1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dish channel moves today

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by dennispap, Mar 13, 2013.

1. dennispap

dennispap Icon

Feb 1, 2007
    TRU-TV moved from 204 to 242
    SpikeTV moved from 168 to 241
    NUVO moved from 167 to 243

You will have to redo any timers.

2. dennispap

dennispap Icon

Feb 1, 2007
    I meant to post this in the general dish thread. Maybe a mod can move it please. Thanks

3. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    So moved ... and Spike finally gets away from the kids programs.
    TruTV is probably better off away from the news channels.
    Hopefully the shuffles are a sign of good to come.

4. Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Roving Reporter Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    Fixed my favorites lists after seeing the uplink report.

I had a custom favorites that included TRU for the upcoming NCAA tournament games starting next week.

5. jsk

jsk Icon

Dec 27, 2006
    Fallston, MD
    It would be nice if Dish was able to automatically update favorite lists and timers when there are channel changes.

6. Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Roving Reporter Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    I have mentioned this before... In cases where they know the changes being made, it seems like they could make the firmware smart enough that they could send an update that automatically changes favorites lists and timers from the old to the new when they move a channel to a different number.

It really could/should be painless for the customer.

7. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    Just when I say that there are not enough moves to make such a feature worthwhile DISH will increase the number of moves. :)

But here is a thought ... there is an internal channel number. For TRU the internal numbers for the SD channels are 223 (WA) and 20204 (EA). The internal numbers for the HD channels are 4130 (4204 both arcs), 4416 (4416 on spot), 17706 (4416 on different spot), 18223 (4423 WA), 24523 (4423 EA), 18430 (4424 both arcs), 18625 (4524 on spot), 18626 (4524 on different spot), 5556 (5556 on spot), 17722 (5556 on different spot) and 5375 (9430 on both spots). These internal numbers stayed the same when the channels moved to 242. (I have not checked the internal numbers for the other two channels.)

So if they tied the recordings to the internal channel number theoretically the recordings would move with the display channel.

Even in the current case I am surprised that the HD timers did not remain set. They are on the same "public" four digit channels. If the timers were set on the four digit number instead of the mapdown the timer should have survived.

But it is apparent that DISH uses the mapdown number if timers are set on it for HD (the Hopper/Joey do not show the higher four digit channels). And DISH uses the public channel number for SD channels. So the timers must be checked and reset.

It doesn't happen that often ... until it happens often enough to annoy. :)

Another common request is to update timers when a HD version is added. That would be a nice feature as well. It would not be helped by using the "internal channel number" but teaching the machine to notice that there is a HD channel and make the change should not be impossible (using the mapdown numbers).

Then again ... people would complain that their hard drives filled when their SD timer turned into a HD timer and took up all their space. Which means it would probably need an "OFF" switch and some explanatory text.

One further note: Thanks to name based recording anything set on those channels would fail. So people who were out of town when the channels moved were out of luck. :(