1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dish 311 & 111 Receiver Information

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by Scott Greczkowski, Jul 11, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Scott Greczkowski

Scott Greczkowski Banned User

Mar 21, 2002
    Soon Dish Network will be replacing the Dish 301 receiver with a new model known as the 311. The 311 is just like the 301 but it adds a bunch of new features as well.

DBSTalk.COM has obtained some details of some of the new features of the 311.

- 2-day Cached EPG for Fast Access

( Instantaneous extended program information: no more waiting for program information to download from the satellite, info is stored in the receiver's memory for instant retrieval. Dish311's EPG will store up to 48 hours of information with quick access. When the unit is placed in standby, the EPG will update every four hours)

- Alpha Search

(Alpha Search is accessed in two ways: 1) using the # key
    (like DishPVR 501/508 and DishPVR 721). The current program's title will be filled in: you can use that to search or clear it and type in another name. Default is "Search by Title". 2) By going to Menu, Themes & Search, then Search. The keywords can be entered with your remote control alpha-numeric keys (cell phonestyle) or using the right/left/up/down blue arrow buttons and Select to access the on-screen keyboard)

- Hide Locked Channels

( Separate locks for adult and PPV channels. Using "Hide Locked" you can hide all locked channels within the EPG, browse, direct channel entry, channel up/down and any searches. The system must be locked to activate any locks chosen)

- Caller ID on the 301 will be Enabled by Default

- Wireless Phone Jack in Phone Setup

- Extended Info from Timer Management Screen

- 3 Prong Power Cord

- NO Removable Smart Card

( The smart card technology has been "embedded" or built into the receiver. Resets of the receiver can be done by pressing and
    holding the front panel Power button for approximately five seconds or unplugging the AC power cord and plugging it back in )

Sounds to me like a nice upgrade of the 301, and will be a great base receiver for people not looking for a lot of bells and whistles but are looking for something more then the Dish 111

Whats a Dish 111 you may ask?

Its one of the most basic receivers ever made by Dish Network, it has NO AV or S-VIDEO outputs on it (It only outputs to Channel 3 or Channel 4)

It has no Dolby Digital Outputs, nor does it have a removable smartcard.

But it does have a IR Blaster which I believe can control your VCR, it also has a 3 prong power cord to help ground your system better. This system is the most basic system that will be available.

My thanks to my sources who sent me this information to share with our members here at DBSTalk.COM!

2. gcutler

gcutler Hall Of Fame

Mar 23, 2002
    Sounds interesting...Wonder what the prices are??? For the Kids room or such the 111 sounds like a great reciever (that is until your kids get into "Dolby Digital"), but hopefully a 6 year old won't care, yet!

3. Steve Mehs

Steve Mehs Hall Of Fame

Mar 21, 2002
    If the 111 is anything over $50 it's overpriced. I never thought there would be another satellite receiver made with no svideo out, let alone no RCAs. I guess it would be a great receiver for those on a very tight budget or the elderly who have older tv's and have no need for the svhs and rca outs. But the 111 makes my old model 2700 look like the Coupe Deville of Dish receivers.

4. Big Bob

Big Bob Godfather

May 13, 2002
    Good thing "the elderly" will have that easy to use remote as well.

;)

5. Scott Greczkowski

Scott Greczkowski Banned User

Mar 21, 2002
    Oh boy here we go again. :icon_lol:

6. Claude Greiner

Claude Greiner Banned User

Apr 24, 2002
    Scott,

Tell me more about this wireless phone jack option in the setup menu's

I saw the same thing on a standard 301 the other day :)

7. boba

boba Hall Of Fame

May 23, 2003
    Seeing RCA has the DRD435 (I think) it has Dolby digital out, 2 sets of A/V, caller ID, picture in guide and 3 days of programming and I can sell it at $49.95. I would say DISH is still a couple model years behind the times. And the 111 and 311 haven't reached the market place yet. How many more months will we have to wait before they get working software in these basic receivers?

8. gcutler

gcutler Hall Of Fame

Mar 23, 2002
    Exactly, $49.99 is the most that should be paid. I wonder how much they could save without the event timer/IR Blaster. But I think that many people would want that feature, and I believe the most basic D* systems include that.

