1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DISH Claims only pay-TV provider to offer HD multi-channel view technology

Discussion in 'DISH™ High Definition Discussion' started by camo, Mar 18, 2016.

1. camo

camo Godfather

Apr 15, 2010
    Noticed in latest news Dish is making this claim,
    • DISH is the only pay-TV provider to offer HD multi-channel view technology"
    But topic is locked. Is this really new? Directv has had this feature for years. Tennis, Golf, baseball, Football, or are we playing the word game here?

2. TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol Hall Of Fame

Oct 1, 2003
    Phoenix, AZ
    I think they're talking about Sports Bar Mode, which allows you to view any 4 channels at once on one screen.

I sure would like to see a video of how that works.

3. camo

camo Godfather

Apr 15, 2010
    But its not new to Directv, example Masters tournament will have 4 split screens in HD all viewable at once. Sunday ticket, tennis tournaments etc. Unless I'm not understanding what multi-channel view means. Why I said play on words.

1 person likes this.
  4. lparsons21

lparsons21 Hall Of Fame

Mar 4, 2006
    Herrin, IL
    It is very new and different because it is available all the time for any channels. You get 4 screen is a 2x2 pattern and you can pick which channels quite easily. Other multi-screen views just work sometimes on a pre-selected group of channels by the provider.
    I played around with it yesterday and it works very well.

Sent from my iPad Pro using Tapatalk

1 person likes this.
  5. anex80

anex80 Legend

Jul 29, 2005
    Midwest
    Agree with lparsons21. This multi-view option on the Dish Hopper 3 is available anytime and you can customize all 4 channels. You can even put OTA or DVR content in one of the boxes. Plus, you can use trick-play on each box separately. I've never seen anything anything like this on any provider before. [​IMG]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1 person likes this.
  6. PCampbell

PCampbell Icon

Nov 18, 2006
    An HR44 or 54 could do this if Directv changed the PIP software. It would be nice.

7. lparsons21

lparsons21 Hall Of Fame

Mar 4, 2006
    Herrin, IL
    Direct could do a lot of things with their gear, including a revamp of the UI. But they've chosen a much more conservative approach which means relatively minor changes along the way.

8. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    I believe the key concepts are choosing one's own channels (not a mosaic engineered at the uplink) and having all four images in HD (instead of each screen being less than HD resolution).

1 person likes this.
  9. camo

camo Godfather

Apr 15, 2010
    Very nice having the choice of channels and ability to use anytime is a nice feature.

10. scottchez

scottchez Icon

Feb 4, 2003
    For example:
    They have a button , you press it and all 4 of the basketball tourney madness games came up.
    I then customized it.
    -
    I then made a Local News Mix to see the local breaking news event.
    Later I made a national news mix with the big networks to watch election coverage.
    TO make sure it was not transponder limited, I then mixed it up with Local channels, local over the air channel, HBO, and Discovery
    So many possibilities, very cool.

1 person likes this.
  11. camo

camo Godfather

Apr 15, 2010
    Question can you save this mix channels or do you have to setup every time. If you can save it that would be sweet and have it show in channel guide.

12. lparsons21

lparsons21 Hall Of Fame

Mar 4, 2006
    Herrin, IL
    No way to save that I could find.

Sent from my iPad Pro using Tapatalk

13. TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol Hall Of Fame

Oct 1, 2003
    Phoenix, AZ
    D* SO needs to do this on their next box. This would be great for sports. Dish sure has gotten their hardware right, blowing D* out of the water.

14. scottchez

scottchez Icon

Feb 4, 2003
    Setup everytime. Kind of a pain.

15. DBSSTEPHEN

DBSSTEPHEN Legend

Oct 13, 2009
    SALEM,MISSOU...
    DirecTV already has that it's called the DirecTV Sports Mix Channel

16. lparsons21

lparsons21 Hall Of Fame

Mar 4, 2006
    Herrin, IL
    Which isn't exactly the same. Dish's lets you pick what channels you want in multi-channel view. They've had a sports mix thing for years. They never did take advantage of it as well as DirecTV has of theirs.

Sent from my App Runtime for Chrome using Tapatalk

17. DBSSTEPHEN

DBSSTEPHEN Legend

Oct 13, 2009
    SALEM,MISSOU...
    Yeah but DirecTV has 6 channels in they're mix channel Dish only has 4

18. lparsons21

lparsons21 Hall Of Fame

Mar 4, 2006
    Herrin, IL
    In the sports mix you are correct. In the multi-view it is 6 and you get to pick the six. Essentially I can pick a mix of any 6 channels in multi-view.

Sent from my App Runtime for Chrome using Tapatalk

19. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    Six windowed screens you cannot change (on DIRECTV) vs four full quarter screens that can be changed (on DISH).
    Six windows at less than HD resolution (the entire screen is HD, the windows are smaller).
    Four quarters of the 4K/UHD screen maintaining 1080 resolution for each image.

Sports Bar mode is a nice feature.

20. DBSSTEPHEN

DBSSTEPHEN Legend

Oct 13, 2009
    SALEM,MISSOU...
    The Direct TV sports mix is available in HD only and it's available to all customers with no matter what HD receiver you have dishes you have to have a 4K receiver to get it so how is they're better than Directv when more customers can receive Direct TV sports mix Channel