1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dish behind chain link fence.

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by LynnW, May 25, 2013.

1. LynnW

LynnW Cool Member

Jul 9, 2012
    Can a usable signal be received if the dish is behind a chain link fence? The azimuth of the dish will be 10 to 20 degrees from being perpendicular to the fence.

2. jdspencer

jdspencer Hall Of Fame

Nov 7, 2003
    How tall is the fence? How tall is the dish? How far away from the fence is the dish?
    The signal comes in above where you think the dish is aimed, due to the offset of the LNB in relation to the dish.

3. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    I am not an installer but I read a lot on here.
    I have read that it is almost impossible to get a good signal thru a window of a house.
    The angle to the fence makes it block that much more of the signal.
    If there is any way to raise the dish or to relocate it so that the signal comes in above the fence I would do that.

4. LynnW

LynnW Cool Member

Jul 9, 2012
    The fence is four feet or so high. Mounting the dish as low as possible and as close as possible to the fence would be the situation. I could mount it above the fence, but I would have to get permission from the church behind my house to trim the lower branches of a large tree. The property line goes through the tree, but more of it is on their property.

The reason I ask, is because the neighbor's tree had grown to block my line of sight. She is also the president of the HOA. She had a screaming fit when I suggested moving the dish to the front of the house. I could not convince her that Federal regs supersede the HOA rules. Her idiotic reasoning is the HOA rules are the only rules that matter, because they were written by a lawyer. I would rather resolve this without a legal battle.

5. carl6

carl6 Moderator Staff Member DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    You either need to pull the dish back a ways from the fence, or elevate it to the height of the fence. It won't work shooting through the fence. Can you put it near your house, but aimed in that direction?

As to legal battles, just print out a copy of the FCC's rules and present it to her, politely asking how you can work together to resolve the problem.

6. peds48

peds48 Genius. DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    I think is safe to say that if the dish is a foot below the fence line, you will be able to get the signal since the focal point of this dish is offset from the center of the dish.

7. carl6

carl6 Moderator Staff Member DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    It really depends on whether it is right up against the fence, or is back a couple of feet.

is what the poster wants to do.

8. peds48

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    It has to be at least a foot or so to make "room" for the LNB arm

9. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    Without mounting (use a tripod or a chair or just hold it in your hands) "walk" with the dish and check signals - you will see where it should be.

10. peds48

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    not sure how to align a dish by holding it in ones hands…

11. Jacob Braun

Jacob Braun King of Awesome

Oct 5, 2011
    Tulsa, OK
    An 18" round, perhaps. A Slimline? Not a chance!

12. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    he'll need just find the edge, not do final aim

use a chair or dolly ... be inventive

if he will get 101W, then SL3 would works too

actually, why naysayers are here ? :D he is waiting for a positive solution !

13. west99999

west99999 Icon

May 11, 2007
    Its possible! I have held a KAKU in my hands and meter in the other and got signal many times.

14. peds48

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    This feat is impossible with both hands, let alone using one!!!

15. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    keep your negative THEORETICAL exercise for yourself - it is POSSIBLE and been done by many ppl include myself and west99999

16. slice1900

slice1900 Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2013
    Iowa
    At satellite frequencies the wavelengths are easily small enough to fit through the 'holes' in the fence, so it shouldn't block the signal entirely. I would think it would just reduce the effective "size" of the dish by 10% or so (whatever the percentage of fence that isn't see-thru) but otherwise pass a normal signal.

Has anyone ever tried aiming a dish through a chain link fence?

17. peds48

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    didn't know that 2 persons equals "many people" … :rolling:

18. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    but you are alone :D

btw, I did help assessment of one install (actually it was a call from the house's owner after nor DTV nor dish guy found no LOS) , so I manage to find the spot (actually a line from pedestrian lane to the house's roof) with portable spectrum analyzer (PSA-37D) and the SL AU-9.
    Telling me you are the "boss" ... oh no you are the "godphaser" :D

19. peds48

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    No I'm not, look at post #11. I was with you when you said use a tripod, but holding on you bare hands….dont se it happening… and no I am not going to waste my time trying something that is almost impossible….

20. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    told yeah - use spectrum analyzer ! and you'll be fine ... wait ! you are not TS ;)