1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

DirecTV2PC on the road

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Connected Home' started by azphi, Jun 10, 2010.

1. azphi

azphi AllStar

Apr 1, 2004
    I apologize if this topic has been discussed previously.

I travel quite frequently for work. I recently installed DirecTV2PC on my laptop, it works awesome while I'm at home. I am getting ready to leave on a work trip and would like to access my receiver while on the road. Is this possible? What do I need to do in order to make this possible?

LouPenya

2. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    "Something else".
    Look for things like slingbox

3. azphi

azphi AllStar

Apr 1, 2004
    Bummer, I was hoping that I would not have to buy additional equipment. Thanks for the advice.

LouPenya

4. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    You need something that can scale down the recording [to upload] which DirecTV2PC doesn't.

5. azphi

azphi AllStar

Apr 1, 2004

Boy, you are right there. The picture quality is awesome! Definitely not scaled down. I really like the program.

LouPenya

6. RAD

RAD DIRECTV A-Team

Aug 5, 2002
    Dripping...
    Yea, go with the Slingbox, works great. Of course the faster your internet uplink at home is the better. Also with Sling you'd have full control over the receiver back home, so you can watch live TV if you want. Just remember though that the receiver you connect the Slingbox to needs to be IR for the remote, you can't do RF.

7. tgater

tgater Godfather

Jul 24, 2007
    Plus for a little extra you can stream your sling to most smart phones.

8. EVAC41

EVAC41 Legend

Jun 27, 2006
    I have noticed when I used my Slingbox it took up a lot of bandwidth to watch an 1/2 hour show remotely.

Just an FYI...

9. RAD

RAD DIRECTV A-Team

Aug 5, 2002
    Dripping...
    Sling will try to use as much of your upstream bandwidth as it can to provide the best PQ that it can within that limitation. So if you have an ISP with bandwidth caps Sling is something you might want to be careful about using.

10. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    I'm pretty sure that you can set the maximum bandwidth within the slingplayer app.

11. RAD

RAD DIRECTV A-Team

Aug 5, 2002
    Dripping...
    Yes you can set the bandwidth to be used.