it with a bad eye, however, for the price difference I was willing to live with it until the box malfunctioned again. I have a 65 in. LG 4K Super Ultra HD tv. I called Comcast Wednesday evening and canceled, I have a 30 day cancellation clause in my contract. They gave me a hard time but I insisted, the only thing I kept was the cable internet. At 9 PM that night I called Directv and they reinstalled early the next morning. A lesson well learned for me. And my high quality picture and sound was back.

compnurd likes this.
  2. MysteryMan

MysteryMan Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    It's not called "Comcrap" for nothing.

DishCSR, chuckf1, Rich and 1 other person like this.
  3. APB101

APB101 Icon

Sep 1, 2010
    Michigan
    My brother and sister-in-law made the switch from AT&T's DirecTV to Comcast on March 2, 2017. He tells me that he hasn't had any problems. We are a couple miles apart in distance. We are in Wayne County (Detroit), Michigan.

They have the x1 which is a DVR. They have a more mini, secondary box in a two-room setup.

I will say that the x1 is very nice. Navigation is easy. Things don't stick like they do on AT&T's DirecTV. For example: When I use AT&T's DirecTV for the first time in a given day, it's pretty common when I enter channel numbers, to go to a particular programmer, it's like I'm trying to awaken Rip Van Winkle.

4. KyL416

KyL416 Hall Of Fame

Nov 10, 2005
    Tobyhanna, PA
    I wonder if you're in one of the markets where Comcast starting converting many 1080i channels to 720p.

Also, like most cable systems, Comcast isn't one thing that's the same nationwide. It really varies from system to system and headend to headend, so someone's experience in Detroit might not be the same as someone in Atlanta, Philly, Boston or wherever the TS lives.

compnurd and Rich like this.
  5. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I tried Cablevision TV a few years ago and had a similar experience. I didn't cancel D*, just had one DVR installed and replaced...and replaced...and replaced. What really got me was none of the DVRs were in boxes and I went out to the installer's truck with him and got a look at a jumble of unboxed DVRs. Awful experience.

Rich

6. richall01

richall01 Godfather

Sep 30, 2007
    South Georgia
    Comcast with NOT serve rual areas, so untill they do satalite is the way to go!! Both DirecTV and Dish.

Sent from my XT1609 using Tapatalk

7. WestDC

WestDC Well-Known Member

Feb 9, 2008
    Comcast Servers (TAKES) my Rual Area - I only use internet once in awhile a cow crashes thru the fence and my service goes down till the barbed wire is fixed -then I'm back up and running!

8. pistolpete52

pistolpete52 AllStar

Sep 3, 2010
    The same thing happened to me with Spectrum. I had about 3 months left on my DTV contract when I cancelled and went with Spectrum. The price was hard to resist. And there were a lot more channels in HD that DTV doesn't have. And I liked the fact that I could get MeTV and another oldies channel. But, the DVR was awful. It only had 2 tuners, which I didn't know because the CSR said that there were multiple tuners. I guess that multiple means 2. After less than 2 weeks, I called Spectrum to cancel. I had a 30 day money back guarantee.

I called DTV, and they hooked me up right away. They waived the cancellation fee, considered a new customer, and got the new customer deal with free HBO, STARZ, and Showtime for 3 mos.

Back to Spectrum. They charged me nearly $230 bucks for the "money back guarantee" which they said I didn't qualify for because I already had Spectrum internet. After nearly 3 mos of trying to get this straight, they finally dropped the charge.

I am now a once again happy DTV customer. My only complaint with them is that it seems like their customer service has gone way downhill since att bought DTV.

9. Jim Manis

Jim Manis Cool Member

Nov 5, 2007
    I switched to X1 about 6 weeks ago after having D since 2006. I had Comcast 25mb internet before the switch. I now have all the premiums and tripled my internet speed for about what I was paying for Directv alone. I know the price will change after my two year commitment is up but for now I am quite satisfied. I don't have any problems with the picture quality. My only issue would be with the channel numbers and how the HD channels are so much different the than SD versions, but the voice remote is very cool. I haven't used the xfininty app much but I think it is also much better than the D app.

10. jblaze50

jblaze50 Cool Member

Dec 20, 2007
    I recently switched to xfinity a month ago. I had been with DirecTv since 2001. I am locked in for 2 years with tv and internet. I save 20 a month. Picture quality on xfinity not as good as Directv. Xfinity HD offerings are less than Directv. But the X1 system is much better and faster than Directv Genie system. I also like the built in Netflix. Plus i dont have to call every year to get RedZone as it is included with my package. So while some things are better on Directv , Xfinity is good too. I have not had any issues yet. If X1 is installed correctly , you should not have any problems. Now comcast is a greedy company , but I have noticed sinnce ATT took over , they are too.

11. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    That, by itself, is more than enough for me. All I care about is PQ. The rest I can deal with.

Rich

coota likes this.