1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Disgruntled DirecTV subs to get $5M

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by Nick, Dec 18, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nick

Nick Retired, part-time PITA DBSTalk Club

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    PAHRUMP VALLEY TIMES

By KEN RITTER - THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

LAS VEGAS - DirecTV Inc. has promised to reimburse unhappy customers and to make its advertised offers clearer, according to a settlement the satellite broadcaster reached Monday with 22 states over deceptive marketing complaints. Montana is among the states.

The California-based company admitted no wrongdoing in agreeing to repay Nevada and 21 other states $5 million for the costs of a task force that has tracked consumer complaints about DirecTV contract fees and small print provisions since 2000...

Full story

2. thebigjp

thebigjp the 337's finest DBSTalk Gold Club

Jan 21, 2003
    boy do we live in a sue happy world or what!

3. Richard King

Richard King Hall Of Fame

Mar 25, 2002
    I guess states have to go after funding where they can these days. :rolleyes:

4. midnight75

midnight75 Legend

Jun 25, 2004
    No kidding! It's no wonder customers are as out of control these days as they are, companies continue to bow down to them & kiss their butts, even when the customers act like jerks! Makes me happy that my customer service days are over with & I no longer have to deal with their stupidity.

5. Smthkd

Smthkd Icon

Sep 1, 2004
    And to think, people who sue makes its worse for us because our rates go up to cover the cost for paying them the settlement!

6. Newshawk

Newshawk Hall Of Fame

Sep 3, 2004
    Broken...
    because only a fraction of the $5 million is going to end up in the hands of D* subscribers.

This is a shakedown, pure and simple, and they went after D* because they are perceived as having the "bigger pockets". The same set of charges could be levelled against E*, or Comcrap, or any of the other cable cos.

7. durl

durl Hall Of Fame

Mar 27, 2003
    Exactly. People will sue for just about anything these days, and lawyers and judges are more than willing to go along. (Lots of money to be made, you know.)

Some people are more than happy to sue regardless of how it puts their stupidity on parade. Pretty soon commercials will feature full-screen disclaimers just to protect the advertiser from frivolous lawsuits.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.