1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Discounted AM21

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by scarylibrary23, Jul 20, 2010.

1. scarylibrary23

scarylibrary23 Legend

Jul 31, 2008
    Anyone think it is possible to get a discount on the am21 it i call them? or has anyone had any luck. Or maybe u have one u can sell me.

2. joshjr

joshjr Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Aug 2, 2008
    NE Oklahoma
    Yeah. Especially if D* does not offer your locals or offers some but not all. Just call and say I need OTA to get a full compliment of locals and my reciever does not have OTA tuners. Let them know you have read that some are getting AM21's for free and you want to know if you can get one as well.

3. CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
  4. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    Abt has them for $59 and free shipping.
    http://www.abt.com/product/36830/DIRECTV-AM21.html

DirecTV charges $50 and $20 for shipping.

5. mdavej

mdavej Hall Of Fame

Jan 30, 2007
    Got mine on ebay for $35 shipped. Took a while to find a deal like that though. I had no luck convincing D* to give me one, but it's worth a shot.

6. killerko

killerko Cool Member

Jul 19, 2008
    Ive requested & received two free ones. Both times as an addition to hr21 upgrades & I do get my locals from D. I use them for the adjacent market which is about as close as my own dma.

7. DarinC

DarinC Hall Of Fame

Aug 31, 2004
    Sure, but that's hardly an apples to apples comparison. That's a dual tuner ATSC and QAM unit, which can be networked and shared by all of your PCs. They are really nice units. You can get single tuner ATSC usb tuners for as little as $25, so you could easily attach two of those to a PC for $50.

But yeah, the AM21s are owned, not leased, so I'd shop ebay if you wanted to save money.

8. jamieh1

jamieh1 Hall Of Fame

May 1, 2003
    I just called Directv and said I need a AM21 , didnt ask for it free. Just said I had a HR21 and needed a tuner, he sent me one out free of charge.

When I call I always at the prompt "What is your reason for calling" I say cancel service, so I can bypass the tier 1 csr's.
    When the guy answered I said I need a tuner for my HR21. He never said a price. He set let check on that, came back and said it will ship out free of charge you'll have in 3 days.

9. Homebrew101

Homebrew101 Legend

Jul 12, 2006
    as I've had to upgrade boxes to newer boxes not containing built-in tuners, both times I was charged $50 for the AM-21 but then issued offsetting five $10 monthly credits (the first time) and a single $50 credit the 2nd time

my reason was that they do not offer all of my locals yet - half are not even carried in SD and they are the ones that installed my antennae initially to lure me to D* from cable that carried locals