1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dish better NOT add BigTen Network

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by jeffwtux, Jul 27, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jeffwtux

jeffwtux Icon

Apr 27, 2002
    I can't believe the illogical panicking here. All of these hypotheticals are will never happen. There is no way that the BigTen Network can survive if only Direct(which is basically paying NOTHING FOR IT) and some small cable companies(probably getting a cheaper rate than $1.10 as a loss-leader for the real prizes of Comcast, TWC, and Dish) take it. Frankly, it's Comcast alone that holds all the cards. If they say no, the BigTen network folds. It's that simple. They won't be around past September for you to switch to DirecTV. I really don't see how Rupert and the BigTen Network can win this battle. Comcast has all the cards here. Why would Brian Roberts give in to the BigTen Network. What does he have to be afraid of? How can he lose? Hopefully this battle will be the turning point in over-priced sports TV contracts.
    The people paying for this network are the little old grannies who never watch even NFL games let alone BigTen football.

I personally called that phone number 866-IWANT-B10 and left a message for Charlie, but I just bashed away at the BigTen Network and supported Charlie.
    Go Charlie, Go Brian Roberts, and Go Comcast.

2. jeffwtux

jeffwtux Icon

Apr 27, 2002
    Oh, and when I say "take it" in respect to Comcast, I mean carry the BigTen network on at least the Digital Basic Package. If BigTen Network is a ala carte channel, it will fail. Clearly, B10Net knows this too. That's why they are fighting to the death.

3. norton54

norton54 Mentor

Feb 2, 2006
    I guarentee you that this is just the start. All the other conferences will be doing the same thing real soon.

4. jeffwtux

jeffwtux Icon

Apr 27, 2002
    There are so many problems with this. I don't know where to start. It's unrealistically overpriced. It's a vertical monopoly with DirecTV using it to gain overcharge their competitors and gain a competitive advantage. There is no demand for these networks, especially on basic packages. I get more excited about this form of brutal and ruthless warfare than I do about the sports itself.

5. jeffwtux

jeffwtux Icon

Apr 27, 2002
    They are financed by overcharging old grannies who never watch sports and making them pay $3/month ESPN. They will put up with that for now. This is going to be the straw that breaks the camels back. Plus, ESPN isn't owned by a cable/DBS company. It's a pure play media broadcaster, no conflict, big difference. Plenty of networks fail, so it can happen no matter how much money is at stake........BTW: did you see what was on SportsChannel America last night? Remember that one? IT FAILED!!

6. gopherscot

gopherscot Legend

Mar 25, 2002
    Most old granny's I know don't have a satellite dish .... many can't even afford cable.

7. cumberlandredskin

cumberlandredskin AllStar

Feb 5, 2004
    If the Big Ten succeeds then many of the other conferences will do the same. The SEC is looking into having their own channel. But if the Big Ten Network folds things will stay the same. This is really a huge test case for all of college sports.

8. jeffwtux

jeffwtux Icon

Apr 27, 2002
    I would advise the SEC to not have their network be owned by a cable/DBS network if they want it to survive. It's a regulatory mess and should be illegal.

9. Ira Lacher

Ira Lacher Icon

Apr 24, 2002
    But there's ample precedent for this, such as Viacom owning cable nets as well as studios that produce the products shown on those nets.

Forget regulation: let the market rule.

10. jeffwtux

jeffwtux Icon

Apr 27, 2002

That's why I hate these sport tv deals so much. They DON'T LET THE FREE MARKET RULE. Old Grannies(and the average Senior citizen is FAR FAR FAR RICHER AND LOADED than the average GenXer) who never watch sports aren't demanding this station, yet they will be forced to pay for it. How is that "free market"? And it's not the same thing as Viacom. Were other TV content producer(I HATE HATE HATE HATE THE TERM "cable net" way too vague) forced to used Viacom's studios? NO. That's free market. They are trying to get one group of people(cable tv subscribers who never watch sports) to be paying for something that advertisers aren't, because advertising IS the GREATEST FREE MARKET THERE IS. I love commercials. I wish there were far more of them. Commercials mean somebody else is paying for something AND I'M NOT!!!!

11. LinkNuc

LinkNuc Legend

Jul 4, 2007
    I am a PSU grad and a huge Nittany Lions football fan, but there is no way in heck I would pay for the network...

wel then again I get all the games anyway living in PA, hell I got em all in NJ and Northh East OH

12. richiephx

richiephx Godfather

Jan 18, 2006
    I could care less about the Big 10 Network and I won't pay extra for it and I don't want my package rates to increase if it's added. Let the people who want it pay for it. If it fails, so be it.

13. WebTraveler

WebTraveler Icon

Apr 9, 2006
    Not if this fails. The Mtn has already failed. The cable and satellite operators have a worst nightmare if these succeed - everyone will jump on the band wagon.

The issue is this - despute what the Big 10 is saying it really is a regional sports network. While I am a fan of college football, and nonetheless would watch some of the college football games on it, I am in Oregon, Pac-10 country. I am not interested in seeing my rates jacked up because of it, period.

We already get a lot of second tier games on ESPNU and CSTV, not sure that paying even more for a Big 10 channel is my interests or anyone's interest outside of the core Big 10 fan.

14. gopherscot

gopherscot Legend

Mar 25, 2002
    Wow Richie .... living in Phoenix that would put you back one whole dime. Give me it and I have no problem paying extra for the service. It is better in a sports package but the BTN doesn't want it in that package. If you want to blame somebody ... blame Direct TV because they are the one creating the mess for all the others. They set the precedent!

15. hoopsbwc34

hoopsbwc34 Legend

Aug 13, 2002
    Ahh... but it's majority owned by the Big-10 itself :lol: 51% is a majority

16. hoopsbwc34

hoopsbwc34 Legend

Aug 13, 2002
    I don't think you can compare this to the Moutain West Conference... this is a BCS conference, and probably one of the most popular.

As a side note, the Big-10 is thinking about EXPANDING JUST FOR THE NETWORK... crazy

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=2950700

17. heisman

heisman Icon

Feb 11, 2007
    BTN has signed with ATT, which is bigger than all those companies you mention, and has a much bigger footprint than Comcast throughout the Big Ten. Comcast isn't even available in Columbus.

18. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    If only it were that simple! It isn't like his rates would go up a dime and those in the special states would pay $1.10 more ... that's the rates E* is expected to pay. He will have to subsidize viewers in other states. :)

Yep. They are pretty lousy at caving in to the demands of programmers. Just name your price and D* adds the channel? It helps that they don't have an AT100 level plan ... forcing all of their subscribers to pay more.

At least they won't have to change the initials ... Big Twelve Network ?

19. scooper

scooper Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    Youngsville NC
    Big Twelve is already a conference - used to be the Big Eight until the Texas schools got added in.

20. Jim5506

Jim5506 Hall Of Fame

Jun 7, 2004
    Maybe they'll go for truth in advertising and rename it the big four and little eight conference;).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.