9. Jacob S

Jacob S Hall Of Fame

Apr 14, 2002
    Just as I had predicted, the 311 is going to replace the 301. When I first heard about the 311 coming out I knew it was the replacement for the 301.

I wonder if they are dropping the 311 price lower than the current 301 and if so then how much cheaper the 111 would be. Seeing that they are coming out with the 111 and it going to be cheaper they will probably keep the 311 at a $99 retail price and I am expecting the 111 at a $60-75 price level, perhaps $59 or $69. I would not expect it to be too much cheaper or they would not sell many 311's in which would be the main receiver they would want to push.

This reminds me of the 3700/2700 ordeal where one was cheaper than the other, only the 3700 was qualified for some promotions and if you get the second receiver free you got the 2700, not the 3700. I hated having to sell a second receiver that seemed cheaper and different than the first because it was not so similar and it also had a cheaper remote with it too.

Perhaps the receivers will get cheap enough to where they will replace the receivers in the future instead of doing card swaps.

10. Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz Day Sleeper DBSTalk Club

Mar 23, 2002
    Sacramento, CA
    It would be interesting to see if Dish will accept upgrades from the 301 to 311. My mom has been fustrated because of the guide.

It would also nice to see this implemented in the 50x series of receivers.

11. rtt2

rtt2 Legend

Jan 26, 2003
    I wonder if they are going to wait until there is a card swap before releasing these new receivers. With the smart card now built in on these new guys E* might wait until the old receivers get their new Dish 500 cards before releasing these new products on the market.

12. Tusk

Tusk Back in the Game DBSTalk Gold Club

Nov 14, 2002
    I knew those folks in development were making major technological breakthroughs, but I never would have dreamed of this. I hope they patent it before someone steals this technology. !rolling

Now Charlie has D* on the run!

13. Jacob S

Jacob S Hall Of Fame

Apr 14, 2002
    They are not going to be able to add all the features to the 301 that they have on the 311 because the 311 is getting additional features and/or better functionality due to having more memory.

Also its not a matter of getting all of the old cards swapped for new ones on waiting for the 111 and 311 to come out, but a matter of depleting the 301 stock first since the embedded chip will more than likely be the same chip found on the current Dish 500 smart cards in the receivers you buy today.

14. bkwest

bkwest Mentor

Aug 14, 2002
    I'm guessing the embedded smart card chips is something they started doing to keep signal theft down... Thats my first view of that on. I just want DishTIVO damn it!

:p

15. gcutler

gcutler Hall Of Fame

Mar 23, 2002
    Not likely, only prescedent was the upgrading of the DP 7100 to 7200.

Probably best thing to do is buy the 311 and sell the 301 (still a nice reciever, especially for those running a SA TiVo or such and no need for a guide)

16. Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz Day Sleeper DBSTalk Club

Mar 23, 2002
    Sacramento, CA
    I'm on the Digital Home Plan, so the receivers are leased, not owned.

17. gcutler

gcutler Hall Of Fame

Mar 23, 2002
    I would trade in all the recievers to Comcast Cable for like $400, I just want to be listening on speaker phone when you try and explain that to the Dish CSR. :up_to_som

18. bills976

bills976 Godfather/Supporter

Jun 30, 2002
    This is a positive step for Dish. Biggest improvement is the cached EPG... the 301 was ridiculous in terms of time necessary for guide access. The search on a non-pvr is particularly interesting. I wonder how fast this will be.... on the 501/508 this was slow (imo) and even on my Tivo it's slow. That said, this is a really positive step for Dish. The embedded smartcard is a long time coming.

Any word on release dates, Scott?

19. Jacob S

Jacob S Hall Of Fame

Apr 14, 2002
    They should have had enough memory put in the 301's to do this but I guess they were just too cheap to do so and now realizing how they should have done this or the price of memory has dropped, one of the two. Every 2 years they have come out with a new receiver lineup.

20. BobaBird

BobaBird EKB Editor

Mar 30, 2002
    Jacob, I've thought the same thing ever since the channel lineup grew substantially -- to AT60CD!

Why a 111 but not a "411" or "422"?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.