1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Disappointed in GamePlan

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by ajc68, Nov 15, 2008.

1. ajc68

ajc68 Icon

Jan 23, 2008
    There was talk here that GamePlan was to possibly have some games in HD this season. Anyone that attempts to watch a SD game on and HDTV knows it's virtually unwatchable, especially on GamePlan.

This will be my last season subscribing to GamePlan and FullCourt after several years. I can't justify the price for what I consider a very poor (i.e. virtually unwatchable) product for HD consummers. I don't know what the reasoning is, but I'm shocked something hasn't been done about this as nearly 40% of households have an HDTV, and the percentage goes up big time with sports fans.

What ices it for me today is I'm watching the end of the Georgia/Auburn game on GamePlan in crappy SD. During a TO I switch over to ESPN and they break into the game with bonus coverage. Of course, they have the HD feed. So why can't GamePlan and its providers do the same?

For a package that sells for over $100, I expect a lot more! I don't know what the reasons are for not getting this done this season, but I have a hunch they will be losing a ton of business next season if they don't get this issue addressed.

2. saleen351

saleen351 Godfather

Mar 28, 2006
    I"m sure if you want a specific college it may help to have the package but for me, seems every big game is already on TV in HD...

I wish all sports packages were like the NFL... I dropped MLB last year, won't buy it ever again due to the bs..

3. davring

davring Hall Of Fame

Jan 13, 2007
    Even though most games are produced in HD I suspect the broadcast limitations lie in the bandwidth available by both ESPN and DirecTV.

4. stlmike

stlmike Legend

Aug 24, 2007
    Yep, it is horrible. It is made worse that we are now used to watching games in HD. I'm glad I'm a Big Ten fan and don't need it anymore... Sorry that you have to suffer through it.

5. Jestr40

Jestr40 Godfather

Jul 22, 2007
    Satracer has said here before that it is an ESPN decision not to offer HD games in Gameplan, not a D* one.

6. full moon

full moon Legend

Sep 3, 2007
    Gameplan is a waste to me...

7. kevinwmsn

kevinwmsn Hall Of Fame

Aug 19, 2006
    I get what you are saying about NFL offers all games in HD. However, I would hope not all sports packages were like the NFL.... I don't think everyone wants to pay an additional $100 for Superfan package just to get the games in HD.

8. tonyd79

tonyd79 Hall Of Fame

Jul 24, 2006
    Columbia, MD
    Not disappointed because it is what it is and we knew it would be going into the season. There was no real chance of HD this year and the package keeps going down in value as other networks (BTN, Versus) take over more college football.

9. aa9vi

aa9vi Godfather

Sep 3, 2007
    Agreed, I most likely will not renew. Since you only get 4 games at a time now on it, it's really not a good deal. Before ESPNU, the BTN, and the MTN, it used to have more games and be more worthwhile. I also agree 100%. The horrendous picture quality is the final straw. The package is only worth about $60 at the most a year now.

One of the "good" things was not having to see the horrible Vols this year in HD... that many more times. Better luck next year with Lane Kiffin or that Texas Tech guy.

10. Lee L

Lee L Hall Of Fame

Aug 15, 2002

I agree, the package is just not as attractive as it used to be 3 or 4 years ago.

However, with my wife being a degenerate Vols fan, as long as they have games on, losing or not, we will probably sub to it.

However, it would be nice if they could at least equal the quality of other SD channels. We have watched a few games on ESPN360 on the big TV and they looked better than what we see on Gameplan. Pretty sad that internet streaming can beat somethign broadcast from the satellite. At times, on Gameplan, I can't even see that there is a number on the jersey, just a colored blob of pixels that could be a splash of paint for all I know.

11. mlb

mlb AllStar

Jul 31, 2008
    As of now I'm dropping it as well. I know that next year Gameplan will have SEC games, but I really don't care about the low level SEC games. Plus, they will be picked up somewhere in the RSNs or even possibly on local OTA stations.

12. davring

davring Hall Of Fame

Jan 13, 2007
    Ohio loves those low level SEC teams:)

13. sshams95

sshams95 Legend

Sep 2, 2006
    After almost 10 years of being a Gameplan subscriber, I will not renew as well....too much money, no HD, and quite frankly, I rarely needed it as the networks, FSN, ESPN family and Big 10 broadcast most of the interesting games. I will use ESPN360 more next year.

14. Red Dog

Red Dog Godfather

Aug 3, 2008
    There were only 2 times this season where GP would have been useful to me - when Ole Miss upset Florida and the Texas-OSU game (which wasn't available on my local ABC affiliate). Not worth the expense. Same with FC.

15. mpar1

mpar1 AllStar

Mar 20, 2008
    Other than the occasional ABC regional game I could not other wise see, I only watch the Raycom SEC game. Next year that game will be available on some ESPN platform so I see no value going forward.

16. K1A

K1A AllStar

May 16, 2007
    You know all of the gameplan games are on ESPN360.com so you don't have to pay for it anyway. I am able to get that through my ISP (AT&T), it depends on your ISP.

17. mlb

mlb AllStar

Jul 31, 2008
    I'm a Cincinnati guy... so no hatred for the SEC here. :)

18. dshu82

dshu82 Icon

Jul 6, 2007
    Ditto.

I also remember the SD being particuarly bad on Gameplan the year or two I did have it.

19. tfederov

tfederov DIRECTV A-Team

Nov 18, 2005
    I'm thankful for the BTN. Gameplan was awful compared to the HD offerings of the Big Ten games. It was the only reason I got Gameplan prior to the BTN.

20. mobilelawyer

mobilelawyer Mentor

Aug 16, 2006
    Mobile, Alabama
    The SD picture is just awful. The video looks like it was shot through a soda bottle, and then dubbed to VHS before being transmitted.

Furthermore, most of the games I would most like to see are blacked out, so my incentive for getting it in the first place is gone.