1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

DISH Customer Service and Retention Useless....

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by sega_102, Jan 26, 2013.

1. sega_102

sega_102 New Member

Jan 26, 2013
    After 3.5 years, bye bye dish.

I called Dish on Thursday and told them I was thinking about getting Direct TV and wanted to know if they had a similar deal.

I was offered a hopper with sling and 2 joeys for a little bit more than I am paying now. No upfront fees.... I called back about an hour later to confirm I would be getting the hopper with sling and was told I would.

Fast forward to today. The installer came and did about 30 minutes worth of work. He then went to get the Hopper and told me that the work order said it was just a hopper. He called Dish and they said the Hopper with Sling would be 200 dollars extra. I said no, they transfered me to Retention who told me they'd knock 100 dollars off the price. I still said no and they immediately canceled the work order. The poor installer didn't even get paid for the time he spent here.

I was going to sign a 2 year contract worth almost 2000 dollars and Dish wanted to argue with about 100 dollars.... What terrible customer service.

I guess I'll be calling DirecTV this week and calling Dish for the final time early this week.

Edit --

To clarify, I did not speak with the DIRT team. I got them confused. I spoke with Customer Retention.

2. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    sh!t happening all times with all companies ... beware !

3. damondlt

damondlt New Member

Feb 27, 2006
    Newfoundland...
    Yep call Directv. Welcome aboard.

4. lparsons21

lparsons21 Hall Of Fame

Mar 4, 2006
    Herrin, IL
    Yep, call DirecTV, but keep in mind they are no better or worse with existing customers in general. Both have issues that keep popping up.

5. Bradrlz

Bradrlz Cool Member

Jan 18, 2013
    Agree Dish CSR are a complete waste

6. tampa8

tampa8 Godfather/Supporter

Mar 30, 2002
    OR - you left the deal over just $100. Sometimes we stop thinking and just react. Looking at it when not in the situation, and because I do my homework, I would pay the $100 because that's how much better I like the Dish system and packages.

And beyond that, not sure I can believe your post, first it's your only post here, but more than that I have never heard of being "Transferred" to DIRT...

7. sega_102

sega_102 New Member

Jan 26, 2013
    How am I losing anything? I'll be just as happy with DirecTV and the 2 year price is about the same.

And they asked me if I wanted transfered to retention because they couldn't do anything. I said yes. The installer was standing right there with me, but he couldn't do anything of course.

The main reason I wanted to stay with Dish is the 30 second skip. I like it better than D*'s but I just found out that I could change the 30 second skid to 30 second skip with DirecTV with a simple command.

8. damondlt

damondlt New Member

Feb 27, 2006
    Newfoundland...
    Yep, Sorry too much BS comes with Dish service.

I'll take a slightly worst HD DVR, and Stable programming anyday of the week.;)

1 person likes this.
  9. Inkosaurus

Inkosaurus Icon

Jul 29, 2011
    I fail to see how DIRT is involved with them as they are an Internet Response Team on this forum and are not an actual department you can speak to nor be transferred to over the phone.

I also fail to see how a contract thats worth 200$ is suddenly worth 2000$ (as you put it).
    Even with all the equipment value tallied up its no where near 2 grand.

10. damondlt

damondlt New Member

Feb 27, 2006
    Newfoundland...
    Really?
    What does Dish all of a sudden provide free monthly programming now?:rolleyes:

11. bobukcat

bobukcat Hall Of Fame

Dec 20, 2005
    Sorry you had a bad experience but don't be surprised if you end up in the same boat when you want to upgrade with D* next time. And don't confuse retention department with DiRT who I believe are Internet focused resources. I will say though that my experience with E*'s CSRs and definitely the DiRT people here have always been much better than most other companies, but of course I'm better educated than many people about a lot of this stuff thanks to this forum

12. sega_102

sega_102 New Member

Jan 26, 2013
    Let's see $85 per month x 24 month contract = $2040. I know this isn't complete profit, but it's much more profit than $0 they will get when I switch.

The bottom line is, I was promised something, The technician showed up to my door with something else, and dish wouldn't resolve the issue.

13. sega_102

sega_102 New Member

Jan 26, 2013
    I've had no problem with the up to this point. I even used Dish Mover with 0 problems.

14. Inkosaurus

Inkosaurus Icon

Jul 29, 2011
    Fair enough :lol:

15. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    On average DISH normally clears around $5 per month per subscriber. Sure, you cost them money by cancelling the install after some work was completed - but the profit is more like $120 ... and they only make that if you stay the full two years (hence the penalty for early termination).

I'm sorry you were disappointed. I hope you enjoy your service with whatever provider you end up using.

16. CheriT @ DISH Network

CheriT @ DISH Network DISH Representative DISH Representative

Dec 28, 2010
    Hi, I am very sorry for the issue that you have experienced with our service. I can understand how frustrating this is for you. I'd be happy to review your account and see what I can do to assist you. Can you please send me a PM with your account number or phone number on the account? Thanks!

17. damondlt

damondlt New Member

Feb 27, 2006
    Newfoundland...
    Sorry don't buy that! Back up that statement.:nono:

Dish wanted me too pay $212 on a 2 hopper 4 joey system including tax.
    For the pack I wanted, and monthly fees Total price per month was $169
    OK first 3 months was only discounted $75 (30 in rebates and 45 in premium rebates)
    Then From Month 4-12 it cost me $140 per month

Month 13-24 $169 per month

So out of total programming and upfront fees of $3800 if I full fill my contract
    Dish only makes $120. :hurah::hurah:

Even if I canceled after the first month, they would have still gotton the $212 I paid upfront and gotton all their receivers back as well as the $480 ETF
    that $692 for sending out a tech dropping a dish and some coax.:rolleyes:

18. damondlt

damondlt New Member

Feb 27, 2006
    Newfoundland...
    Just saying. :lol::D

19. sega_102

sega_102 New Member

Jan 26, 2013
    I sent you a PM .

20. Paul Secic

Paul Secic Hall Of Fame