1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Dish callout failing

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by kcolg30, Jun 4, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jun 4, 2010 #1 of 21
    kcolg30

kcolg30 Godfather

May 11, 2010
    Can someone please check to see if they can call out to view your bill via the phone line. My fails at retrieving the info, but is able to call out OK.

Thanks

2. Jun 4, 2010 #2 of 21
    finniganps

finniganps Hall Of Fame

Jan 23, 2004
    Only works if you have a land line or perhaps Vonage. Are you using broadband?

3. Jun 4, 2010 #3 of 21
    kcolg30

kcolg30 Godfather

May 11, 2010
    Did you not read the part that I said "via phone line"?

4. Jun 4, 2010 #4 of 21
    James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    Vonage runs over broadband. The question is what kind of phone service do you have? "Plain old telephone service" or something special (such as digital phone service from a cable company or Vonage or MagicJack or Skype)?

5. Jun 4, 2010 #5 of 21
    kcolg30

kcolg30 Godfather

May 11, 2010
    It is a plain old phone. I just wanted someone to check to see if they can view their statement via the "plain old phone line". I can connect but when I choose to view my statement the receiver just freezes. I have been able to do this for years.

I just wanted to see if it was my system or if it was a spread wide issue. Calling DISH and speaking with a CSR is not an option.

6. Jun 4, 2010 #6 of 21
    TulsaOK

TulsaOK New Member

Feb 23, 2004
    Let's not be quite so snippy especially since you didn't understand his response.

7. Jun 4, 2010 #7 of 21
    Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Doctor Whom Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    I feel compelled to ask... Why is calling Dish and speaking with a CSR not an option?

If you have it plugged into a standard phone line, and you have a traditional landline telephone service... then you might have a failing modem in the receiver. If so, you'd definitely have to call and talk to a CSR.

8. Jun 4, 2010 #8 of 21
    kcolg30

kcolg30 Godfather

May 11, 2010
    If I have a failing modem then I would not be able to order PPV or receive caller ID. Since I can do both of those then obviously the problem is with DISH. All I was asking was for someone to test it out on their end to see if the problem is localized or wide spread. I thought asking this question here would be better than talking to a someone at DISH that speaks English as a eighth language in a third world country. It seems a simple question like the one I asked gets me the same result.

Plus with all the HD for life crap that is flooding the lines at DISH...I do not want to be on hold with DISH for 4 hours for a simple quick question

9. Jun 4, 2010 #9 of 21
    Slamminc11

Slamminc11 Hall Of Fame

Jan 27, 2005
    I'm guessing that the CSR's that work at the nine U.S. based call centers across the country might not find your statement that enduring. You are doing a great job of making friends and influencing people between this site and the other! :nono2:

10. oljim

oljim Godfather

Aug 6, 2002
    It worked for me yesterday, looked at and paid my bill on my 622

11. normang

normang Icon

Nov 14, 2002
    Ordering PPV is not an immediate call. If your receiver is failing to call, as far as I understand, it can queue up the PPV charges, are you getting billed for your PPV on previous bills? Which potentially means that you could get a bill shock if you watch PPV routinely and its not reporting your viewing.

Since you are obviously on the internet, you can always view your bills on Dish's website to check

12. SaltiDawg

SaltiDawg New Member

Aug 30, 2004
    You continue to demonstrate that you don't understand how your receiver works and yet you make snide comments about those that could help you. Your modem has absolutely nothing to do with ordering PPV and I can only speculate that your modem being able to "see" and display Caller ID does not equate to being sure that other modem functions are working.

:rolleyes:

13. oljim

oljim Godfather

Aug 6, 2002
    Was ok yesterday but today both of my 622s locked up before it would let me view my bill just a few min ago

14. phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    There may be problems related to Dish restructuring the bills to add "HD for Life." You are tapping into a database. Certainly the online account access system has been on-again-off-again the last couple of days.

15. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    DISH needs to make this work with a broadband connection as well as a phone line. Nothing should be "phone line only" on a receiver with an ethernet connection. I wonder how many upgrades they have lost because of the lack of instant order access?

They allow PPV ordering (although delayed billing) via the ethernet connection. It would take creating a live connection to get the customer service application working but it shouldn't be any harder than the live connection they have for DISHOnline download ordering. At some point it should be cheaper to maintain an internet server than a phone bank.

16. kcolg30

kcolg30 Godfather

May 11, 2010
    And you continue as others to speculate on how my system works. If I order PPV and place a call out and my system purges my PPV order then obviously my modem is working and connecting to DISH. The issue has been resolved as it worked fine today. Instead of making assumptions and BS comments on how my system is connected or whether I understand my receiver, all you had to do, which is all I asked what to test out your connection to see if it was working.

17. kcolg30

kcolg30 Godfather

May 11, 2010
    Thank you for confirming exactly what was happening to me yesterday on my receiver. I appreciate your response. Too bad that all the geniuses that posted above could not do a simple test which you were able to do. The DISH CSR is strong with them.

I appreciate your help. Thank you

Edited: For spelling to satisfy the grammar nerds. Also since this issue has been resolved there is no need to waste anymore bandwidth on this thread. The MODS can close this out if they wish.

18. sigma1914

sigma1914 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
    :lol: Geniuses, huh?

19. Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Doctor Whom Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    Glad to hear it is working again... Maybe there was a system-issue, or related to the upgrades that had the Dish Web site inaccessible at times.

20. SaltiDawg

SaltiDawg New Member

Aug 30, 2004
    Pointing out that you were and remain absolutely clueless about how ordering PPV does not involve your modem is not the same as "speculating" how the modem works.

I suspect that the reason you have difficulty dealing with CSRs is obvious to the rest of us. :rolleyes:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.