1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

DirecTV's 'NFL Sunday Ticket Available on Macs/iOS Devices

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by tunce, Jul 16, 2014.

1. tunce

tunce Godfather

Jan 19, 2006
  2. Bambler

Bambler Legend

May 30, 2006
    I hope this is true! I can finally ditch DirecTV.

I'm currently subscribing to two services because DirecTV lacks something I want, while conversely I still want Sunday Ticket.

3. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
  4. harsh

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    Unless the terms change, DIRECTV won't qualify you for the online service because you are not "underserved".

5. woj027

woj027 Icon

Sep 3, 2007
    Portland, OR
    are you sure its for those who are "underserved" I haven't read anything saying that yet, just started reading though.

6. tunce

tunce Godfather

Jan 19, 2006
  7. harsh

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
  8. harsh

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    Since the AppleInsider link made other serious errors (like missing the first two seasons the service was available), I wouldn't hang my hat on anything what the article says; it is classed as a rumor after all.

Again, no subscription is required, but you must NOT be able to subscribe to DIRECTV to qualify for the online-only service. In either case, you have to go through DIRECTV and if you can receive their conventional satellite TV service, they'll more than likely sign you up for a two year hitch with it.

9. ToddD

ToddD Legend

Jun 14, 2006
    This is fully correct. Appleinsider and Macrumors posted before understanding the full facts. This is almost the same program that has existed for the past 2 seasons. Simply put if you can get DTV it's not for you.

10. jmagoo

jmagoo New Member

Sep 23, 2007
  11. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    "... if you live in an apartment building where DIRECTV service is not available, attend one of these universities, or live in the following metro areas: New York City, Philadelphia, or San Francisco."

UNIVERSITY OF WASHINGTON
    UNIVERSITY OF TEXAS AT AUSTIN
    UNIVERSITY OF SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA
    UNIVERSITY OF MICHIGAN- ANN ARBOR
    UNIVERSITY OF FLORIDA
    UNIVERSITY COLORADO AT BOULDER
    UNIVERSITY OF ALABAMA
    SYRACUSE UNIVERSITY
    OHIO STATE UNIVERSITY
    HARVARD UNIVERSITY

12. peds48

peds48 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    There is going to be a lot of disappointed folks when they find out the are not eligible for this service, judging by the comments when this was announced

13. joed32

joed32 Hall Of Fame

Jul 27, 2006
    Here is the disclaimer they added to that article:

Update 1:45 PM PT: As noted by Engadget, an FAQ on the DirecTV site indicates that the NFL Sunday Ticket subscription free plan may be limited to customers in "select areas, residence types, and enrolled in select universities." Users must enter their address information on the DirecTV site to find out if they are eligible.

14. fireponcoal

fireponcoal Icon

Sep 26, 2009
    Why only those three specific metro areas? Messing with comcast? I'm certain that's not it but it would be great if D* started playing hardball in this way..

15. harsh

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    They'll only be disappointed if they didn't go to the source. The blogosphere isn't doing us any favors when they "enhance" with incorrect information.

16. Bambler

Bambler Legend

May 30, 2006
    I'm curious as to why they limited the availability to a seemingly random allotment of geography and universities?

Or maybe it isn't so random:

New York City: probably doesn't have a high penetration of satellite customers for obvious reasons (multi-tenant buildings/high rises). The city that houses NFL's HQ.
    Philadelphia: The home of Comcast and probably has a low count of DirecTV as well (at least "sport's customers") due to the Philly channel and other reasons?
    San Francisco: no idea really.

The random sampling of universities are another strange element. The only thing I can think of in regards to the listed Pac-12 schools and Texas (which combined make up 40% of the list) is that maybe they indeed saw some defections of sport-centric customers due to the Pac-12 and Longhorn network respectively, customers that might otherwise subscribe to Sunday Ticket had they remained?

17. Laxguy

Laxguy Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    The real outlier is Harvard. Anyone guess as to why it's included?? A strange pick.....

18. Paul Secic

Paul Secic Hall Of Fame

Dec 16, 2003
  19. bjoe

bjoe Cool Member

Oct 16, 2008
    Some good details here. I think they mean any address in those 3 metro areas qualifies. Anywhere else, any multi-family address qualifies. I tested the reporter's theory by entering the address of the apartment complex next to my office here in TX and the D* site says I qualify despite the fact there are several directv dishes on the south facing balconies. Therefore, they must only be looking if the address is multifamily, and not matching up to see if they have actual dish subscribers located there.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/markrogowsky/2014/07/16/at-last-most-nfl-junkies-will-be-able-to-get-sunday-ticket-without-a-satellite-dish/

20. dcowboy7

dcowboy7 Hall Of Fame

May 22, 2008
    Pequannock, NJ
    Well that not what the directv ad says so somebody is way off.