1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Directv vs DISH - Which HD is better

Discussion in 'General Satellite Discussion' started by DesertRatR, Mar 23, 2013.

1. Mar 23, 2013 #1 of 103
    DesertRatR

DesertRatR New Member

Mar 23, 2013
    I am a brand new user do forgive me if this is a redundant question. I am annoyed that Directv won't pick up Pac-12 Sports (we're passionate about Pac-12 sports), so I am going to cancel DTV. Choices are Comcast or DISH. With BB winding down I've got until July to decide. My neighbor recently switched from DISH to DTV for cost reasons after having been a DISH subscriber for years. He thinks DTV has better looking HD channels. I know nobody with DISH so I can't make my own comparison. I'd appreciate any feedback on the number of HD channels of the two broadcasters and their quality.

2. Mar 24, 2013 #2 of 103
    Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    Quality will depend a lot on your display size, and viewing distance. But if one provider has the channels you want, well, any quality is better than none at all.

As for the channel lineup between providers, there is a good comparison chart on the AVS website. Here in Arkansas, Comcast (Xfinity) has more basics than either DirecTv or Dish, but Directv has more regional sports channels.

Using the raw resolutions, DirecTv HD is best, Comcast comes in next, followed by Dish. Very subtle differences though.
    For SD channels, DirecTv is dead last in quality. Its all going to depend what you plan on watching.

3. Mar 24, 2013 #3 of 103
    DesertRatR

DesertRatR New Member

Mar 23, 2013
    I just bought a 60" LED TV (LG 60LM7200). We sit about 12' from the screen, slightly out of spec to the 3:1 rule of thumb. The TV is by far the clearest and brightest I've ever seen. In general does sitting a bit close with a very high quality display improve a somewhat inferior HD feed, or make it appear worse?

4. Mar 24, 2013 #4 of 103
    damondlt

damondlt New Member

Feb 27, 2006
    Newfoundland...
    HD
    1. Fios
    2. Directv
    3. Dish Network
    4. My Local Cable
    SD
    1. Fios
    2. Cable
    3. Dish Network
    4. Directv

5. Mar 24, 2013 #5 of 103
    Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    The closer you are, the worse the picture will appear to be, since you will start noticing all the compression artifacts, macroblocking on fast motion, etc. I sit about 12' from my 60" display as well. While I have never had Dish, Comcast on a Tivo XL4, and DirecTv on a HR34 look comparable to me. There are a few channels, notably Destination Discovery, Nat Geo that are a tad sharper looking on DirecTv than Comcast if you do an A/B comparison. Most are so close its a toss up, until you get to SD channels. I find them almost unwatchable on Directv. Sharp and crisp on Comcast. We do have a 100% digital Comcast plant here, so your mileage may vary depending on how your local cable system is set up. I havent heard any complaints from Dish customers that have switched, so Ill let them report on the quality there.

6. Mar 24, 2013 #6 of 103
    domingos35

domingos35 Icon

Jan 11, 2006
    don't let anyone tell you that directv's HD is better than dish's because its not
    i have dish and comcast and had directv years ago
    in my area comcast's HD looks very good but dish's is better
    dish has the best DVR's
    i would go with dish

7. Mar 24, 2013 #7 of 103
    lparsons21

lparsons21 Hall Of Fame

Mar 4, 2006
    Herrin, IL
    Technically the Direct HD is better than Dish's. But most reports show that viewers either see no difference, or consider the difference to be very, very minor.

When I switched from D* to E* recently, I had a couple days of being able to view both on the same TV via the same AV receiver and couldn't see hardly any difference between the two in HD. My TV is a 73" Mitsi DLP that I sit about 10' from, so I would expect to be able to see any real difference quite easily.

The biggest difference between the video on Direct and Dish is in SD. Direct's is horrid, Dish's is actually pretty good on most SD channels, though some suck badly.

To me, the difference between the HD on D* and E* isn't significant enough to even be a consideration as to which to pick. At this stage of the game, it really should be about the channels available in HD. Cost is about the same between the two sat services these days.

1 person likes this.
  8. Mar 24, 2013 #8 of 103
    RAD

RAD DIRECTV A-Team

Aug 5, 2002
    Dripping...
    Is that now true on both the eastern and western arc's? IIRC EA was better because it used MPEG4 for all the SD channels were WA was on MPEG2 and was about on par with DIRECTV's SD channels.

9. Mar 24, 2013 #9 of 103
    lparsons21

lparsons21 Hall Of Fame

Mar 4, 2006
    Herrin, IL
    I suppose I should have qualified that huh? :)

I'm on the EA and don't know what the WA's SD looks like.

