1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Directv's Active and app plans post Weather Channel

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by mkdtv21, Jan 24, 2014.

1. mkdtv21

mkdtv21 Legend

May 27, 2007
    I don't want this to be a discussion about the weather channel but about what you think the plans will be for the new weather app and active weather service which will obviously be branded by the Weathernation. Maybe we will finally get an hd version of active since we already got IACHD channel and will need a new design for weather information. I hope it is still true about the Weathermix Channel since Weather Channel is gone now and I wonder what the new tv app will be like. Anyone have any thoughts?

2. Laxguy

Laxguy Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    I think we could have a very good app that has nothing to do with TWC- but whether or not remains to be seen.

3. RunnerFL

RunnerFL DIRECTV A-Team

Jan 4, 2006
    A Weather Underground app would be awesome!

4. wilbur_the_goose

wilbur_the_goose Hall Of Fame

Aug 16, 2006
    A weather app would be very helpful. Why not just take the one they had and rebrand it?

5. Laxguy

Laxguy Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    Depends on what ownership TWC had in the app. Anywhere from 0-100%. I suspect anything above 0% would be a problem.

6. Go Beavs

Go Beavs Hall Of Fame

Nov 18, 2008
    Portland,...
    I'd love to have a Weather Underground app that can show my PWS on it, but I think they're owned by The Weather Channel. If that's the case, I can't imagine it will happen.

7. ep1974

ep1974 Legend

May 22, 2010
    First I've heard about a Weathermix Channel. Any details??

8. Drucifer

Drucifer New Member

Feb 12, 2009
    NY Hudson...
    Since the installation of the HD TVapps, the choices of apps in this age of apps has in one word been pathetic.

9. PCampbell

PCampbell Icon

Nov 18, 2006
    Dose anybody know who wrote the Weather app?

10. peds48

peds48 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    I would like a Yahoo weather app.

11. codespy

codespy Packers or Bust!! DBSTalk Club

Mar 29, 2006
    Wisconsin
    I second that, and since the weather app is gone, I do not use apps at all. At the minimum bring back the old NOAA apps we had before until something gets developed, unless of course there are no HD versions.

For our family, if there is no weather app, just scrap the apps completely and speed up the IRD's.

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk

12. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    Hmmm ... I'd say look at the copyright/info page on the app to find out but that is no longer possible.

For reference the TWC branded app on DISH is copyrighted by EchoStar. But the branding and screen design matches TWC's "L" feed so I suspect it would need a fresh start - not just removing the brand logo. I suspect the same is true of the DirecTV app - regardless of who actually wrote it TWC owns part of the design.

13. PCampbell

PCampbell Icon

Nov 18, 2006
    It should be easy to change the GUI part of the app but the data source could be a much bigger job.

14. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    If DirecTV can work from the old NOAA app it may help. Otherwise any attempt to "rework" would end up in court.
    NOAA as a data source would be a decent replacement - unless WeatherNation wanted to personalize the results.

15. codespy

codespy Packers or Bust!! DBSTalk Club

Mar 29, 2006
    Wisconsin
    I remember when this one got taken down, and I was missing it immediately as we used it all the time. It seems to me the developer took the high road. I would like to see it back.

http://www.yauws.com/directv-tv-app/im-out

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk

16. MysteryMan

MysteryMan DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    I agree, the current HD TV Apps are pretty lame. Though we've been told more HD TV Apps are coming they don't seem to be a high priority with DirecTV.

Bringing back the NOAA TV Apps would be nice. NOAA currently has HD Apps for iPad and iPhone but unfortunately no HD TV App.

17. Drucifer

Drucifer New Member

Feb 12, 2009
    NY Hudson...
    The NOAA TV App really should be mandatory on all new televisions and be provided by all rebroadcasters in some manner.

1 person likes this.