1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Disappionted

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by Breezy, Nov 15, 2012.

1. Breezy

Breezy New Member

Nov 15, 2012
    My house burnt down July of 2012. I called to suspend my Directv service a couple days later. When I called they told me there would be no charges incurred for receivers or anything because of what had happened. Last month (october 2012) I got to move into the new house. I called to restart my service. I told them I wanted 1-HDDVR receiver and 2-standard receivers. Instead I got 2-DVR receivers and 1-standard. I of course called to complain about this with no luck at all. That is when I learned that the 3 receivers I had in the house that burnt were still on my account. So I wrote down the numbers off the receivers I have now so that the others could be taken off. When I called to give them these numbers I was informed that I would owe them around $250 for the old receivers. Also, just got my first bill - I haven't even been moved in a whole month - and it is about $60.00 higher than what it should be. There are multiple fees on there that I don't understand.
    I am to the point of switching to a different service. I do not want it to effect my credit score but I can't justify paying a company that has lied to me this many times.

2. patmurphey

patmurphey Godfather

Dec 21, 2006
    They have every right to bill you for the lost receivers. You can include their value in your contents reimbursement of your homeowners insurance.

3. Breezy

Breezy New Member

Nov 15, 2012
    My problem is that I was told that I would not be responsible for those receivers. I have already done all of my insurance claims and they are closed now.

4. lparsons21

lparsons21 Hall Of Fame

Mar 4, 2006
    Herrin, IL
    You can try to get an addendum to the claims usually.

5. Breezy

Breezy New Member

Nov 15, 2012
    Not gonna happen. The claim was paid in full. I don't have anymore money to get. If they would have told me that I had to pay for them when I asked the first time I could have included that on my insurance claims. That or I would have dug through the ashes left behind from everything I own and my two dogs that didn't make it out and "recovered" the receivers to send back to them.
    If this would have been the first issue with them recently I might not be as mad but since reactivating my account I have had nothing but problems.

6. anopro

anopro Legend

Sep 13, 2006
    Sorry for your loss on the Dogs I could care a rats ass about the driect tv receivers.

7. Breezy

Breezy New Member

Nov 15, 2012
    I don't care about them other than the fact that I was told I wouldn't have to pay for them and now they want to charge me $250 for them. They knew from the beginning that I did not have them to return. I told them when I suspended my service (big mistake I should have just cancelled then), when I called to activate my account they asked about them and I told them what happened again, when the guy came out to set up my service he asked about them again I told hi what happened, I told them at least 5 times and no one ever mentioned any fees until I called to tell them which receivers I still have (Why don't they know this?) thats when the CSR told me about the fees. All the while I have been arguing with them about them sending me the wrong equipment - which none of which works worth a crap. ON top of all of it I have a ton of crazy charges on my bill

8. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    Call back and ask to speak to customer retention and see what they can do for you.

9. anopro

anopro Legend

Sep 13, 2006
    Yeah sorry for the quip I just love my dog so much I’d be beside myself with greif. Your right they should have told you to claim them on your insurance, but I bet it don’t come up much at customer service. Direct TV is not very flexible when it comes to their receivers. If I saved up the dough I have spent on direct TV equipment over the years. I'd be spending February in Hawaii.

10. Breezy

Breezy New Member

Nov 15, 2012
    No worries. The issues I have with Directv don't even come close to the pain I still feel everyday about my babies. I have no children of my own and they were my kids. I hate myself on a daily basis for not being able to get them out. After everything that has happened I just wished that there would be a sensitive person out there to help me.

11. RunnerFL

RunnerFL DIRECTV A-Team

Jan 4, 2006
  12. Breezy

Breezy New Member

Nov 15, 2012
    I emailed her maybe 2-3 hours ago and just got an email back from someone on her team. They have removed the old receivers at no charge.

13. RunnerFL

RunnerFL DIRECTV A-Team

Jan 4, 2006
    Awesome!

Sorry you had to go through all that, especially losing your home and dogs.

14. Breezy

Breezy New Member

Nov 15, 2012
    Thank you! and thank you for all the help.

15. sigma1914

sigma1914 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
    I was going to suggest this, too. I knew they'd straighten it out. My condolences over your pets; they're truly family.

16. dueport

dueport Mentor

Dec 2, 2009
    I'm very sorry for your loss and very happy these guys could connect you with someone who could make things a little easier. D* needs to take a careful look at how poor their phone support can be at giving thoughtless and inconsistent answers to customers. I can't imagine being on the other side of the phone and speaking with a customer with a story like yours and giving you a flip response like they did without trying to do something to help you. A little compassion and a whole lot more training and oversight would go a long way to improve the D* experience.

17. wahooq

wahooq DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Oct 19, 2011
    Tulsa, OK
    Really?...If i wrecked my car right now without comprehensive insurance....should i demand replacements for free? Just sayin

18. tulanejosh

tulanejosh Godfather

May 23, 2008
    He didn't demand anything for free. They told him they wouldn't charge him. He has a right to be upset when they change their tune after he's missed out on the opportunity to claim them on his insurance.

19. billsharpe

billsharpe Hall Of Fame

Jan 25, 2007
    Southern...
    Your comment has nothing to do with the OP's complaint and is uncalled for.:nono:

20. HarleyD

HarleyD Hall Of Fame

Aug 31, 2006
    Ah, but he DID have comprehensive insurance. He was told he was not responsible for the cost of the receivers that were lost and then billed for them by the very people who told him he was not responsible for that expense.

Had DirecTV told him it was on his dime at the very beginning he could have claimed it and his insurance would have covered it.

Why should he be left holding the bag for DirecTV's inability to put forth a consistent position?