EDIT: I have read from others that with the Hopper/Joey the SD on both ARCs is very good, though I've not read anything from those that have had the Hopper/Joey setup on WA and then switched to the EA.

10. Mar 24, 2013 #10 of 103
    sigma1914

sigma1914 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
    IMO, the PQ debate is similar to the Audio Quality debate ... Some people can tell the difference and some can't tell. It's your personal opinion that matters.

11. Mar 24, 2013 #11 of 103
    Volatility

Volatility Legend

May 22, 2010
    It depends on what features you are looking for. Both the Genie and the Hopper offer their own advantages and disadvantages.

12. Mar 30, 2013 #12 of 103
    cypherx

cypherx Hall Of Fame

Aug 27, 2010
    PA - Berks...

Is fios still #1 for PQ? They still use MPEG2, wouldn't MPEG4 be better?

Agree that DirecTV is dead last for SD picture. I wish they would improve that. That is my number 1 reason for wanting so many channels to go HD. I know bandwidth is a concern but even if some channels could go ED (Extended Definition) like at least S-Video quality.

My local cable company requires DTA's for channels 28-100. Those channels are in ClearQAM and after scanning the cable they only put 10 SD channels on a given frequency. Because a frequency is 38.8 mbps, that means each SD channel is given 3.88 mbps MPEG2. That's why SD looks so much better on Cable. With a good TV that has great post processing, SD is actually watchable on there.

My mom has Dish and I have DirecTV. Her house has an older toshiba rear projection which doesn't touch the picture quality of my Plasma at home. The convergence and focus is really off on her "craigslist special'. I can't really accurately say who has better HD since it's not a fair playing field for me to assess quality. A lot of people say DirecTV because at most they only pack 6 HD's per transponder. Dish has a few channels that are up to 8 or 10 HD's a transponder. But you have to realize Dish uses Turbo FEC and 8PSK (thanks to better rain fade performance with Ku band). This means there's more bandwidth on a transponder to begin with. Just because its 8:1 or 10:1 HD compression isn't an apples to apples comparison because you have to look at the overall transponder bandwidth. Also you have to closely look at which channels are sharing bandwidth on a transponder. You can't mix all action demanding 1080i channels and expect it to look great. Providers these days are doing a good balance of 720p and 1080i channels with a mix of content.

13. Mar 30, 2013 #13 of 103
    lparsons21

lparsons21 Hall Of Fame

Mar 4, 2006
    Herrin, IL
    While what you say is very true, it has nothing to do with the subject question. You can't get much more specific in a question than this one. :)

HD on both is more than good enough that most people either cannot see the difference, or notice that is so slight it doesn't matter. For those that are highly critical of PQ and can actually see and be bothered by it, then D* would be the slightest edge choice.

Of course the reason to switch or not should be from the overall product differences and how they fit or don't.

14. Mar 30, 2013 #14 of 103
    trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    Are you still under contract with DircTV and if yes, have you factored in the ETFs?

15. Mar 30, 2013 #15 of 103
    Hoosier205

Hoosier205 New Member

Sep 3, 2007
    DirecTV has far more HD and superior picture quality.

16. Mar 30, 2013 #16 of 103
    P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    Mediterranea...
    Not true.

Sounds as PR pitch...

17. Mar 30, 2013 #17 of 103
    lparsons21

lparsons21 Hall Of Fame

Mar 4, 2006
    Herrin, IL
    and 'more HD' is meaningless if the 'more' doesn't include channels you want in HD.

The reality today is unless you are a die-hard sports fan, both services are just 2 sides of the same coin.

18. Mar 30, 2013 #18 of 103
    acostapimps

acostapimps Hall Of Famer

Nov 5, 2011
    Illinois
    When I watch SD channel on Directv it's show dependent, if its a HD program then it look decent but nowhere good at all, Or maybe it's because I watched a few LQ youtube videos that I got used to it:)

19. Mar 30, 2013 #19 of 103
    donalddickerson2005

donalddickerson2005 Legend

Feb 13, 2012
    So true.
    I have DirecTV due to needing MLBEI I live in Atlanta but my team is the cardinals.
    If you love pac-12 then you need to go with dish till DirecTV gets it.
    I have had cable down here but like EVERYONE else I came running back. Cable is never ever ever going to be in my home.

20. Mar 30, 2013 #20 of 103
    acostapimps

acostapimps Hall Of Famer

Nov 5, 2011
    Illinois
    Are you sure about that? Never say never.