1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

DirecTV Windows Phone 7 App

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Connected Home' started by jkimrey, Nov 17, 2010.

1. jkimrey

jkimrey AllStar

Nov 24, 2005
    Just an FYI that the DirecTV app available on the iPhone and Android platform is now available in the app Marketplace for Windows Phone 7 devices.

2. xmetalx

xmetalx Godfather

Jun 3, 2009
    While I don't have a Windows Phone.. where's the 'like' button? :p

3. Chuck W

Chuck W Icon

Mar 26, 2002
    Connecticut
    Gotta love Microsoft's abandonment of windows mobile 6.x. For that reason alone, I wouldn't touch a WM 7 based phone going forward.

I'm wondering if this will be "adapted" by the XDA folks to work with the millions of WM 6.x devices currently out there.

4. Santi360HD

Santi360HD Icon

Oct 6, 2008
    New York City

just buy a new phone...thats micorsofty's answer...they're getting that mantra from their competitor Apple.

same like IPOD or Iphone...buy a new one
    my Ipod 30GB (2004 or 2005 I got it) still going strong since I ebay'ed a new battery for it (total 8$ for a new battery)..cause the Apple Store's answer was oh yeah we can fix it for you...JUST BUY A NEW ONE and throw this one away..HAHAHAH..like i was going to do that BECAUSE YOU SAID SO!!

I will never go back to Windows Mobile they're just as bad with upgrading the firmware..or just flat out DONT DO IT....dont buy it

5. jkimrey

jkimrey AllStar

Nov 24, 2005
    While I wouldn't want to get into a mobile OS war here :), I will say that one of the design principals for MS regarding WP7 was the problem with firmware updates on windows mobile.

Going forward with MP7, the update process is going to be much more controlled by MS, and much less dependent on the individual carriers (and devices).

6. vincentw56

vincentw56 New Member

Dec 10, 2007
    Wow! Poor guy. I can't believe you are whining about this. Grow up. Phones are good for only about 2 years and then it is time to upgrade. Microsoft didn't abandon support for WM 6.x recently. They abandoned it about 2 years ago when they release 6.1. :lol:

As someone who owned a WM 6.x for 2 years and just bought a Windows Phone 7, I am glad MS decided to abandoned a craptastic OS. If you still are holding on to the horrible OS, I really feel sorry for you. :nono:

The DirecTV App is really cool and was out before the phone was released. Funny it took this long to announce it.

The new Windows Phone 7 is AWESOME! :)

7. GreenScrew

GreenScrew Mentor

Nov 2, 2005
    The real issue here regarding WM6 is that DirectTV didn't release an app for the platform. I'd like it for WM6 myself, and assume there is a large enough user base, but apparently the market demographics that DirectTV has access to says otherwise.

IF WM7 was available through Verizon I'd have one today.

8. btalbott

btalbott DBSTalk Club Member

Oct 15, 2006
    I want NFL to GO now! Where are you?

9. xylo

xylo Cool Member

Dec 23, 2008
    This is pretty accurate. MOs have the option to block a release but then cannot block an N+1 release. Since we also have MO tests in house we can already see how the next release will pass tests or not. Additionally, since the chassis spec is fixed, there is less variables or uncertainty on how the upgrade will preform. There should be no real pressing reasons for an update to be blocked in most cases.

10. bills976

bills976 Godfather/Supporter

Jun 30, 2002
    I'm actually typing this reply on my HD7 after having used the DIRECTV mobile app. I have to say, big improvement over m.directv.com! My old phone was a touch pro 2, and win 7 just does circles around it. Still need to get used to the idea of a touch screen keyboard but I think I'll adjust!

11. uber_geek

uber_geek Mentor

Dec 5, 2007
    :biggthump

12. kiknwing

kiknwing Godfather

Jun 24, 2009
    Ogden, UT
    Unfortunately this app no longer works and I don't think that I'm alone with all of the reviews on the marketplace. "the remote server returned an error: NotFound.

13. naijai

naijai Hall Of Fame

Aug 19, 2006
    Yeah, I get the same error message on my HD7.

14. kiknwing

kiknwing Godfather

Jun 24, 2009
    Ogden, UT
    I can sign in now but now I get the error "communication error, could not get channel list from server. Try again later" Using an HTC Mazaa running 7.5 if that's helps.

15. Brent04

Brent04 Legend

Nov 22, 2004
    The DirecTV Windows Phone 7 app also stopped working for me. Get the "Communication error: Could not get the channels from the server! Please, try again later!" message.

16. pdawg17

pdawg17 Hall Of Fame

Jul 17, 2006
    Not working for me either...who do we report this to?

17. Brent04

Brent04 Legend

Nov 22, 2004
    I've posted a message on DirecTV's Service Twitter account this weekend and did not get a response back. I also sent an email to DirecTV today and waiting on a response to the email.

18. Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    I'm pretty sure you have right here...

Cheers,
    Tom

19. Brent04

Brent04 Legend

Nov 22, 2004
    Well so much for DirecTV support. The CSR thinks I'm talking about the receivers TV Apps when I clearly stated the Windows Phone 7 app. Email below:

Subject
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    DirecTV Windows Phone 7 app not working

Discussion Thread
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    Response Via Email() - 08/18/2011 01:30 PM
    Dear ,

Thanks for writing. I see that you're one of our long time customers and we want to let you know we value your business.

I'm very sorry to hear that your TV apps have stopped working. I appreciate being given the chance to address your concern.

We have received reports that customer’s may receive an error when trying to load TV Apps on various IRD models that states "TV App is currently unavailable. Please try again later" message. DIRECTV is aware of this known issue and our Engineering is working double time to resolve the issue.

Meanwhile, we need some input on the error message that you're getting. Please follow the steps below and let us know of the outcome so we can forward them to management.

1. Unplug the Ethernet cable from the IRD
    2. Manually reset the IRD
    3. Once the IRD fully recovers, plug in the Ethernet cable
    4. Run through and restore network setting, verifying connectivity to the internet.
    5. Try to load TV Apps. Note: It may take up to 2 hours for applications to fully load.

We appreciate your patience and understanding as we work to resolve this issue for you.

Thanks again for writing, Brent and providing us the opportunity to be of service to you.

Sincerely,

DIRECTV Customer Service

P. S. Football season is here! Catch up to 14 games every week this fall with NFL SUNDAY TICKET, now available at directv.com/nfl.

Customer By Web Form (Brent) - 08/16/2011 04:19 PM
    The DirecTV app for Windows Phone 7 has stopped working. When you try to use it you get the following message: "Communication error: Could not get the channels from the server! Please, try again later!" This has been happening for several weeks. Is DirecTV going to fix this issue?

20. employee3

employee3 Legend

Aug 15, 2006
    I have submitted a trouble issue via directv.com/email. If I get a response like the "TV Apps" I may be thinking of Dish or forgoing TV altogether. That is ridiculous.