1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DirecTV Whole Home DVR frustrations

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by wb6vpm, Mar 30, 2013.

1. wb6vpm

wb6vpm New Member

Mar 30, 2013
    Every day in order to make sure that my DirecTV DVR (model # HR34-700) keeps recording shows when they are scheduled, I have to reboot my DVR daily. If I forget, inevitably what happens is, I will go to watch a pre-recorded show, something will have needed to start recording, it won't start recording anything, and when I get done watching the pre-recorded show, I will come back to a black screen. Menu's and everything else still work. I can browse the channels, but they are all black. Signal levels are good. DirecTV has already replaced the DVR, thinking that was the issue.

My units software version is 0x67e, with a date of Wed. 3/13, 11:47a.

All of the coax cable runs/connections, APPEAR to be good (not sure how far I trust the tech), they were tested as good by the DirecTV tech when he came out to troubleshoot this issue (and replaced the DVR at that time).

Any ideas?

2. ryanh9992

ryanh9992 Cool Member

Jan 4, 2013
    To be honest I think this is a known issue our engineering department is working to resolve, call and check!

3. wb6vpm

wb6vpm New Member

Mar 30, 2013
    Ryan, thank you for your quick response! who would I talk to to confirm that this is a known issue? every time I talk to Tech Support, they act like it's something that they have never heard of.

4. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    Running a system test should show if there is a cable problem.
    If you get an error(s), post the number here.
    I just downgraded to 067E this morning and haven't seen this problem.

5. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    This tends to be the catch all response when the CSR/tech doesn't know what to do.

It might be worth reading this to see if or how common these problems are with 067E:

www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=213492

6. ryanh9992

ryanh9992 Cool Member

Jan 4, 2013
    This issue usually only affects a limited number of boxes but you could have gotten unlucky. Call tech support, if they cannot fix it I can almost garuntee you are eligible for our awesome case management group. I'm pretty sure this was a known issue I'd have to be at work to look though.

7. Volatility

Volatility Legend

May 22, 2010
    I will check the customer affecting issues and see if that is a real problem the engineering team is working on and post back if it is or not.

8. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    You have access to a large database, but the bug report for 067B was pretty short and didn't have the OP's problems reported.
    067E has a few more tweaks for improvements.

9. ryanh9992

ryanh9992 Cool Member

Jan 4, 2013
    After checking our known issues it was resolved as per engineering on 3/25. So I would definitely seek tech support with DirecTV.

10. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    If the OP still has problems and the Genie and passes a system test, when the blank screen happens again, but the menu will come up, running a keyword search for SENDREPORT will have the Genie send a log to engineering and if the OP then adds this to the issues thread at the top of this forum, it will get read by engineering.
    Report the issue and conditions that caused it along with the report number and it will get their attention.

11. Billzebub

Billzebub Godfather

Jan 1, 2007
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I had this same problem before 67e. It seems to have cleared up since I got the download.

12. wb6vpm

wb6vpm New Member

Mar 30, 2013
    So how would I force it to upgrade since I have what I believe to be the current code (0x67e) which is dated 3/13?

13. wb6vpm

wb6vpm New Member

Mar 30, 2013
    I do not have version 067B, I have the current (well, what I believe to be current) version 067E.

14. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    You have the latest national release.

There is an issue thread for it at the top of this forum.
    Posting problems and sending a report with the report number as part of your post will help engineering to address the issue, since the report is a log from the receiver.

15. wb6vpm

wb6vpm New Member

Mar 30, 2013
    good to know! now if I start having problems that Tech Support cant fix, I can post it here and get someone who knows what they are doing to look at it :)

16. wb6vpm

wb6vpm New Member

Mar 30, 2013
    I will leave the unit without rebooting it for a few days, and see if the issue has been resolved.

17. Datagg

Datagg Legend

May 17, 2009
    Mesa, AZ
    That's always the song and dance they pull. Personally the only time they listen and not blame it on something else is when you tell them to cancel. Not saying you don't get that 1 person out of 20 that actually treats you with respect and actually listens, it does happen from time to time. There people across the board have more holes in there stories than Swiss cheese.