1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Directv's answer to "Turbo" hd....

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by Jazzbo, Dec 15, 2008.

1. Jazzbo

Jazzbo New Member

Dec 10, 2008
    Why doesn't Directv have a package that's comparable to Dish's Turbo?
    Do they have something similar and I've just overlooked it?
    The idea of being able to receive and pay for only hd channels is an excellent idea and I'm surprised that Directv is behind the curve on this one.
    Is there anything in the works along these lines?
    ....anybody? :confused:

2. xIsamuTM

xIsamuTM Icon

Jul 8, 2008
    closest match i can think of is HD Extra Pak

3. BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    DirecTV doesn't NEED to have such a package; they don't have one now and are still doing much better than Dish in the market.

I'm sure Dish didn't really WANT to create their HD-Only package, but doing so was one of the ways they mitigated the loss of Voom and their being behind in adding HD channels (they caught up fairly quickly, though). They also know that sports watchers are among the largest group of HD adopters, and they don't have the premium sports packages to offer, so they needed something else to compete.

I would guess that the HD-only package cuts pretty deep into Dish's profit margin...

4. bonscott87

bonscott87 Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07

Jan 21, 2003
    Why would they need too? For just a few bucks more you get more HD channels with DirecTV plus all the SD channels (which most people still watch). "Turbo" HD is simply a marketing gimmick for Dish and nothing more. There are a few people out there that actually benefit from it but not many.

5. TigersFanJJ

TigersFanJJ Hall Of Fame

Feb 17, 2006
    HD extra pack is nothing like Turbo HD. HD extra pack is an add on that requires you to have Directv HD access and a base package. Turbo HD is three HD only packages from Dish Network.

For $5 on top of HD access and your base package price, HD Extra Pack gives you:
    HDNet Movies
    MGM
    Smithsonian
    Universal
    Palladia
    Crime & Investigation Network

For $29.99, TurboHD Bronze gives you:
    Locals (if available in HD, $24.99 if not)
    A&E
    ABC Family
    Cartoon Network
    Food Network
    HD Theater
    HD Net
    HGTV
    History
    Lifetime
    CNBC
    CNN
    Discovery
    Disney
    ESPN
    ESPN 2
    ESPN News
    Palladia
    SciFi
    TBS
    TLC
    TNT
    Travel Channel
    USA
    Weather Channel

A quick google for "Dish TurboHD" and you will be able to see the other levels (Silver and Gold), what channels are included, and the prices.

6. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    Its a nice theory that Dish has, but there are too many wholes in the number of channels that are in hd vs. sd right now, I don't think many people would really want to switch to it, and I doubt directv would want to loose the revenue anyway. (think of all the areas that only have part time rsns. That alone would be a non starter for many customers)They have never offered super low price entry level packages as a main offering. Just not their focus. It might add a few subs, but they would probably be less stable and more likely to churn... I would like to see them get rid of the hd fee and simply equal out the costs over all the customers. I think that would be far better as a marketing tool.. being able to say, our HD is completely free....

7. bonscott87

bonscott87 Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07

Jan 21, 2003
    I'd predict that they will indeed do that by 2010 or 2011 at the latest. Some cable companies are trying to do this already (although they still get you with other crazy HD fees).

8. TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol Hall Of Fame

Oct 1, 2003
    Phoenix, AZ
    I'd like to see them get rid of the SD channels that also have HD feeds, which would save money and free up some more bandwidth. Just take and downrez the HD feed for people who are still using SDTVs. Plus the picture would look a lot better. Why have both when one can do the job?

9. fkostyun

fkostyun Mentor

Feb 15, 2007
    I'm on the line about switching - it'd be $30/month cheaper for me. Works out to $360/year - which is a pretty nice chunk of change.

10. Newshawk

Newshawk Hall Of Fame

Sep 3, 2004
    Broken...
    How do you figure that? Remember, the SD channels are on the 101 and the HD channels are on the 99 and 103, so that would mean everyone would have to have a MPEG4 receiver to see the channels, unless you downrezzed the MPEG4 feeds and put them back on the 101... but wait, you're using the same bandwidth again...

It'll never fly, Orville...

11. Chip Moody

Chip Moody Legend

Jul 31, 2007
    I wouldn't mind them doing this except for the fact that some stations (<cough> TBS! <cough>) insist on stretching 4x3 content to 16x9, which just pisses me off. Until/if those stations change that, I want the SD channel as an option.

- Chip

12. Jhon69

Jhon69 Hall Of Fame

Mar 27, 2006
    Central San...

Because all SD receivers would have to be MPEG4 capable.;)

As for the Downrezzed HD feeds,that is exactly what DirecTV and the programmers are doing now.But it's in MPEG2 SD so no bandwith savings until a complete MPEG4 SD switchover.;)

P.S. If a switchover would ever happen.It would be a few years at least I would think.;)

13. Jeremy W

Jeremy W Hall Of Fame

Jun 19, 2006
    More than just a few years. 5-10 years if they started today.

14. inkahauts

Nov 13, 2006
    Yeah, like 15-20 a month per hd dvr...

15. inkahauts

Nov 13, 2006
    Im sure that will happen, as soon as all their customers have MPEG-4 apable equipment.. so we are a few years away.. like 5-10...

16. JohnMeyer

JohnMeyer Cool Member

Dec 15, 2008
    Bolded are channels that I frequently watch... when I get older and on my own this would be a great deal for me as a Teenager still. I'm not a big movie person... I have my 360 for entertainment... so this is a great package for me.