1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

DIRT Question? Need new Equip. - 3 ways to go

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by saltrek, Jun 6, 2014.

1. saltrek

saltrek Godfather

Oct 22, 2005
    Subsciber since 1999. Been on auto pay for many years.

I had four receivers and an old sling box - multiple issues now:

- 508 - completely died (removed from account)
    - VIP 211 - reboots every 5 to 20 minutes
    - VIP 622 - reboots whenever attempting to tune to an antenna channel
    - VIP 622 - No problems
    - Slingbox PRO - power issues-twice thought it was dead after power hits, but came back to life

My current bill is $120.99. Amerca's Top 250, BB @ Home, $17 DVR rcvr, $7 DVR svc, $7 HD Rcvr.

I would prefer my bill not increase by more than $10.

I think I will stay with the five tuner set up.

Option 1 - replace the two bad receivers with the same models. No additional cost, but will probably get a new slingbox 500 at $300.

Option 2 - replace the 211 with a 211 and replace the 622 with a Sling Loaded 922. What would it cost to upgrade one receiver? What would my bill increase to?

Option 3 - Hopper with sling/Super Joey/Joey. What would the equipment cost? What would my bill increase to?

Thanks for any inputs.

2. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    I would recommend against any option that involved the ViP922. It is a quirky box.

It would be much easier to make a tailored recommendation if you told us how many independent viewings you want. What you had isn't always the best indicator of what you want.

If you think you might be a fan of DISHOnline, I'd suggest a Hopper with Sling or a ViP722 and a Sling adapter.

You may be a candidate for a dual-hopper setup depending on how many views you need.

3. saltrek

saltrek Godfather

Oct 22, 2005
    I originally was going to make option 2 be a 722 with a sling adapter, but when I checked the website, I didn't even see the 722 listed, so I wasn't sure if that was a viable option or not. I could make that "Option 2a", I suppose.

In order to compare costs, I am sticking to the 5 tuner set up. Which is why I may have to wait for a DIRT team memeber to respond, since the equipment costs may be tied to customer standing.

4. thomasjk

thomasjk Legend

Jan 10, 2006
    Best to PM DIRT if you want a response.