1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dish Billing Practices

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by PBowie, Mar 16, 2010.

1. PBowie

PBowie Legend

Jan 4, 2006
    Florida
    I am confused with Dish's billing practices

I have noticed a $5 late fee on my account for months - possibly years !

my payment is due on the 7th to which they always get paid by that date
    but only for the previous month used
    I know they bill in advance but-I certainly dont get paid in advance and I certainly cannot watch any TV in advance and so I have paid the old fashioned way of the previous month always leaving the coming month as a balance and so they are hitting me with a late fee

so.. IS it legal to add late fees for bills that are in the future?

:confused:

2. bjamin82

bjamin82 Godfather

Sep 4, 2007
    Colorado...
    Everyone bills a month of service a head of time... Cell Phone, ISP ect. Its not illegal.

It sounds like if you pay them by the due date each month and still get charged a late is because you are leaving a balance.

3. garys

garys Hall Of Fame

Nov 4, 2005
    Yep, they are applying the payment to the balance. If the current bill is not paid within several days of the due date (I think it may be 10 days, but am not completely sure) you get the $5 charge. Paying a month after the due day will certainly give you the fee every month.

4. PBowie

PBowie Legend

Jan 4, 2006
    Florida
    Seems really weird that I pay a late fee for the future though ?

5. scooper

scooper Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    Youngsville NC
    Normally - when you first start service, you get billed for the first 2 months , then 1 month thereafter. Did you only pay for the one month and haven't caught up since ?

At $5 / month of late fees - that's a month of AT200 over a year.

6. tsmacro

tsmacro Hall Of Fame

Apr 28, 2005
    East...
    Dish's business model includes billing you in advance for their services (as well as many other companies for that matter). So yes if you don't pay the full amount due before the due date (which includes next months charges) you do get charged a late fee. It's actually pretty common to pay for what you want first and then use it, unless it's a large purchase like a vehicle or house for example. Since Dish doesn't offer credit on their services you don't get to use it first and then pay, at least not without paying a late fee.

7. SayWhat?

SayWhat? Know Nothing

Jun 6, 2009
    Just pay Annually. Pull the scab off all at once and get it over with.

8. Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Roving Reporter Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    Lots of services have billed for "future" service in advance for many years.

Also, this should be spelled out in the agreements you read/sign when signing up for service... so it shouldn't be a surprise.

9. BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    Not only are you paying a late fee, but by constantly paying late, you have also assured that you are a "Plan C" customer (the lowest rating), so you'll pay a LOT more for upgrades than a "Plan A" customer, and won't qualify for many offers/freebees.

10. VDP07

VDP07 Godfather

Feb 22, 2006
    Paying your bill late can definatly cause you to be rated lower for existing customer offers. Other than the Dishmover promo, which does have A, B, and C ratings, E* has done away with the C rating.

11. BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    I know, but "C" *is* still around, and definitely pays more. Even for other upgrades that now only have A and B, he's still a B when he could be an A and save money.

12. jclewter79

jclewter79 Hall Of Fame

Jan 8, 2008
    How can I find out if I am ranked as an A or B customer?

13. coldsteel

coldsteel Hall Of Fame

Mar 29, 2007
    Call or chat in, see what adding a 722 costs. If the box is free, you're an 'A'. :D

14. PBowie

PBowie Legend

Jan 4, 2006
    Florida
    Im sending in my extra payment as we type !
    thanks guys