1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Disaster trying to get HD-DVR installed!

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by ajb, Aug 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ajb

ajb New Member

Aug 11, 2007
    So LAST Thursday I called up D* and ordered my DirecTV HD DVR to go with my new HDTV. I got the unit for free shipped, cant complain. Install was scheduled for this past Wednesday. Installer was supposed to shoe between 8 and 12... didnt show. Called up, complained to D*, they said call the installer, Hallsted Communications. I ripped both of them a new one and got 270 in credits and an installer was supposed to be coming out again the same day at 5:30. Installer never showed. Complained again and someone was supposed to come out this morning. The guy came this morning, looked at the current setup (3 LNB on a tripod) and said he cant do it, there is no clear line of site. He didnt even get on the roof. I snapped and told him to go do his job and find a line of site. He then says we have the wrong multi-switch. He says I need a 6x16 and they gave me a 6x8. Ummmm, I have 2 dual tuner DVR's and 4 regular recievers, 8 is fine. So he went to go find a "line of site" and while I was oh the phone with D* he drove off!!!!! I complained while on the phone with D* about this, then he updated the order saying there was an "altercation. Ummm, no. I told him to do his job, no altercation. So now I have no HD DVR and no HD service on my HDTV, Comcast is looking mighty fine.

2. JLucPicard

JLucPicard Hall Of Fame

Apr 27, 2004
    I know subtlety is lost in the written word, but if I was an installer and dealing with someone who has ripped people new ones to get $270 in credits and then that individual "snapped and told him to go do his job", I'm not sure that a "scr3w you" drive off was necessarily out of line.

Yes it's frustrating to deal with no-shows, etc., but if you're going to abuse people, why should they try to help you out?

3. RobertE

RobertE New Member

Jun 9, 2006
    :up:

I've been in situations very similar through no fault of my own. Have to get very good a diplomicay/politics. I've had to polietely tell people "I'm here to take care of X, I can't control what happened on/with Y. If you want me to continue, please calm down and talk to me like a human being. Otherwise, I can leave and you can reschedule for another time."

I WILL NOT take verbal abuse from any customer. I don't care how much you pay, how long you have been a customer. There is absolutely ZERO reason for you to treat me like dirt.

4. CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    Agreed, from almost every word and phrase in the OP's post, he got abusive from the get go. The exact reason I refuse to deal with obnoxious consumers, it should not be tolerated by anyone dealing customer service. The customer is not always right, no matter what they try to teach you.

5. jdjacks10

jdjacks10 Cool Member

Jul 28, 2007
    I have to agree with the above post. While you may have been mad from the previous installer, no need to take it out on the new installer. You the customer,should try to work WITH the installer to try to find a solution. I think the installer did the right thing if you treated him as bad as you say you did.

6. bto4wd

bto4wd Duplicate User (Account Closed)

Apr 17, 2007
    I didn't read the OP the same way. He got upset with the recent installer because the recent install said it couldn't be done. No line of sight. Without checking other areas for dish mounting. Given the problems the OP had prior to this visit and then the fact that the only installer that has shown up says it can't be done without checking, most folks would be upset.

No one knows the details. I'd hazard to guess the installer that finally showed up already had a full day of bookings and was trying to get out of there ASAP. Very possible the tripod location wouldn't work and the installer didn't have half a day to scout for a new dish location, install the dish and run new cable. So he responded it can't be done and left as soon as the customer was out of sight.

What I don't understand is how any installation company can do a no-show/no-call and how D* puts up with that. But then again, that's probably one of the reasons their customer service ratings are falling.

I don't agree that "ripping a new one" is the best approach to take. But in some circumstances that all some folks understand.

7. JLucPicard

JLucPicard Hall Of Fame

Apr 27, 2004
    By the way.....

ajb, Welcome to DBSTalk! :welcome_s

Where people tell it like it is! :)

8. bto4wd

Apr 17, 2007
    Also, why did the installer try to cop out with the excuse he didn't have the right multiswitch. Based on the OPs equipment list, a 6x8 should have been fine.

Don't be so quick to jump on someone that has had problems on their first post.

Oh, any BTW, Welcome ajb.

:welcome_s

9. Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    RobertE, from the many posts of yours, I fully expect you would do everything correctly first, unlike the installer mentioned above. You would have verified LOS and switch (and known how to place two WB68's in parallel if need be.) So you likely would have not faced the wrath of the OP, and likely not faced any verbal abuse. In other words, you would have done good! (Must be why we like you.)

ajb, I'm sorry you had a fairly poor experience. But I hope you stay here at DBStalk.com as you are :welcome_s to the forums! :)

Cheers,
    Tom

10. tonyd79

tonyd79 Hall Of Fame

Jul 24, 2006
    Columbia, MD
    This is funny. My installer for the slimline at first didn't want to do it (line of sight issue) but being kind, talking with him, staring at the sky, giving him some history of my previous dishes and he tried it anway.

It was a big success.

Sorry, the OP may have had some problems (actually the only thing I read was a missed appointment) but he for sure was angry in his post and was probably angry with the guy.

11. bto4wd

Apr 17, 2007
    IMO, this thread had exhibited a down side of DBSTalk. ajb was upset and I believe rightfully so.

