1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dish and Directv in same home (questions)

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by Jason Whiddon, Aug 13, 2013.

1. Jason Whiddon

Jason Whiddon Hall Of Fame

Aug 17, 2006
    Im looking at adding a Genie install to my Hopper/Sling install. In my living room there is a closet where all the coax feeds from each room come together. The dish lines are dropped in there from the attic (come outside from node), and feed the living room jack and a bedroom jack. I am guessing the Directv installer could just bypass this, and drop the line from his dish from the attic down to the jack where the Dish feed is behind my tv stand.

Questions are, what is the estimated cost on the wall fish, because I read its "Custom Work". Also, is this something I need to tell Directv when I call in to setup the appointment or will the installer just figure it out when he gets there?

The goal is to have a Hopper and Genie in the living room tv stand.

2. JohnBoy

JohnBoy New Member

Sep 8, 2011
    Jason whats up ,Fonzi-Baby from HDJ here.

I recently got a Genie HR44 and 3 mini's C41-100 to watch my NFL games and loving it thus far.

How is the Dish and Directv comparison picture quality wise on your VT50 since you have both services?

3. Jason Whiddon

Aug 17, 2006
    Hey man!!!

Ive had both back and forth, my opinion is Directv offers slightly better PQ. I do like the Hopper better than the HR34 I used to have. I figure if I get both with only the packages I need, I get the best of both worlds and am covered when either fights a channel in negotiations. Id also get ST free this year, so thats nice too lol!

4. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    The installer should be able to whip you up a quick estimate once they have surveyed the site. Estimating sight-unseen is not good practice.

5. gov

gov Legend

Jan 11, 2013
    Did you want to have both services, or are you switching ?

I have had both for a few months now and LOVE it. Wish I had done it years ago. If you want both, make sure the new install doesn't share any wiring with the existing one.

I'm sure it would be an interesting thread as to how a Hopper system and a Genie system would misbehave if connected to each other but you probably don't want to be known as the the first one to try it, LOL.

6. Jason Whiddon

Aug 17, 2006
    Im going to use both!

I called Directv and they are offering one helluva deal.

7. carl6

carl6 Moderator Staff Member DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    When the installer shows up, walk/talk through the entire installation with him before he starts any work. Make sure he knows what is going to stay and what is going to change; what coax runs (if any) he can use and what he needs to leave alone.

If wall fishing or other custom work is needed, he can give you a quote after he looks at the job.

8. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    yeah, give him a tour, talk in details before asking for quote !