1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DISH 722k

Discussion in 'ViP612/622/722/722K DVR Support Forum' started by Jim148, Oct 19, 2012.

1. Jim148

Jim148 Godfather

Jun 22, 2004
    For the last few days my DISH 722k receiver has to be power cycled in the morning. I haven't called DISH Support yet, but I may tomorrow. If anybody has any suggestions I would like to hear them before I call.

Also, it is in an area where heat shouldn't be a problem, in fact, I have a USB powered laptop cooler underneath powered all of the time.

2. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    how the DVR working/looks if you'll not reboot it ?

3. HDlover

HDlover Godfather

Jul 28, 2006
  4. Jim148

Jim148 Godfather

Jun 22, 2004
    I installed the replacement 722k yesterday afternoon/evening. This morning my wife told me that she had to power cyckle that one, too, in the morning. Should I just give up on the 722k line and move up to something newer or are they just as problem ridden as the 722k series?

5. Henry

Henry Retired Member

Nov 15, 2007
    Pine, CO
    I have a 722k that has been working flawlessly since I got it months and months ago. If the new(er) replacment is doing the same thing, then it could be environmental (heat) or it might be that for some reason it's not updating overnight.

This latter point is a sheer guess on my part since I have no idea what could happen if I didn't let mine update every night. What do you think, P Smith?

6. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    It would reboot by internal watchdog in case of hung-up or will act like broken device.
    The night reboot (I did set it to my other, day time) is a countermeasure against SW bugs, sloppy code. not really something what should be done each night.

7. Henry

Henry Retired Member

Nov 15, 2007
    Pine, CO
    But if you don't update automatically every night, you would end up with an obsolete EPG requiring an update session, wouldn't you?

8. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    Nope.

If you'll monitor EEPG stream [PID 0x0300] you would find: full loading cycle would happen in less then an half hour, new version of the EEPG updating each 4-5-6 hours, a few times per day.
    Adding to that: non-DVR devices getting 44hrs EPG without reboots for months, what usually happen by forced FW updates.

9. Henry

Henry Retired Member

Nov 15, 2007
    Pine, CO
    Thanks, P.

Live and learn. :)

10. CeeWoo

CeeWoo Godfather

Dec 1, 2008
    My first 722k worked great for a year...and then the same problem started a couple months ago. After just a few days, it totally failed and had to be replaced. The replacement has been here since and working well---but today it did it (had to cycle on to get it going this morning)

Sure has me holding my breath at this point :(

11. Ray C@DISH Network

Ray C@DISH Network DISH Representative DISH Representative

Dec 28, 2010
    Please let me know if you continue to have issues with your 722k. Thanks.

12. CeeWoo

CeeWoo Godfather

Dec 1, 2008
    Thanks Ray-I'm staying positive at this point and just hope it was a transient glitch (of course that was my hope on the old one LOL)

13. Rduce

Rduce Legend

May 15, 2008
    I upgraded to a 722K almost 2 years ago and it has been chugging away flawlessly since. Other than some buggy SW updates from time to time. To keep the heat situation down I use this,

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dish-VIP-72...DVRs_Hard_Drive_Recorders&hash=item53e2097c02

They are nice and quiet and keep my temps LOW! Even during this summers heat wave my unit never went above 114 degrees and averaged 96.

14. CeeWoo

CeeWoo Godfather

Dec 1, 2008
    Speaking of temps---mine does seem to be running hot. So I've moved it and would like to monitor the temps for a while. Is there some way to reset those counters, or do I just have to wait for enuf time to pass to see if it's improving?

And if that's the case, how long before more current readings should be up?

15. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    there was some inconsistent observations ... so practically you are on your own

16. CeeWoo

CeeWoo Godfather

Dec 1, 2008
    Thanks...I'll just let some time pass then. It's all good

17. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    I recall it require a week to see serious change because it's based on history (hours online ?) and modulus of changes today; other way is too technical: remove NVRAM (24LC256 ?) and erase a few bytes where the temp values storing.

18. CeeWoo

CeeWoo Godfather

Dec 1, 2008
    Too techy for me...I'll just wait a week or so

thanks-that gives me an idea how long it might take

19. CeeWoo

CeeWoo Godfather

Dec 1, 2008
    It's been 6 days now since I moved my receiver. The low temp move a lot while it was disconnected during the move and it's still showing that same temp...so I'm 99% certain that the counter has yet to reset (and the previous HI Temp is the same also). But the average temp has dropped 3 degrees (I thought it would be more). Sometime in the next couple days I expect to see all 3 readings change. And if it's not what I want, I think I have a different location that may be better

could be interesting :)

20. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    keep us posting ... perhaps each DVR [FW] has own settings related to intervals of updating the temperature's counters