1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dish 2013 Second Quarter Results

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by RAD, Aug 6, 2013.

1. RAD

RAD Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2002
    Dripping...
    From http://dish.client.shareholder.com/releasedetail.cfm?ReleaseID=782936

So even with Hopper with Sling Dish continued to lose customers and money, what will it take to turn them around?

2. damondlt

damondlt New Member

Feb 27, 2006
    Newfoundland...
    Dish Lost 11 million dollars?

3. RAD

RAD Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2002
    Dripping...
    They say "Net income attributable to DISH Network in the quarter was impacted by the $438 million impairment of two of the three satellites acquired through the TerreStar and DBSD transactions.".

4. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    It will take some greater effort (expense) at customer retention.

I also suspect that the SAC is hurting them on the Hopper setups. DISH's SAC ($880) jumped 10% over last year and is now just $8 less than DIRECTV's.

As DIRECTV's ARPU edges ever closer to $100, DISH will likely pick up a few more refugees with their $81 ARPU.

5. RAD

RAD Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2002
    Dripping...
    If price was the biggest driver I would have thought that Dish would have a larger customer base by now since they've always been cheaper then DIRECTV.

1 person likes this.
  6. damondlt

damondlt New Member

Feb 27, 2006
    Newfoundland...
    Cheaper isn't always better. If it was Dish would have 20 Million customers and Directv would have 14 million.

For the peanuts I would save with Dish, it isn't worth no RSNs or HD premiums to me.

7. RAD

RAD Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2002
    Dripping...
    Agreeded. But for a few years Dish had more HD channels then DIRECTV, their HD DVR's have won a number of awards plus they've had the lower cost programming packages. So what will it take for DISH to come up with a winning plan to increase subs? Will it be Charlies plan to become a wireless provider or will the costs to do it right be too much for his credit line? Does he need to push for a merger with DIRECTV so the combined companies can have more leverage with the content providers so he can offer the all the channels people want at the lowest cost?

8. damondlt

damondlt New Member

Feb 27, 2006
    Newfoundland...
    I think he pushes for a merger with Directv.
    That seems to be safer then Charlie buying T Mobile, a company that many already have a sour taste over.

9. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    At least that one has the support of the potential merger partner.

DISH loses 78k customers, DirecTV loses 84k. The huge hit from buying TerreStar and DBSD didn't help the bottom line for the quarter. But they are still in business.