1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Disconnecting my DTV service

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by NIH, Dec 28, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NIH

NIH New Member

Sep 29, 2007
    I have been a Directv subscriber for almost a year now and hate it, my contract ends at the beginning of March. What kinds of fees should I expect for disconnecting now?

2. RAD

RAD Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2002
    Dripping...
    Call D* and just ask them, doesn't matter what we say here it's what they're going to say that counts. And if you tell them why you hate D* and are thinking of cancelling maybe they could do something to correct the problem.

3. Greg Alsobrook

Greg Alsobrook Lifetime Achiever

Apr 1, 2007
    what problems are you experiencing?

also.. i believe the early termination fee is a pro rated amount... so it shouldn't be too much if your contract is almost up...

4. NIH

NIH New Member

Sep 29, 2007
    Well for one, I only get about two of my local news channels. For whatever reason they switched one of my Lafayette news channels to a Jackson station. DTV also does not have Cox Sports Television, the Louisiana sports channel. The signal also goes out for almost any storm we have. It's rare that the signal is not affected by a storm. I also have not liked my run ins with their customer service. Bottomline, I liked Cox a lot better and want to switch back to them. If any of you have been in my situation before, how much did you have to pay for disconnecting early?

5. curt8403

curt8403 Hall Of Fame

Dec 27, 2007
    Yes, I do think it is prorated, and should be the old rate of 12.50 per month
    Just a guess

6. spartanstew

spartanstew Dry as a bone

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas

Wasn't your contract 2 years? If so, your termination fee might be more than you think. I thought the fee was about $20 per month, so if it does end in March, it might cost you $60 or so. If it's not for another year, it'll cost you closer to $300.

7. NIH

NIH New Member

Sep 29, 2007
    Nope, my contract was for one year.

8. tfederov

tfederov Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2005
    I think DVRs go for 2 years, non-DVRs are 1 year.

9. say-what

say-what Active Member

Dec 14, 2006
    New Orleans
    Hey NIH, sorry to hear you're having problems.

I'd suspect you need your dish adjusted. I only lose the signal with big storms - dark, high cloud tops to my SW - and then it's not that long. Not sure what to say about the locals, as that's all determined by which stations they have carriage agreements with. Some that are owned by larger conglomerates have been difficult.

I think it's like $20 per remaining month to disconnect now. If you got HD equipment or a dvr, there was an initial 2 year commitment. You also have to return the boxes.

10. NIH

NIH New Member

Sep 29, 2007
    Thanks for the info, S-W. If the fee is $20 a month I can definetly handle that and will be switching back to Cox very soon. I would have switched back to Cox a long time ago if I had known the disconnecting fee was that low. I had heard it was much higher than that and I really didn't want to bite the bullet on a large fee.

11. Gonesouth

Gonesouth Legend

Dec 26, 2007
    We are neighbors. The reason they do not carry the Lake Charles local is they do not have the room on the Satellite. There sister station is in Jackson and they let them broadcast as our local DMA.

No they do not carry Cox. I do not miss it. I get to see all the sports. I do miss some of the Lafayette HS games or ULL games. If I really want to see them I go.

Your dish is out of allignment and needs to be fixed. During the real heavy storms (buckets of water) the signal goes out. Usually does not last long.

I am not trying to convince you to stay with D* but just wanted to point out your issues. I have been with them a long time and they have always been good to me and addressed all my issues. The big problem in our area is the local install group.

Have a great New Year and geaux Tigers!:icon_bb:

12. NIH

NIH New Member

Sep 29, 2007
    I don't get to see all sports, I don't get to see any Hornets games, LSU baseball or football replays, Saints shows & press conferences, etc. I am missing a lot of my local sports programming w/o CST. I'm not dumping Directv just because they don't have CST, so far my whole year with them has not been good at all.

13. say-what

say-what Active Member

Dec 14, 2006
    New Orleans
    I know they changed the disconnect fee recently and wasn't sure if they kept the old fees for the old contracts. It certainly used to be 12.50 and that's what it might be for NIH.

14. DawgLink

DawgLink Woof Woof Woof

Nov 5, 2006
    Washington, DC
    NIH, sorry to hear about the problems.

My dish the first few months was excellent with storms but slowly has been getting worse when it rains. I am not having any major problems at the moment but may call for a re-alignment soon as any semi-consistent rain flickers the dish pretty badly

As for missing Cox Sports channel, I couldn't agree more. I wish I could see some Hornets games, etc....on the Cox channel that is.

Missing LSU games though....well, I don't mind missing those :lol:

15. Gonesouth

Gonesouth Legend

Dec 26, 2007
    I understand.

I am a Sports fan but not much with the Saints or Hornets. I am a transplant from the north.

I wish we had a better NBC channel besides Jackson, MS. Lake Charles has approved D* getting their signal, now it is up to D*.

Glad the sun is out today and have a great New Year.

16. Satsince1978

Satsince1978 Mentor

Jun 28, 2007
    Try to work this one both ways! See if Cox will make you a deal to get you back! Maybe they can offset the cancelation fee!

17. DawgLink

DawgLink Woof Woof Woof

Nov 5, 2006
    Washington, DC
    Cox (in my experience) is without doubt the worst-run company to ever set foot in the United States

I hate them with a deep, deep passion after years and years of terrible service....I finally opened my eyes last year and changed and am SO HAPPY I did

18. Greg Alsobrook

Greg Alsobrook Lifetime Achiever

Apr 1, 2007
    hmm...i didn't know Time Warner and Comcast had that good of competition...

19. jpl

jpl Hall Of Fame

Jul 9, 2006
    For what it's worth, the early termination fee was $12.50 per month remaining on contract when I cancelled service back in April. As for the contracts, SD STBs give you a one-year contract, but all other devices (HD receivers, and DVRs - both SD and HD) give you a 2-year contract. Call them and find out how much is left on your contract. BTW, if something that the CSR tells you doesn't sound kosher, then do what I did - e-mail them. For example, one CSR was adamant when he told me that I owned my equipment. I knew darn well that it was leased. So I e-mailed them - they were very responsive, and confirmed that I was correct. It also gives you evidence should you get into a conflict with them - I still have all my e-mails from them should they ever come back to me with 'we didn't tell you that.'

20. loudo

loudo Well-Known Member

Mar 24, 2005
    Central Maine
    According to the DirecTV web site it currently is 18 months for SD equipment and 24 months for HD equipment.
    Programming Commitment

• You agree to pay for 18 consecutive months (for standard receivers) or 24 consecutive months (for advanced receivers) of a $29.99/mo. or above programming package.
    • You agree to pay a $4.99/mo. lease fee for your second and each additional receiver.
    • If you do not fulfill your Programming Commitment, DIRECTV may charge you a fee of up to $360 for standard equipment or $480 for advanced receivers.
    http://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/global/contentPage.jsp?assetId=1100106

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.