1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DirecTV vs

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by lombar, Jan 26, 2011.

1. lombar

lombar Cool Member

Nov 24, 2006
    Hello All,

So I am currently a DirecTV customer and have been for probably over 10 years. I really like their service and their DVR (even after the change over from TIVO). However I have been looking at Comcast and was wondering if anyone has any experience with them. Specifically I am wondering how their DVR compares to DirecTV's. One of the main things that is pushing me away from DirecTV is that I do not get local HD's in Eugene, OR and don't even see it on the list. Please feel free to talk me out of it as I really do like DirecTV except mainly for the lack of local HDs. Thanks all.

2. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    Comcast's quality on various things really depends on the location. However, DVRs on the cable side are fairly standard junk. It's not uncommon to get only about 20 hours of HD space on a DVR, multiple DVRs can be very expensive as the DVR fee isn't per account, but per box.

Are you in an area where you can pick up your locals over the air? If you have an HR21-24, you'd need an AM21 plus the antenna, but that is the best option.

3. kiknwing

kiknwing Godfather

Jun 24, 2009
    Ogden, UT
    Comcast HD-DVR is $16 a month per box.

4. ThomasM

ThomasM RF Engineer

Jul 20, 2007
    Milwaukee, WI
    If you have an R22 or an HD DVR why not pop $50 for an AM-21 over the air tuner? You can watch (and record) all the channels and sub-channels your antenna can pick up in HD. Your local channels (and sub channels) will appear in the online guide too.

5. lombar

lombar Cool Member

Nov 24, 2006
    Oh yea. I have an OTA antenna attached. Problem is I only get some local HD channels without having to change positions of the antenna. Real pain. I guess I could try a more expensive antenna but not sure if it would work.

6. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
  7. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    How many DVR's do you have? If you have two, and a better antenna doesn't work, add a second pointed at the other stations.. One hooked to one dvr, one to the other... :D Where there is a will, there is a way. I say no to comcast out of principal whenever possible.. I don't like how they hold things hostage.

8. randy98mtu

randy98mtu Cool Member

Jan 20, 2011
    I left Comcast 2 years ago. My promotion ended and I called to get a better rate, as I had been instructed to do in the past by Comcast employees. They said all they could do was give me phone service for the same price. Obviously that wasn't what I was after. A few weeks later I had trouble with my internet. I had trouble with it every 6 months or so for the whole 6 years I had it between 2 addresses. They failed to fix it on the first visit and had to come out again. I think they missed an appointment in there somewhere too. On my next bill I was hit with 2 service calls. That was the last straw. I got them to remove one of the charges and proceeded to set up with Dish. When my wife called them to cancel, they said they could offer us a better rate. :lol: I haven't looked back and won't ever go back to them.

Their DVR software was complete junk. I had to reboot the box fairly regularly. And as I said, I always had trouble with their internet. Before them I had TiVo, after them I have Dish and AT&T DSL. They have nothing to offer. Period. My DSL has been rock solid. Almost no outages in 2 years and nothing that has ever required a service call. The Dish DVR's are fantastic software wise. I'm switching to Direct for the whole home DVR.

9. mdavej

mdavej Hall Of Fame

Jan 30, 2007
    Dish will have some version of whole home DVR in a couple of months, if you can wait that long. It was demo'd at CES and works very well. Although you gain some sports and PPV channels with D*, you'll lose about 30 HD nationals (AMC, BBCA, TCM, E!, HLN, Cooking, Hist. Int'l, etc.), so keep that in mind.

10. mcbeevee

mcbeevee 97% Complete

Sep 18, 2006
    You might get some antenna help from the avs forum for Eugene.

:)

11. lombar

lombar Cool Member

Nov 24, 2006
    Anyone know of a good antenna with 360 degree reception?

12. doctor j

doctor j Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jun 14, 2006
    Birmingham, Al.
    Consider a "jointenna".
    I've got 3 separate OTA antenna's together for optimal OTA reception in my area.

Doctor j

13. ThomasM

ThomasM RF Engineer

Jul 20, 2007
    Milwaukee, WI
    There used to be an RCA-branded antenna that looked like a spaceship (round plastic thing) that was mast-mounted. It received very good ratings but I'm not sure it's still available.

BTW: Don't believe the nonsense that special "digital" antennas are required. Digital TV is transmitted over the same frequencies that analog television was, and irregardless of the type of modulation, a radio (or television) signal is just that-Radio Frequency waves. That's what the "RF" in my title on the left stands for!! ;)