1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Dish Anywhere for Kindle Fire?

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by LtMunst, Apr 24, 2013.

1. LtMunst

LtMunst Hall Of Fame

Aug 24, 2005
    Any ideas when, if ever, the Dish Anywhere app will be available for the Kindle Fire?

1 person likes this.
  2. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    I would not expect a Kindle Fire version.

Amazon offers the Kindle to support their content services. Because the Kindle Fire is ostensibly an Android device, it comes down to Amazon deciding that they want to offer it and I'd imagine they aren't too keen on the idea of offering a product that significantly reduces the dependence on Amazon's primary focus (content).

3. LtMunst

LtMunst Hall Of Fame

Aug 24, 2005
    I doubt this is the case. There is a Kindle Fire app for Netflix, Hulu Plus and HBOGo...so it's not likely Amazon is blacklisting Dish. More likely that Dish has just not gotten around to submitting an app thru their process yet.

There is a Kindle Fire SlingPlayer app...but all the reviews say it does not work with the Dish Sling adapter or built in Hopper Sling (it's also $14.99).

4. AZ.

AZ. Legend

Mar 27, 2011
    • Try to email the apk. or back load it to your device?

5. LtMunst

LtMunst Hall Of Fame

Aug 24, 2005
    Haven't tried side loading it yet.

6. djlong

djlong Hall Of Fame

Jul 8, 2002
    New Hampshire
    As I recall, side loading requires the use of a Android phone to assist. Am I wrong in this?

7. LtMunst

LtMunst Hall Of Fame

Aug 24, 2005
    Yes. Lucky for me my wife has a Samsung Droid, so I'll have to give this sideloading thing a try.

It would of course be easier if Dish would stop ignoring a significant chunk of the tablet market and submit their app to Amazon.

1 person likes this.
  8. cloudnine

cloudnine New Member

Sep 30, 2009
    North Carolina
    I have the DISH Anywhere app on my Droid Razr and my Samsung tablet. I put the apk on a thumb drive and tonight I'm going to try and side load it to my wife's Kindle Fire.
    I'm going to transfer the apk to her computer then plug her KF in to the computer to transfer the file. So, technically you don't need an android phone to do this, just the apk.
    I'll report back on how it works.

9. LtMunst

LtMunst Hall Of Fame

Aug 24, 2005
    Cool, thanks.

10. cloudnine

cloudnine New Member

Sep 30, 2009
    North Carolina
    Just got home and side loaded the Dish Anywhere app to my wife's Kindle Fire and it installed and works perfectly. You have to "allow unauthorized apps to install" just like most Android devices. You'll find that in Settings. Go nuts!!

1 person likes this.
  11. LtMunst

LtMunst Hall Of Fame

Aug 24, 2005
    Awesome..thanks!

12. SDWC

SDWC AllStar

Dec 14, 2005
    Could someone kindly explain the steps in "plain english" how to do this? I'm pretty computer literate but have never done anything like this. My wife has the Kindle Fire HD 8.9 and I would love to be able to set this up for her.

Thank you in advance.

13. LtMunst

LtMunst Hall Of Fame

Aug 24, 2005
    Haven't done it myself yet, but I plan to follow the instructions in the below link:

http://www.ubergizmo.com/2011/11/kindle-fire-sideload/

14. AZ.

AZ. Legend

Mar 27, 2011
    Get the apk file....put it on a thumb drive,or email to yourself, or use an app sharing app....install....really nothing to it....Just access it from the Kindle and install.

15. mitchflorida

mitchflorida Godfather

May 18, 2009
    I just got a Kindle Fire HD 8.9 yesterday. To get DishAnywhere, just download the apk file here on your PC
    http://www.downloads.ws/android/app/com-sm-SlingGuide-Dish then copy it to your Kindle using the usb cable.

Then you install using ES File Explorer and allow install of applications. Works great!

16. jimmarby

jimmarby New Member

Dec 2, 2013
    Western Mass
    The download which mitchflorida supplied also workes on my regular Kindle Fire, thanks for the info Mitch.

17. Beardedbosn

Beardedbosn Mentor

Dec 9, 2002
    I have been looking at a number of ways to get the "Dish Anywhere"app onto my Kindle HD. Many were very complicated. I downloaded the app through the link provided by mitchflorida to my Mac. I have "Dropbox" on all my computers and the Kindle; it is a very handy file sharing program.

I copied the app file to to Dropbox and by doing so a copy was available on the Kindle. Opened "Dropbox" on the Kindle, clicked the app file and it loaded. Seems to work well right from the start. You do have to tell the Kindle to allow installation of all apps. Hope this helps someone.

Chris

18. WebTraveler

WebTraveler Icon

Apr 9, 2006
    You would think by now the folks at Dish and Amazon would have figured this out. All these work arounds, while they may work, are really silly. Common Dish, let's engage yourself here.

19. Wilf

Wilf Legend

Oct 15, 2008
    I would not blame Dish or Amazon - its the media companies. Also, the work-arounds keep getting easier and better.

20. mitchflorida

mitchflorida Godfather

May 18, 2009
    Actually it is Amazon's fault as they are blocking the DishAnywhere app from their app store.

You can bypass Amazon by downloading the 1MobileMarket app, it includes a lot of apps that Amazon doesn't carry in their app store.