1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dish and the hackers

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by negril jam, Oct 19, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. negril jam

negril jam Cool Member

Mar 14, 2004
    I am puzzled why dish is taking so long to crack down on the hackers. direct changed to the p4 stream in april. It was unhackable so no doubt all these thieves headed to echostar.
    why is dish delaying on the card swap? Also why are they allowing things like fta sites proudly claiming if you buy these irds you can get hundreds of encrypted channels from dish
    Aren't these sites illegal!!
    Meanwhile I have to pay $46 per month for latino max.This would be a good topic for the next charlie chat.

2. boba

boba Hall Of Fame

May 23, 2003
    DISH is actively swapping cards to the Nagra 2 system if you look there is a current post about model 2000 receivers being replaced because they are not DISH 500 capable.

3. Cyclone

Cyclone Hall Of Fame/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Jul 1, 2002
    Yeah, the entire DishPlayer 7200 lineup was hit earlier in the year, and the entire Dish 6000 lineup was hit at the end of August.

Sad watching the resale prices on eBay plumet for these models. I was hoping to get back a few dollars on my 6000, but I waited too long.

Seriously, those hacker days are numbered, so don't worry about it.

4. Dulley

Dulley Cool Member

May 23, 2004
    the direct activation system has been hacked and there is a group people activating
    direct cards and receivers wideopen for a fee

5. Mike Richardson

Mike Richardson Banned User

Jun 12, 2003
    DISH should aim to discontinue and remove all receivers that require a smartcard and migrate to receivers that have an internal smartcard which can't be hacked as easily. I think this would really reduce a lot of the problems with people taking the smartcards and writing junk onto them with their PC so they can get free channels.

6. BFG

BFG Hall Of Fame

Jan 23, 2004
    agree. It would be interesting to see their database of how many of each receiver are activated

7. scooper

scooper Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    Youngsville NC
    Really ? - Proof ?

8. Geronimo

Geronimo Native American Potentate DBSTalk Gold Club

Mar 23, 2002
    I would rather not see the proof. We are getting close to a hacker discusiion here. But I do not run things here.

9. dnsc_installer

dnsc_installer Legend

Sep 11, 2004
    The proof will be when they end up in jail or fined just like the rest of them have been or on their way to be.................

10. larrystotler

larrystotler Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Gold Club

Jun 6, 2004
    Sure. I bet that E* is ready and willing to replace 20 million receiver because they have smartcards. Not gonna happen. Anything technological can be cracked or have a work around enabled. It's just a matter of time. The DVD encryption, which was supposed to be sooo good, was cracked by a Norwegian teen in his spare time. Security is just something that makes people feel good when they are more insecure than they realize..... :(

11. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    Sure they are. They will just replace them when they swap out all of the receivers for everyone to get HD. :sure:

E* will take care of hackers in their own time.

JL

12. JerryR

JerryR Legend/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Jun 17, 2004
    As a newbie to DISH, I was pleasantly surprised to see that my 522 and 311 receivers came without a SmartCard - they are internal as you suggest. So, I'd say that is the future - for now anyway - until someone hacks that method.

13. cdp

cdp AllStar

Jun 18, 2004
    I think the cardless receivers are a great idea.My 522 and 811 are cardless.They do have the slot for the card but no card.When dish does finally get a 100% card swap done maybe prices will drop.More subs when the hackers are finished.

14. kenglish

kenglish Icon

Oct 2, 2004
    Salt Lake...
    I wonder if the hacked boxes will even work, with the new Nagravision 2 encryption.

Plus, why would anyone send their credit card info to an offshore, "untraceable" site, where the owners are acknowledged lawbreakers? Duh!

The whole thing sounds like a scam.

15. Slordak

Slordak Hall Of Fame

Dec 17, 2003
    Yeah, except for the fact that my 921 actually uses a smart card, i.e. while it is hidden behind a door, it can be removed and is not "built-in". So essentially, this boat has already left the dock.

Regardless, if the vulnerability is in the encryption system, it doesn't matter whether the smart card is internal or external; it becomes just a cosmetic thing then, rather than a security thing.

16. Dulley

Dulley Cool Member

May 23, 2004
    the P4 P5 are being unlooped and scripts are being wrote to the cards
    the dish yellow Rev 102 eeprom 103 card is hacked -- the hacker are just waiting for the swap out the new 721 and 921 have been hacked

17. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    And the good people here don't care what has been hacked. We pay for our service. As long as legit boxes work the only concern I have with hackers is how much of the money I pay E* each month is being spent on fighting them instead of improving programming.

JL

18. Watcher

Watcher Guest

At the point of this thread is......
    Oh, all hackers will be stopped, dish will reduce subscription by 50% and everybody wins except the hackers - NOT!!!!!!!!!!

I don't hack but I don't support E* practices. They have been ripping off the consumers with all those fees for DVR's , downgrades and such - yet we still can't get a decent HD box working. Oh yeah , blame the Hackers they are the ones distracting E* from doing their job.

My 2 Cents

(I am a frequent visitor to the site but I don't care to register)

19. stonecold

stonecold Banned User

Feb 20, 2004
    Lets look at the reasons why dish has not pushed this cardswap. A. with typical dish They are working out bugs out of there firmware. While I have a 7200 with a nagra2 card in it a little buggy compared to they run with a nagra 1 card.

Dish though is not idley stnading by

back in just july they looped or disabled by throughing the card in a endless software loop one sereies of nagra 1 cards then just recently it happen to a another sereies of nagra 1 cards.

Dish is still activley attacking recievers with ecms and aiming attacks against FTA illegal users ( as there plenty of legal fta users out there)

I would not worry about the card swap dish knows what they are doing and will take care of them.

20. Dulley

Dulley Cool Member

May 23, 2004
    I also sub to Dishnetwork but i also like to read alot

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.