The OP had two no shows/no calls and D* gave him $270 in credits. Must have been for a reason.

Perhaps some folks need to take a break and stop jumping on anyone that expresses a problem, dislike, hatred with D*.

The OP was expressing his view (I think that's allowed here last time I checked). Everyone handles problems differently. But I'm pretty sure that if the first installer had shown up when scheduled and completed the job, ajb would have never felt the need to make his first post. He would be a happy D* subscriber without a post on DBSTalk.

Some of you guys REALLY need to lighten up on new posters!

12. carl6

carl6 Moderator Staff Member DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    I agree ajb is welcome here, and is welcome to express his opinion.

I think what some people are trying to say, and I agree with this, is that you usually can accomplish a lot more by working with someone than by becoming upset and demanding things. No one here, except ajb, was present when he had his interface with the installer, so we don't know what happened (good or bad) or how he actually presented himself to the installer.

Let's give him the benefit of the doubt, and hope that future dealings with both DirecTV, and local installers, are more satisfactory than his initial experience.

Carl

13. chris0

chris0 Godfather

Jun 25, 2007
    I agree with most of the others. Sounds to me like the op really needs to lighten up on people who are just trying to do their job and aren't necessarily responsible for the screw-ups of others.

I worked as a manager for a large home improvement chain and while I'd do what I could to make it right for those who "snap" and "rip new ones", I'd definitely go the extra few miles for the nice ones.

To quote George Costanza, "we're living in a society here!"

14. bcrab

bcrab Legend

Mar 6, 2007
    Thats fine and dandy but the installer actually needs to at least try and do his job. Not make up excuses and bail when you have your back turned.

15. AlbertZeroK

AlbertZeroK Icon

Jan 28, 2006
    For those of you who think that the customer has the right to yell at you, I feel bad for you and the training you receive. Having worked many years in a service industry both in the field and on the phone, I can tell you one thing, you will get yelled at and there is nothing you can do about it. But you should be trained how to deal with irate customers. In short, if you can't calm a customer down in order to speak to them, you have no business working in a service industry.

That being said, this guy was definitely a dirt bag - is that fair to the customer?

16. VeniceDre

VeniceDre Hall Of Fame

Aug 16, 2006
    In my area DirecTV has a huge problem on their hands. ConnecTV handles the installs for them... If you are lucky to have a tech show up in "their" van you should be in good shape. Otherwise, you end up with a sub-contractor in a "hoopty" pick-up who might not know English all too well.

Just the other day I had two neighbors next to each other having DirecTV installed... The one on the left had a ConnecTV van with a nice clean gentleman up on the roof installing a Slimline. the one on the right, my new neighbor, had a beat up pickup outside his home.

I walked into my new neighbor's home and asked how his install was going... He said fine, then I noticed the R15 box and his HDTV. "You getting HD?" I asked, "yes" was his reply... I then informed him that the R15 was a SD box, and when we looked up on the roof the tech was installing a basic dish.

The work order clearly stated HD-DVR... The tech's reply was that he didn't have any with him, or the dish...

Needless to say the next day a clean ConnecTV van was outside his home, and he got the proper equipment. :D

I worry that we will see more horror stories of bad installs in the coming months due to DirecTV quickly hiring knucklehead subs since they may get overwhelmed by new HD subscribers once D10 goes online.

17. TigersFanJJ

TigersFanJJ Hall Of Fame

Feb 17, 2006
    I treat my customers with respect and expect the same. If the customer expresses their right to "go off," I will express my right to refuse service.

No need to feel bad for me. The thousands of customers I have made happy more than make up for the few that I have left angry.

I take pride in and love what I do for a living. However, that doesn't make me a slave to anyone.

18. gully_foyle

gully_foyle Hall Of Fame

Jan 18, 2007
    Los Angeles
    The thing that's being missed here is that problems of this sort (no-show, late or mis-equipped installers) are almost always the fault of management. Not necessarily D*, except that they may employ some shabby operations in places, but it may be that the local service company can't schedule worth beans, or lies to D* about their capabilities, or simply can't adjust when things take longer.

If the dispatchers could keep the customer in the loop, say by calling the guy in the 8-12 window, at 9am, and saying that things are backed up and it will be 12-4, it would help a lot. He may not be happy with the change, but he'll be happier than if you tell him that at noon after he's been waiting for 4 hours.

And yes, I know the contractor-based model makes things more complicated, but customer's attitudes are often set before the installer ever shows. Like customers, installers should place the blame where it belongs, which is usually back at the front office.

19. AlbertZeroK

AlbertZeroK Icon

Jan 28, 2006
    That is very true. When DirecTV can't give realistic expectations to a customer, the installer is off on the bad foot when he can't deliver what is promised to the customer. And dispatchers should be calling the customers to bump them, not the installers. Heck, one stay at home mom could easily handle all the dispatching for little of no cost to a company.

The problem is simple, DirecTV pays so little that there are often little choice in companies who will do work for them. DirecTV can't afford to fire some of the lesser performing companies, because nobody else will do the work.

20. JeffBowser

JeffBowser blah blah blah

Dec 21, 2006
    I like the way the OP signed up for this forum to make his rant, and then vanished. I would tend to think, with that fact and without any more info than I have in this thread, the problem was equal on both sides.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.