1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DISH Brings Local TV Channels to Tri-Cities, Tenn. - Va.

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by Chris Blount, Feb 19, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chris Blount

Chris Blount Creator of DBSTalk Staff Member Administrator DBSTalk Gold Club

Jun 22, 2001
    ENGLEWOOD, Colo.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Feb. 19, 2004--EchoStar Communications Corporation (Nasdaq:DISH) announced today that its DISH Network(TM) will offer local TV channels by satellite television to the Tri-Cities area.

The following local TV channels are offered: CBS Ch. 11 (WJHL), NBC Ch. 5 (WCYB), FOX Ch. 39 (WEMT) and PBS Ch. 47 (WSBN).

This is the first time local TV channels are available by satellite TV in the Tri-Cities area, providing an alternative to local cable TV service. Local channels will be offered at $5.99 per month with a $1 credit for DISH Network customers in the Tri-Cities area until the local ABC affiliate is added to the local programming package. DISH Network also provides digital video recording technologies and high definition TV channels to Tri-Cities.

"The availability of local channels on DISH Network gives TV viewers in the Tri-Cities area an even more compelling reason to switch from cable," said Michael Schwimmer, senior vice president of Programming at EchoStar. "Customers who are fed up with the cable companies' outrageous rate increases now have access to local news, weather and sports via all-digital satellite TV -- only on DISH Network -- at an affordable price."

DISH Network offers local channels via satellite to Tri-Cities, Tenn. - Va. customers in eight Virginia counties including: Buchanan, Dickenson, Lee, Russell, Scott, Smyth, Washington and Wise. Tri-Cities local channels are also available in seven Tennessee counties including Carter, Greene, Hawkins, Johnson, Sullivan, Unicoi and Washington, as well as Leslie and Letcher counties in Kentucky.

With the addition of Tri-Cities, Tenn. - Va., DISH Network offers local channels in a total of 107 cities and their metro areas in 47 states nationwide, plus the District of Columbia.

Full Press Release

2. JohnH

JohnH Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
  3. Chris Blount

Chris Blount Creator of DBSTalk Staff Member Administrator DBSTalk Gold Club

Jun 22, 2001
    Sorry about that John. If I would have seen that thread I wouldn't have reposted. My eyes were a little blurry this morning. :)

4. JohnH

JohnH Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    Well, with the Tri Cities(3 channels) and the Quad Cities(3 channels) you don't even get enough channels to have one for each city. :(

5. George_T

George_T Legend

Sep 19, 2002
    I'm a DirecTV customer in the Tri-Cities, but just curious on why Dish isn't broadcasting the ABC feed (WKPT)? Out of the major networks in the Tri-Cities, WKPT is EASILY the least watched of all of them. Ratings were so low for their local news that they are now showing a feed of the CBS's affiliate's news broadcast (WJHL) instead of producing their news themselves. Their signal is the worse of the major networks as well. It would seem to me that it would definitely benefit WKPT to get a carriage agreement finalized ASAP if this is the issue. They need all the viewers they can get!

6. Randall DBS

Randall DBS Legend

Aug 4, 2002
    Yea I live in Washington County, TN and WKPT denied the waiver the first time I put in for it and the second time they never gave Dish a response so it was automatically approved. There reception is so poor OTA and even on Comcast. I would think they would want to be up on Dish so that people might start watching them. I thought the reson WJHL owned the station because they have been broadcasting there newscast. But it is nice that our market is actually up on Dish now. O by the way George T, noticed that you live in Greeneville. Nice to see somebody closer to home.

7. George_T

George_T Legend

Sep 19, 2002
    Randall,

FWIW, E-mailed WKPT about the issue, and received this response from the station's president. Thought you might be interested.

Given that I'm a DirecTV customer, it's good to see that they do have a carriage agreement in place with them for once locals are distributed. Hopefully, it will be April when D* begins to distribute locals, but I have my doubts that it will happen that quickly. Hopefully, they will get the carriage issue finalized soon for E* customers.

Been a Greenevillian (if that's the term) for about 6 years. Lived in Bristol for that long before moving to Greeneville to be closer to my wife's family. It's really a nice area, Greeneville and the Tri-Cities as a whole. Compared to major cities, it's much safer, people are friendly and it's a good place to raise your children. Hope you post again!

8. Randall DBS

Randall DBS Legend

Aug 4, 2002
    Yea Ive lived in Washington County in Telford all of my life. It is a nice area. Ive worked in Kingsport for the last couple of months due to being moved from Johnson City (Williams Electric). Iwas hoping to get moved to Greenville but that was a no go lol. But anyway maybe WKPT will be avaliable in the next couple of days/weeks on Dish. We shall see.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.