1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

DirecTV2PC on Windows 8?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Connected Home' started by islesfan, Oct 22, 2012.

1. islesfan

islesfan Hall Of Fame

Oct 18, 2006
    Nevada
    I have an "ultrabook" on the way from Amazon with Windows 8 installed. Anyone know if DirecTV2PC will work on it?

2. jdspencer

jdspencer Hall Of Fame

Nov 7, 2003
    I suspect you will be the first one to know. :)

3. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    Pretty unlikely, maybe 20% chance.

4. CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    I tried it on the pre-release..no go.

5. coolman302003

coolman302003 2014 NBA CHAMPIONS!

Jun 2, 2008
    Southeast
    I don't see why you couldn't run it in Windows XP compatibility mode...unless Win 8 is not going to have that

6. dennisj00

dennisj00 Hall Of Fame

Sep 27, 2007
    Lake Norman, NC
    I wish you luck!

7. kiknwing

kiknwing Godfather

Jun 24, 2009
    Ogden, UT
    I'm running the RTM build of windows 8 pro and have DirecTV2PC working on my laptop. Didn't do anything special to get it to run.

8. sean10780

sean10780 Godfather

Oct 16, 2007
    I to have Windows 8 pro running and Directv2PC working as well.

9. yosoyellobo

yosoyellobo Icon

Nov 1, 2006
    Jacksonville Fl
    Quick question. Is there a Windows 8 and Windows 8 Pro or just Windows 8 Pro? Thanks.

10. kiknwing

kiknwing Godfather

Jun 24, 2009
    Ogden, UT
    Both. Here is the difference from newegg

Windows 8 – This is the main edition of Windows 8, which is targeted at home users. It’s most similar to the “Home Premium” edition of Windows 7. With Windows 8, you get all the features you’d expect – the Windows desktop with support for traditional Windows desktop programs, the new environment formerly known as Metro, and other features designed for home users. Most people will be happy with this edition of Windows 8.

Windows 8 Pro – The Pro version is targeted at businesses and enthusiasts. It includes the kind of features traditionally included in professional editions of Windows: group policy support, remote desktop server capabilities, Windows domain support, encrypting file system, virtual hard disk booting, and BitLocker. There’s one feature that might interest some of you here, though – you can only use Windows Media Center on Windows 8 Pro. It’s available as a free add-in, but only for the Pro version of Windows 8.

11. tgater

tgater Godfather

Jul 24, 2007
    I'd like to see an app, myself FWIW.

12. yosoyellobo

yosoyellobo Icon

Nov 1, 2006
    Jacksonville Fl
    Great info. Thanks.

13. islesfan

islesfan Hall Of Fame

Oct 18, 2006
    Nevada
    Well, I got the computer on Friday and it didn't run DirecTV2PC. It does most other things great, but no go on the DirecTV. Sould love to see a Windows 8 App like I have for my iPhone, though. Not the same, but would still be good.

14. Drew2k

Drew2k DIRECTV A-Team

Aug 16, 2006
    Did you try to install it in compatibility mode?

No guarantee this will work, but something to try: Right-click the installer, choose Properties, and on the Compatibility tab select one of the Windows 7 options.

15. Hoffer

Hoffer AllStar

Jun 18, 2007
    I upgraded my Windows 7 desktop to Windows 8 over the weekend. Been using DirecTV2PC all work without a single issue. Actually, first time I launched it, I got an error message about my video card. Rebooted my computer, launched the application again and it has worked fine since.

I was especially glad that it continues working on my second monitor when I bring up the "Metro" interface. Seems like the second monitor always displays the desktop.

16. CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    I can't get it to run correctly on Windows 7 64-bit either. Exact same computer, runs perfectly fine on 32-bit Windows 7, get audio with no video for all recordings that arent OTA on 64-bit Windows 7. OTA recordings playback fine.

17. Hoffer

Hoffer AllStar

Jun 18, 2007
    I used DirecTV2PC on 64-bit Windows 7 since Windows 7 came out.

18. PHL

PHL Legend

Jul 15, 2004
    DTV2PC stopped working for me about 2-3 months ago. Everything was working fine until all of a sudden it wouldn't show any video. Audio and navigating through the menus all worked without a hitch.

Just now, I tried reinstalling DTV2PC. Same problem. I'm using Win7 ultimate, 64bit.

FWIW, the MS Win8 Upgrade Advisor lists Directv2pc as compatible.

19. lparsons21

lparsons21 Hall Of Fame

Mar 4, 2006
    Herrin, IL
    On my laptop after upgrading to win8, DirecTV2PC decided that the same card in the same machine no longer supported 'screen protection' or some such crap and wouldn't show a thing.

20. PHL

PHL Legend

Jul 15, 2004
    My issue is similar. I think the problem may have started when I updated my video card driver a few months ago. Most likely, when you upgraded to Win 8, you also updated your video driver. Just curious, does your laptop have ATI graphics?