1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Disappointed with DISH install (lack of)

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by mikasasukasa, Oct 3, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Oct 3, 2006 #1 of 10
    mikasasukasa

mikasasukasa Cool Member

Oct 3, 2006
    Well after spending all afternoon trying to get the DISH installed, it was determined to be a no-go.

I believe the installer was fairly new to trying to tune in the 129 HD SAT, as we kept getting a yellow strong signal on it (VIP 622) but he couldn't explain why it was yellow and saying wrong satelite.

He says the 129 SAT is on the horizon and where I live we just can't tune in the horizon very well. (I have trees in my back yard that are taller than my house and hour community is hilly). He did give it an honest try and I feel bad that he won't get paid, but I feel just as bad for myself as I wanted to get away from COX cable.

I guess I know why I don't see much dish use in Williamsburg VA...in effect there is no HD available for it...only locals and regular channels..

Can someone comment if what I was told is accurate? Is the HD Sat on the horizon?

2. Oct 3, 2006 #2 of 10
    richiephx

richiephx Godfather

Jan 18, 2006
    Was the installer trying to install a Dish1000 (110, 119 & 129 satellites)? All the HD channels are also on the 61.5 satellite for the east coast subscribers. Maybe he can try installing a Dish500 for 110 and 119 and a separate dish for 61.5?

3. Oct 3, 2006 #3 of 10
    mikasasukasa

mikasasukasa Cool Member

Oct 3, 2006
    Just read that on another thread. I'm going to call them and ask why they didn't try that.

4. Oct 4, 2006 #4 of 10
    tommy1956

tommy1956 Cool Member

Sep 25, 2006

I have the same problem,i have had three disk techs out.. This appears to be a 611 software issue..
    http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=65993&highlight=129

5. Oct 4, 2006 #5 of 10
    mikasasukasa

mikasasukasa Cool Member

Oct 3, 2006
    Just read your thread. should I have them test with a different receiver if the 622 doesn't work out again? Just to see if it's a receiver issue?

6. Oct 4, 2006 #6 of 10
    icmoney

icmoney Mentor

Jul 29, 2006
    Tx Hill Country
    I just self installed my vip622 yesterday. I originally had a single Dish 500 with a Dish Pro Plus Twin LNB looking at 110 & 119. I added a second Dish 500 with a Dish Pro Dual LNB aligned on 129 and connected to the orignal DishPro Plus LNB input jack. Sat 61.5 was too low on the horizon for me and was blocked by trees. The vip622 locked in on all 3 sat's and downloaded L365 software and has been working perfectly.

Here is the main point I have for you. I was never successful trying to acquire 129 using the Sat Receiver connected directly to the second dish or thru the DishPro Plus LNB. I finally had to acquire a inline Sat alignment meter and use it to line up on the 129 position. I am located in West Texas and 129 is about 10 degrees higher elevation off the horizon for me than 61.5. I would think you would want to use 61.5 from a Virgina location, always go for the Sat with greatest elevation off the horizon. Of coarse that will mean 2 seperate dishes for you also.

I do not buy into the theory that software version changes Sat receive levels. The RF appearing at the receiver input will be the same no matter what software version you have. You could have a defective vip622. Hope my experience helps you....good luck.

7. Oct 5, 2006 #7 of 10
    mikasasukasa

mikasasukasa Cool Member

Oct 3, 2006
    Update:

This time they send out a DISH employee (last time it was a contractor). And today's installer was way to quick to call it quits. He probably knows from his profesional opinion and experience that DISH won't work at my hosue, so he doesn't try very hard; however, the two were completely different in their attempts to install.

The most frustrating thing is the first installer was getting readings in the 80s where he mounted the dish to my house. The guy today didn't even mount the dish (using the existing holes, but instead just tried holding it in place). So he was only getting readings in the 50s on 119; however, as I said when braced properly he should have been getting in the 80s. So he never even attempted to find 61.5.

I want Dish for the HD and there installers are either too inexperienced to complete the job, or too quick to call it quits.

