1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DirecTV's HD Push Stimulates Competition

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by VeniceDre, Jul 24, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. VeniceDre

VeniceDre Hall Of Fame

Aug 16, 2006
  2. falken

falken Legend

Jun 14, 2007
    The video made my chuckle...

Cable has had much more HD than DirecTV? Currently the offerings are the exact same in HD between my cableco and DirecTV.

Value? Here is what cable would cost me: $40/mo for Classic Cable+$5 for Digital Cable+$15 per HD DVR+$12 Digital Choice+7.95 HD Pack = 109.95 ( I have 3 HD DVRs ).

Here is what DirecTV would cost: $69.99 Plus HD DVR Package+$9.98 for 2 extra receivers=$79.97

You would save $360 a year by going with DirecTV.

3. logdog

logdog New Member

Jun 6, 2007
    I had to laugh at that one too. The "value" of cable is exactly what caused me to switch to DirecTV. With Time Warner in TX, unless you bundle cable, internet, and VoIP phone service you get absolutely rooked on individual service pricing. I was paying quite a bit more for digital cable with DVR service (no HD even) than I am paying now for my HR20 service. Hate to say it, but TW did such a poor job with their DVR service there was no way I was going to bite on their VoIP phone service.

4. Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    "Switched Broadcast Video" (SBV) will bring parity to cable sooner than expected? But wait, no DVRs exist yet or are out in the field yet for SBV. Sounds like a huge catchup cycle to me as the average piece of consumer electronics takes 12 to 18 months to create and get on the shelves in time for Christmas. :)

Cheers,
    Tom

5. Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich Lifetime Achiever

Nov 15, 2005
    The "push", is because DirecTV is a relatively consistant carrier accross the entire marketspace.

With the differenced only being what locals are available (in each market)...
    The HD converage is push on ALL cable-co and other region based carriers.

That is the #1 issue (IMHO) with cable-co's and their marketing... It has to be market specific, as even here in Chicago... there are some towns that are still on an older system, and don't have the same offerings as a town just 20 miles down the road.

6. DawgLink

DawgLink Woof Woof Woof

Nov 5, 2006
    Washington, DC
    If DirecTV delivers upon their HD channels in the next 365 days and counting, Cable will be left in the dust in many areas.

7. Albie

Albie Godfather

Jan 26, 2007
    Dawg you mean to say that our wonderful Cox New Orleans will not be able to keep up ? :D (Maybe they need C. Ray back at the helm :eek2: )

8. DawgLink

DawgLink Woof Woof Woof

Nov 5, 2006
    Washington, DC
    Cox has been dead to me for years.

I stuck with them long enough.

The fact that they were allowing a dispute during the Saints/Eagles game was a disgrace...along with fighting with ESPN pubicly for months...

Killing their own business yearly

9. admiral39

admiral39 Legend

Nov 6, 2006
    Well, while I love my DirecTV, they are not without their annoyances when it comes to programming. Their pissing match with LinTV is getting on my last nerve. We've had our locals here in Buffalo for what, 6 months now? Still no CBS in HD. I'm not in the mood to have to mount an OTA antenna on my roof for one bloody channel (not interested in the subs and indoor doesn't work at all).

10. VeniceDre

VeniceDre Hall Of Fame

Aug 16, 2006
    It's not so much DirecTV as it is LinTV...They have been problematic to all providers who want their local owned channels, not just in the Buffalo area.

11. bidger

bidger Hall Of Fame

Nov 19, 2005
    In my area the only broadcast networks that TWC offers in HD are NBC and PBS, both of which are easily accessible with an outdoor antenna for me, powered indoor if I lived a bit closer to the transmitters. TWC also offers MOJO, MHD, and YES-HD full time, I'm not in one of the full-time MPEG 4 areas for DIRECTV, while DIRECTV carries ESPN2 and UHD and I have waivers for CBS and FOX.

Admiral39, I was in a similar situation, well DIRECTV doesn't carry my locals, but I was looking at having an outdoor antenna for one station, NBC-HD. When I heard that PBS was doing HD OTA after the first of this year, I made up my mind that I would have to have the antenna up before the start of the NFL Season. Fact is a lot of cable companies are doing outdoor antenna installs because they don't want to have their hands tied with retrans agreements. I look at it as insurance that if I should ever have to cancel multichannel service, I'll still have HD that I can view free of charge.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.