1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Dish Alignment Issue or Bad LNB?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by dpmhemi, Sep 10, 2012.

1. dpmhemi

dpmhemi New Member

Jun 26, 2010
    For about a week now I haven't been able to catch some of my local channels and a few national channels. On these channels I get the "Searching for signal on Satellite (771)" message. The problem appears to be with the odd transponders on satellite 119 and 103. I get 0% signal for these while the even transponders I get 95 to 100%. On the test channels 9508 103 A odd, 9510 103 B odd and 9513 119 odd i get the same searching for signal message. The other test channels say "correct HD dish setup".
    I called Directv and they are unable to send a service tech out until 10/6/12. My locals are the channels I watch most often.
    Wondering if I have an alignment issue or a bad LNB.
    Hurricane Isaac did past right over me 2 weeks ago but I was recieving these channels right after it passed.

2. carl6

carl6 Moderator

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    Tell us more about your system- regular or SWM LNB, how many receivers/DVR's, how they are wired, multiswitch or not, and is the problem the same on all receivers?

If you have a non-SWM LNB (4 coax coming from it) and those 4 coax go to a multiswitch, then one of the 4 coax or associated connectors is most likely your problem (13V, 22KHz input on the multiswitch).

3. dpmhemi

dpmhemi New Member

Jun 26, 2010
    Slimline SWM dish, 5 LNB I think it is called even though it has 3 round devices on the end. I have 6 total receivers and they all have the same problem. I have 2 HD receivers, 1 Standard Def Receiver and 3 HD DVR's. One of the DVR's are set to 1 tuner only since my setup can only support 8 total tuners. I have a power supply for the SWM dish located behind the DVR in my living room. I have 1 cable coming from dish to a splitter or multiswitch if thats what its called and a seperate cable from it to each receiver.
    When I called Directv yesterday they had me do several things to each of my receivers and they had me check test channels for 101 odd and even and 99B odd and even which were fine. I noticed today that there are test channels for 103 and 119 which are the satellites I having issues with.

4. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    I see a new LNB in your future (unless your power inserter is at Death's door). None of the discussion of switching voltages and tones applies in a SWMLine system.

5. dpmhemi

dpmhemi New Member

Jun 26, 2010
    Ok Thanks for the replies. I kinda doubted the misalignment since all the rest of the transponders on all satellites have good signals and these have 0%.
    So the power supply located behind the living room receiver could also be the culprit?
    Is there a way to tell which one it is?
    They are giving me a month's credit on my account since it is taking so long to get a tech to my house, I wouldn't mind spending that on a new part and replacing myself so I can get my locals back.

6. carl6

carl6 Moderator

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    If you have not done so yet, unplug the power supply for the dish, wait a few minutes, then power it up again and see if it makes a difference. However, the highest probability is the LNB assembly is bad given the type of system you have and the symptoms.

http://www.solidsignal.com/pview.as...In-Multiswitch-(SL5SWM)&c=DIRECTV Dishes&sku= is what you would need to buy, but I would wait for the service call myself.

7. studechip

studechip Godfather

Apr 16, 2012
    If you are unplugging the power inserter, shouldn't you do the same for all receivers/dvrs? Aren't they supposed to be last in the power up sequence?

8. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    Mediterranea...
    Only if you need to reboot DVRs/recvrs; treat the power inserter jacking as possible power outage - predictable case.

9. coolman302003

coolman302003 2014 NBA CHAMPIONS!

Jun 2, 2008
    Southeast
    Might want to see if they will also install a SWM-16 for you when they come out so you could use both tuners on that DVR.

10. dpmhemi

dpmhemi New Member

Jun 26, 2010
    Tried unplugging and waiting then plugging the power supply back in. Still no locals.
    I'll ask for the SWM-16 when the tech comes.
    Thanks for the replies.

11. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    A SWM16 will require a different LNB so you should be able to nail all the likely suspects in one swell foop.

12. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    Mediterranea...
    Isn't "One fell swoop" ?

13. studechip

studechip Godfather

Apr 16, 2012
    I think the hound was making a joke. I'm not sure though.