Does DISH sell a self-install kit that I can do it myself and still have the same discounts as buying directly from Dish?

UPDATE: I called Dish back to complain about the lack of truly attempting to install today. And now they are sending a Supervisor out tomorrow AM (I think it's supposed to be raining then, so that will probably be cancelled and I'll have to wait til next week to get any action with this).

I wish the installer would just leave the Dish unit with me and a long run of RG6 and I'd find a good location for both sats and then let them come back and do the wiring.

8. Oct 5, 2006 #8 of 10
    weatherman

weatherman New Member

Oct 5, 2006
    As a disabled person that spends 90% of my time in bed watching tv or reading, tv is for the most part my life, I know its a shame but with 7 bad disc and all the morphine and lorcet I have to take its just the way it is.
    I have been a direct customer since they first came out, (paid $650 for it), I call direct end of aug. to see about upgrading to the dvrs and am told it would cost several hundred bucks. I had just gotten a flyer in the mail from dish offering all this & more, so I called and signed up sept 1. they said it would be the 16th before they could come out and do the install, well of course no one showed or called, so I call dish and talk with some one and they said it was still scheduled this was about 8pm that night.
    I got a call 10 minutes later from the installer saying he wouldn't be able to show and wanted to come out that Sat. again no show, no call.
    I called dish again and asked to speak with a account rep. and this (alice) started going off on me before she hung up on me.
    I call again the next day and was assured that a installer would be there that Thursday, and he did show (drunk) he installed the unit (dual pro 500) and left, never said bye or nothing, my wife comes in and grabs the remote and it won't work unless you walk to the other end of the house.
    I call dish again and explain and accepted free service until they could get a install manager to my place.
    He didn't show on that Sat. but he did show up the next week, nice guy, had it working in 10 minutes even said it was due to a lazy installer. Then he had the nerve to hint about a monetary tip, said fixing my problem just paid $25 bucks, and he made his gas money on tips, I said I would be happy to give him a tip, DO NOT BUY DISH).
    Anyway the next morning i start to watch the news and the remote won't work again.
    I call dish and tell them that I made a mistake in ordering dish network and the person (from india I think) asked me to explain the problem, then started offering me the techs. and I said no thanks. she said I had 30 days free trial, and I said okay I would call back within the week when I had paid someone to put my direct dish back up.
    She said no problem as long as its with the 30 days. as soon as she said that my tv went off, I asked her about it and she said she didn't see no reason to leave it on. I again explained about me being disabled and how important tv was to me.
    She starts laughing and says you're all the same wanting something for nothing.
    I don't know if it will do any good or not but I found all the board members e-mail address's, and gave them all of the operator's ids.
    I called direct the same day and they came out the next morning and got me going again. I am a direct customer for life just on the way I was treated by them, and will tell all I can about the disservice of dish.
    Sorry to write this long but it makes me feel better.
    Dish sucks. just my opinion.
    If anything happens from my mail to their board I will post it.
    Thanks for listening

9. Oct 5, 2006 #9 of 10
    mikasasukasa

mikasasukasa Cool Member

Oct 3, 2006
    Wow that does stink. I had a bad experience with Direct, so that I will never ever use them again. Quick story is I work for a technology company that uses SmartCards for secuirty (before the DoD and other companies started using SmartCards for logon). so I bought a smartcard reader and was reimbursed by my company (it was a legit purchase). A few months later I got a letter saying Direct was going to sue me. I gave it to the company legal shop and I never heard from them again. But any company threatening to sue me doesn't get my business.

10. mikasasukasa

mikasasukasa Cool Member

Oct 3, 2006
    Finally got it installed! Unbelievable how good the guy was today. First he came out in a rain storm!!! And installed both dishes without any problems.

Finally I'm a happy camper. The moral of this story is keep trying new installers until you get one that wants to install and knows his stuff. Based on my limited perspective a contractor seems more willing to try and make it work for you. The Dish employees don't care...if it looks like it's going to be tough they won't even mess with it much.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.