1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dish 1000 Q's

Discussion in 'DISH™ High Definition Discussion' started by bronsonlewis, Feb 9, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Feb 9, 2006 #1 of 15
    bronsonlewis

bronsonlewis Cool Member

Feb 9, 2006
    Hello guys, I have a question. I'm getting a Vip211 and a Dish 1000 and live in the Oklahoma City area. Am I good to go when they launch our locals in HD? Am I going to require anything else? Any help is appreciated :D

2. Feb 9, 2006 #2 of 15
    Rogueone

Rogueone Hall Of Fame

Jan 29, 2004
    that should cover ya pretty well. For most of the country (excludes North East and some parts in the south) the D1000 covers all the sats dish wants you to see for normal channels. So unless you want international or latino, that should do ya. hopefully the 1000 picks up 129 with enough signal you don't get a lot of rain fade. some have not had the best luck with signal strength from 129, but it's more a 129 issue than a D1000 issue from what i've read.

3. Mikey

Mikey Hall Of Fame

Oct 26, 2004
    I'm in the OKC area, with a Dish 1000. That dish will get you everything you need. If you have more than two receivers, they will need to install a switch in addition to the dish. I had the Dish 1000 installed in December, and (as you know) there hasn't been measureable rain since then. There has been a couple inches of snow, and the dish wasn't affected. I have had no dropouts whatsoever since the new dish was installed.

If you have a Dish 500 now, they can put the new dish in the same mounting bracket as that one. Only the mast and dish need to be replaced. i.e. No new holes in your roof or wall.

Of course, OTA will get you more digital channels than Dish will provide, for the forseeable future. Dish will only provide digital signals for NBC, CBS, ABC and (if Sinclair allows it; they don't allow Cox Cable) FOX in OKC. With the flat terrain around central OK, an indoor or attic mount antenna will pull in 10 digital stations, and the Vip211 is (so far) a good OTA receiver.

4. bronsonlewis

bronsonlewis Cool Member

Feb 9, 2006
    Thanks for the info. I live in shawnee, which is about 36 miles from the furthest station tower. I'd have to get a pretty big outdoor antenna to pick up the OTA signals. At least thats what antennaweb states. I don't mind, I just wish I lived a little closer so an attic mount would work. Antennaweb states I'm in the "Blue" zone on the chart, So I was thinking of stopping by Lowe's and getting the channel master 3018 for about 60 bucks, which says it will do the job. I can hook that directly into the Vip211 right?

5. Rogueone

Rogueone Hall Of Fame

Jan 29, 2004
    yup, and get a signal booster just in case :) there is an OTA input on the back of the 211

6. MusicDan

MusicDan Cool Member

Feb 10, 2006
    I dare say you are wrong about OTA deliverying more HD channels. Dish minimum HD package now provides 23 HD channels with a Dish 1000, and of course a Mpeg-4 receiver.

7. Mikey

Mikey Hall Of Fame

Oct 26, 2004
    Okay, more LOCAL digital channels than Dish will provide... . :) But hey, counting subchannels now, the OKC digital market is up to 15 that I can pull in with the vip211 receiver.

8. Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Roving Reporter Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    Right now I can get:

4.1 -> PBS SD
    4.2 -> PBS HD (active from 8p-11pm every night)
    4.3 -> PBS Kids SD
    4.4 -> PBS Educational SD (off from 8p-11pm every night)
    4.5 -> PBS News SD (off from 8p-11pm every night)
    5.1 -> CBS HD
    5.2 -> Local WRAL Newschannel
    5.3,5.4 -> Active during the NCAA to simulcast all the basketball games in SD!
    11.1 -> ABC HD
    11.2 -> ABC SD
    11.3 -> Haven't figured it out yet, but it is SD programming different than the other ABC
    17.1 -> NBC HD
    17.2 -> NBC SD
    17.3 -> NBC Weather channel
    22.1 -> WB HD
    28.1 -> UPN SD
    30.0 -> Home shopping SD
    40.1 -> Various spanish programming in SD
    40.2 -> More espanol in SD
    47.1 -> i SD (used to be PAX)
    47.2 -> Sort of a west-coast i/PAX SD
    47.3 -> Worship SD
    47.4 -> I forget, but more religious programming in SD
    50.1 -> FOX HD
    50.2 -> FOX SD
    50.3 -> Local WRAL Weather channel SD

Depending on how you want to count the above... that's as many as 27 local digital channels, with 6 of them in HD. That's a lot of free OTA stuff!

9. Fifty Caliber

Fifty Caliber Banned User

Jan 4, 2006
    FWIW, Latino packages do not require anything other than Dish 500 pointed at 110 and 119.

10. Intrel

Intrel New Member

Feb 16, 2006
    My first post on here woohoo :)

I ordered the gold pack and the 622 from dish, my install date is 2/21.. but I just got the 622 in the mail, not being the paitent type, I hooked it up and it recieved everything fine, so I called dish to activate the reciever and my HD programming package, after a loooong wait, she comes back on and says that I cant do it myself, the installer needs to upgrade my superdish to a dish 1000 ...
    I told her.. well then it would seem the "super" dish isnt so super afterall then is it.. she says no, I guess not...
    Question for Y'all.. how come my superdish isnt so super? and why is the 1000 dish required to get HD programming, even though the "super" dish says HDTV right on the front?
    Thanks.

11. steelhorse

steelhorse Legend

Apr 27, 2004

I think it has to do with getting a dish to pick up 129. I am in Maryland and also set my 622 up yesterday evening. When I called I got the same story. I told them that I didn't believe I could get 129 where I live. She checked, and then came back and dropped the 1000 install. Then turned it on. Works great!

12. Rogueone

Rogueone Hall Of Fame

Jan 29, 2004
    Intrel, you likely are not in a 129 area either. check the map (colored areas can't see 129 according to dish)

Do you have a second dish pointed at 61.5? If not, you can not get "all" HD programming, like Voom, which you'll be paying for. Have them kill the 1000 instal, and see if they can then activate the rcvr then setup an install for a 61.5 dish and the switches/cabling needed for that ;)

And while that's happening, either put up an OTA antenna or call a professional antenna installer (avsforums is a good place to ask about installers near you). With a 622, until HD locals are in, you'll need the OTA antenna to get your local HD content, then once HD locals are up, you'll have 3 sources of HD locals (2 from sat, 1 from OTA) meaning potential to view/record 3 HD network feeds at one time :)

oh, and

:welcome_s

13. Intrel

Intrel New Member

Feb 16, 2006
    Thanks Rogue :)

I did check the map, and I'm in the white area (west of Tallahasee) so maybe i'll be "in"
    I'll just have to wait and see what the installer comes up with.
    I cant even get the OTA channels until the thing is activated (I think) it reiceves 3 channels and they are "locked" but I cant tune them in with the reciever. so no OTA olympics in HD for me it seems, my install date is 2/21 :((

14. Rogueone

Rogueone Hall Of Fame

Jan 29, 2004
    call back. try techsupport. if you have to, ask if they could cancel the install, activate, then reorder the 1000 install or something like that. ask for a supervisor. just seems goofy they can't activate a receiver because the installation isn't done. so what. ugh, silly Dish :)

oh, call, pretend your the installer, get the 622 working,then say there are problems with the other gear you brought, you'll need to come back again anyway haha what are the chances that would work? hahaha "I'm the cable guy" ! muuuhhaahahaa

15. trouble

trouble New Member

Feb 14, 2006
    Make sure that your tv is where you want it and tell the tech that's where you want the receiver.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.