1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Directv vs. Signature Home

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by jal, Apr 24, 2011.

1. jal

jal Icon

Mar 3, 2005
    Time Warner now has 50 mps wideband internet available in Northeast Ohio, but the only way to get it is through Time Warner's "Signature Home" service. That means one must switch their landline and tv to Time Warner as well because Time Warner won't sell its wideband internet by itself. Has anyone switched over, and do they miss Directv? Pricing is a bit less through Signature Home for all the services, and you get internet speed which is about 8 to 9 times faster that AT&T DSL.

2. mp12point7

mp12point7 Mentor

Oct 30, 2006
    Does TW require you to drop your old provider?

3. jal

jal Icon

Mar 3, 2005
    No, but it would cost a lot more money per month unless it was just temporarily for comparison purposes.

4. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    Careful if they aren't offering you extra discounts to sign up and then when the promotion ends the price goes up big time...

Whats the fastest you can get from any provider without this service..

There are just so many things directv does that other companies don't.. start by looking at how much their actual equipment would cost. Its usually a lot more for less stuff, for example, around here ehy charge about $20 per hd dvr, not 6 a piece plus 7 total for dvr.. which if you have several boxes adds up to a lot of money. Also, check the amount of recording space, etc... Also, look into how they seperate their channels. I love that directv has the hd and sd version are the same numbers. Most cable companies have a totally seperatre higher channel number for hd channels which you have to remember...

That's a few of the differences, whether they mean anything to you is up to you and what you have and how you want to use your equipment...

5. Beerstalker

Beerstalker Hall Of Fame

Feb 9, 2009
    Peoria, IL
    I thought this sort of stuff was supposed to be illegal? I thought they were allowed to give discounts on bundling of their services but they still had to offer all of the same services seperately if they offered them as part of a bundle? So maybe they would charge $90 for the internet alone, and $100 for the bundle, but they still had to offer it seperately?

6. jal

jal Icon

Mar 3, 2005
    The fastest I can get (other than through Time Warner) is 18 mps down, but I'd have to switch over to U-Verse. I have 6 mps down now, and the price is 19.99. I think 18 mps is about $40-50 per month.

7. jal

jal Icon

Mar 3, 2005
    Since the time I made my initial post, it appears that TWC raised the price of signature home from $179.99 to $199.99.

8. Tisby

Tisby AllStar

Jun 4, 2010
    If it's any comparison I'm paying ~$35 for 12mbps for U-Verse... I'd be happy w/ 6 for $20!

9. LI-SVT

LI-SVT Icon

May 18, 2006
    As a data point my cable company has TV, phone and internet. You can only get the phone if you pay them for internet.

10. Beerstalker

Beerstalker Hall Of Fame

Feb 9, 2009
    Peoria, IL
    That makes sense because the phone service is VOIP, so it uses the internet.

I didn't think that it was legal for them to only offer certain levels/speeds of internet service to people with their TV service. Just like they can't force you to buy internet service if you want a certain level of TV service (for example they can't tell you that you can't get HBO unless you have internet service from them).

11. skatingrocker17

skatingrocker17 Godfather

Jun 23, 2010
    That's kind of stupid but I'd drop DTV in a second to get 50Mbps down. I hope it's available in Northwest Ohio. Not really any downside, more HD and faster internet. Stupid DTV contracts.

12. jal

jal Icon

Mar 3, 2005
    I believe it is available in NW Ohio. I wonder if the HD picture on TWC is better because of the upgrade?

13. ohioviper

ohioviper AllStar

Sep 18, 2007
    Just go with the 30/5 extreme from TW. It runs $60 a month as a stand alone.

14. carlsbad_bolt_fan

carlsbad_bolt_fan Icon

May 18, 2004
    Carlsbad, CA
    Does that bandwidth come with download caps?

15. skatingrocker17

Jun 23, 2010
    I looked on their website for our area (which says Mid-Ohio when I type in my zip) and it says it's not available yet but it's coming. Were not really Mid-Ohio though so maybe it's wrong.

Honestly though I don't even care if it looks as good as DirecTV because they just have way more HD channels. But oh well, DirecTV is still good but if I need to dump in to get 50mbps I will in a heartbeat.

None of the tiers currently available in our area have caps.

16. ctpd845

ctpd845 Mentor

Jan 21, 2010
    NW Ohio is part of Time Warner's Mid-Ohio division based out of Columbus.

17. skatingrocker17

Jun 23, 2010
    Then we should be the first to get it although that's not the case. You're lucky, you can either get Uverse internet for Buckeye cable which are both faster than Time Warner, at least the advertised speeds are. I know my brother gets 20Mbps with Buckeye for the same price we're paying for 10.

18. ctpd845

ctpd845 Mentor

Jan 21, 2010
    Nope....I have Time Warner for internet. I live in the township not the city. And U-Verse in not available where I live.